LaunchBox Community Forums

Option to move the cache folder?

Imgema

Launchbox creates a cache folder in the images tree where it saves thousands upon thousands of tiny files, as you use the program. These files are also re-created every time you change some options or refresh your images.

This seems like too much of a stress for an HDD, especially an SSD drive where you don't want so many writes to happen.

Unfortunately, it seems you have no control over this folder. You can't disable it and you can't move it without moving everything else with it. I'd like to just move it into my RAMDISK so i won't have to worry about needless wear and tear on the HDD. Is there any other way to do so?

Thank you.

Edited by Imgema

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Just thought I would give people a little tutorial here on how to use "mklink" for the Launchbox Cache. This method worked for me very well when I moved the Cache to my SSD, I found that I could now use images set to there highest quality without any impact on performance and the images look great on a 4k TV. So here is what worked for me:

1. First download and install LINK SHELL EXTENSION found here http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/linkshellextension.html You should now have the option when you right click on a file to "Pick Link Source".

2. On your SSD where you want your cache to be located create a folder called "cache"

3. Go to your Launchbox folder and find the original cache folder under images and copy everything in the cache folder to your new cache folder on your SSD. (this may take a while, alternatively you could just delete everything in the original cache folder if you wish but you will have to repopulate it later after the folder is linked, not a big deal really I just leave launchbox in "attract mode" so it gets filled up).

4. Once you have copied everything (or deleted everything) from the original cache folder also delete the actual original cache folder itself as well (this part is important).

5. now go to your SSD and right click your new cache folder you created earlier and select "Pick Link Source"

6. now go to your IMAGES folder in launchbox right click it and select "Create Junction" This will automatically create a new cache folder (where you deleted the original) inside the images folder with a little chain icon attached to it indicating that it is now linked to your SSD cache folder! That's it simple but took me a while to get my head around so I just thought I would post this.

A way to test if this is working correctly is to do the same with your platform videos folder, if after following the instructions above your videos display properly, everything is working fine! or of course you could just watch the space left on your SSD as the cache fills up.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 4/7/2017 at 5:04 PM, Levo_Stone said:

Just thought I would give people a little tutorial here on how to use "mklink" for the Launchbox Cache. This method worked for me very well when I moved the Cache to my SSD, I found that I could now use images set to there highest quality without any impact on performance and the images look great on a 4k TV. So here is what worked for me:

1. First download and install LINK SHELL EXTENSION found here http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/linkshellextension.html You should now have the option when you right click on a file to "Pick Link Source".

2. On your SSD where you want your cache to be located create a folder called "cache"

3. Go to your Launchbox folder and find the original cache folder under images and copy everything in the cache folder to your new cache folder on your SSD. (this may take a while, alternatively you could just delete everything in the original cache folder if you wish but you will have to repopulate it later after the folder is linked, not a big deal really I just leave launchbox in "attract mode" so it gets filled up).

4. Once you have copied everything (or deleted everything) from the original cache folder also delete the actual original cache folder itself as well (this part is important).

5. now go to your SSD and right click your new cache folder you created earlier and select "Pick Link Source"

6. now go to your IMAGES folder in launchbox right click it and select "Create Junction" This will automatically create a new cache folder (where you deleted the original) inside the images folder with a little chain icon attached to it indicating that it is now linked to your SSD cache folder! That's it simple but took me a while to get my head around so I just thought I would post this.

A way to test if this is working correctly is to do the same with your platform videos folder, if after following the instructions above your videos display properly, everything is working fine! or of course you could just watch the space left on your SSD as the cache fills up.

Thanks this came in very handy. I needed to move my images and videos directories from a 5400 RPM to a faster 7200 RPM drive, but didn't want to move anything else, this worked perfectly! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Omen said:

Thanks this came in very handy. I needed to move my images and videos directories from a 5400 RPM to a faster 7200 RPM drive, but didn't want to move anything else, this worked perfectly! 

Did you notice a difference/increase in performance?

I tried this a while back and didn't notice any difference moving cache from usb 3 drive to internal ssd drive. But that's just my configuration. I don't know that I would advise moving videos to faster storage though.

I'd say try it and find out if it helps for you or not.

2 hours ago, syntax_X said:

Did you notice a difference/increase in performance?

Yeah there's definitely a difference in my setup. Before artwork would stutter when scrolling really fast, especially in themes that display both the box and cart/disc art at the same time. Now there's rarely any stutter.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Omen said:

Yeah there's definitely a difference in my setup. Before artwork would stutter when scrolling really fast, especially in themes that display both the box and cart/disc art at the same time. Now there's rarely any stutter.

Was this tested with a fully populated cache before and after?

14 hours ago, syntax_X said:

Was this tested with a fully populated cache before and after?

No I deleted the cache first. I figure if it loads faster with out the image cache, it will be even faster with it. A big issue with my setup is I have created disc and cartridge art for everything, and I saved everything as uncompressed PNGs, so the images are like 10 x larger than they need to be. I need to find a bulk utility to convert them to compressed PNGs. But for now switching to a faster HDD has definitely helped the situation.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

It's still a problema for me, because I use launchbox on multiple devices, synched with dropbox.

If i make a symlink in the dropbox folder, it creates a real folder in the other device.

Furthermore, the continuos creation and deletion of cache files stresses tha dropbox sincronisation.

Please add an option to change the hdd cache size.

Thank you