LaunchBox Community Forums

Mame Tutorial for n00bs

Lordmonkus

2 minutes ago, WuTangDan said:

Is it really that large?

I only have about 10 CPS III games i think, which LB has sorted for me.

Would it still be 650gb?

Okay I sort of assumed that would be the case, just wondered if there was a trick to find some of the missing info.

There are a lot of CHD's in the full set, a lot for games that don't even work in MAME yet, so it is a bit of a waste of space. Your best bet would just be to google the specific CHD's you want and grab them one by one. There are also other games that need them, like Killer Instinct for one.

Fair enough, I have the space but 650gb for games I may not even play very much seems a bit mad, so I would rather not get the full pack.

Quick question, I have looked on wiki and it seems only six CPS III games exist?

Red Earth 1996-11-21 War-Zard
(ウォーザード)
Street Fighter III: New Generation 1997-02-04 Street Fighter III
(ストリートファイターIII)
Street Fighter III 2nd Impact: Giant Attack 1997-09-30 Street Fighter III 2nd Impact
(ストリートファイターIII 2nd Impact)
JoJo's Venture 1998-12-02 JoJo no Kimyō na Bōken
(ジョジョの奇妙な冒険)
Street Fighter III 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future 1999-05-12 Street Fighter III 3rd Strike
(ストリートファイターIII 3rd Strike)
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Heritage for the Future 1999-09-13 JoJo no Kimyō na Bōken Mirai e no Isan
(ジョジョの奇妙な冒険 未来への遺産)

Apart from the above and Killer Instinct, is there any other noteworthy games that require the CHD file?

Also If I get the few CHD's I want do I just drop them in the same location as the ROMs? Nothing else required?

Many thanks.

Yeah the chds should just be a folder, not a zip, and yes just drop the folder in the same location you have your roms, nothing needed your end if the chd is there MAME will just load it like any other game, as you need both the zipped rom and the chd.

Yeah 6 games is correct, I only actually have 4 in my launchbox so ill have to troubleshoot that. :) 

Here is a list of CHD's http://www.mameaddicts.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=605

You will also find with the CHD CPS III games that they will actually ask to install on first launch, you will have to wait for that to finish, as its how you loaded new games to the Arcade cabinet, you only have to do it the first time you launch it, but it can take a while. Street Fighter 3 Third Strike took about 20 minutes to install on my system.

Ah nice, that list is very helpful.

Picked out about 15 games i actually care about and will try to source the CHD files individually.

Okay that's good to know.

I am going to have a fun weekend purging games from LaunchBox that have missing artwork, downloading CHDs and then hopefully find some time to play a game :S

Will be worth it in the end though I hope. 

It's already awesome tbh, my build is really coming along great.

I have Gamecube, N64, Dreamcast, PS1 and PS2 plus all of the Arcade games already up and running and looking awesome in Big Box.

And I am pretty sure they are the hardest emulators to get working consistently. Now I need to add the SNES, Megadrive etc and I will literally own all the games ever *evil laugh*

Gonna be great.

3 minutes ago, WuTangDan said:

Damn, that really is EVERYTHING.

The intention of my build was to be able to play all of the emulators that the Pi can't (PS2, DC, GC etc) but now I think I will move everything over to LaunchBox :P 

Such a great tool.

LOL, there are a ton of systems I don't have, but I just stick to the ones I will actually play. I don't have C64, Amiga etc for example, but I have no nostalgia for them as I was a console guy growing up.

6 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Yeah that's right for CHDs, they are huge.

just seems like an absolutely insane jump in space :) i also see 

MAME 0.194 Software List ROMs 

MAME 0.194 Software List ROMs (merged)  

any chance that would be a new name for it ? size of them is around 55GB.

@ALIE0.194 didn't add any new CHD files so you have to grab the 0.193 version on PD It like a page or 2 back the Software List ROMs and Software List CHD are for consoles the Software list CHD'S contain like Saturn and PSX libraries along with Sega CD TurboGrafx CD and these include all regions thus the huge file size. However CHDs now have support in RetroArch so getting those could actually save you disk space by replacing libraries you have in other formats that may be larger.

• Thanks 1

Just wanted to mention something regarding scraping or 'downloading media and metadata' for the MAME ROM pack.

I downloaded all metadata and media for the entire 'Arcade', category which is over 2000 ROMs, and I was left with about 50% of games missing any type of media (no screenshots, game covers, videos etc.) This was even after leaving it for a few hours to let the image cache catch up.

However, I tried the download a second time the next day using the 'only update files missing media' option, and to my surprise nearly all of that 50% of missing media has now been downloaded!

I am sure this is probably common knowledge in the community, but as a noob trying to help fellow noobs I thought it might be useful to post my findings here just in case it helps someone else.

You can also sometimes find the media by editing an individual game using the edit option, and then searching the game title on google. I have found a few cases where ROM files were named incorrectly by missing a letter or something like that, so you can copy and paste the exact name from wikipedia and then try to download media again and it should find it.

So if you find yourself missing loads of media after the first attempt, give this a try!

:D

Edited by WuTangDan

On 22/2/2018 at 2:28 AM, DOS76 said:

@ALIE0.194 didn't add any new CHD files so you have to grab the 0.193 version on PD It like a page or 2 back the Software List ROMs and Software List CHD are for consoles the Software list CHD'S contain like Saturn and PSX libraries along with Sega CD TurboGrafx CD and these include all regions thus the huge file size. However CHDs now have support in RetroArch so getting those could actually save you disk space by replacing libraries you have in other formats that may be larger.

OK Thanks .

so Im getting

MAME 0.194 ROMs (non-merged) .

but i only see MAME 0.193 CHDs (merged) not split O.o