LaunchBox Community Forums

Mame Tutorial for n00bs

Lordmonkus

1 minute ago, Zeaede said:

MAME 0.196 ROMs (split) 60.940 GB

That is the one that would be my guess that Rocket Launcher and the Hyperspin.xml uses.

I'm not sure what the Multimedia and Extras would be.
The HBMAME is like I said, Home Brew games and rom hacks.
The Software Lists is like I said, console and computer games.
Anything with Update in it is just that, an update pack to be merged in with the previous version of that pack, you need to merge it in with a program such as CLRMamePro. You cannot just simply drop the update pack on to a previous set and have it work.
CHD packs are not necessary for the most part but there are a few games that do require them such as the Capcom CPS3 stuff and a few others.

I grabbed the recommended set and got most systems running with RetroArch

However, it does request for mame_libretro.dll which i don't seems to find with RA 1.7.1?

There is some 10 cores on RA for MAME which one is recommended?

Or is original MAME emulator recommended play roms with?

I would just suggest changing your emulator in LB to the new version of MAME and overwriting your roms into the same folder LB is already using but you can also go into the tools menu and change the folder path to the roms so they reflect where you have your new ROMs stored.

• 2 months later...

got most of my roms working with LB, Mame64 and the latest rom set. Struggling with any games that use the dial, or trackball. I have an arcade machine with a dial and trackball, but when I attempt to change the input (tab to get to the UI on the specific game for setup in mame), I've got no way to change to trackball or dial. Any guidance?

thanks

For trackball games your mouse may not be enabled, open your mame.ini file and look for this section:

#
# CORE INPUT OPTIONS
#
coin_lockout              1
ctrlr                     
mouse                     1
joystick                  1

Make sure mouse is set to 1 and not 0.

As for spinner controls I don't have any experience with that so I can't help you.

@depooter

For trackballs, I used the below video to help me get set up. He talks a bunch about setting the buttons up, just ignore that and go to the below bookmarks ...
Go to minute 3:10 to get to the point where he is explaining the control setup that you need.
Go to minute 6:15 to learn how to speed up the movement of the cursor

To adjust the speed of you spinner, check out this video...

Edited by ItchyRobot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ItchyRobot said:

@depooter

For trackballs, I used the below video to help me get set up. He talks a bunch about setting the buttons up, just ignore that and go to the below bookmarks ...
Go to minute 3:10 to get to the point where he is explaining the control setup that you need.
Go to minute 6:15 to learn how to speed up the movement of the cursor

To adjust the speed of you spinner, check out this video...

Thanks so much. The only problem is that when I attempt to spin the trackball to setup, it’s not recognizing it in my arcade. It’s treating my trackball like a mouse so I see a cursor but it won’t register as an analog devices on the set up screen.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to say,....I was having SERIOUS problems using Mameui and another program.  Couldnt get Launchbox to recognize anything!!  Saw Lordmonkus's link to the Rocket Mame, as is here, http://arcade.mameworld.info/ .
Got rid of all the old stuff, loaded that, and presto chango,....TA DA!!!  Everything was working correctly with Launchbox.  Finally,...  After 2 days of fighting.

Someone should make a perma link or a video.  ETA and the other video were pretty much useless to me.
Ps,....Im using Mame 0.200 Split pack.
Is Merged better??  I pulled up Punisher and it said sound issues, missing chd or something.

Edited by Nomad714

Your issue with MAMEUI was probably that you didn't have an ini file in the root folder as for some reason through LB MAME doesn't read the ini folder itself so if it can't see the ini it doesn't know where your games are. Merged is not better in fact for use with LB it is the worst option at the moment. The status that the game is reporting with sound issues is just MAME reporting that if you play the game don't expect the sound emulation to be perfect doesn't matter what rom set you have for they just haven't figured out how to make it play 100% accurately yet.

41 minutes ago, Nomad714 said:

Just wanted to say,....I was having SERIOUS problems using Mameui and another program.  Couldnt get Launchbox to recognize anything!!  Saw Lordmonkus's link to the Rocket Mame, as is here, http://arcade.mameworld.info/ .
Got rid of all the old stuff, loaded that, and presto chango,....TA DA!!!  Everything was working correctly with Launchbox.  Finally,...  After 2 days of fighting.

Someone should make a perma link or a video.  ETA and the other video were pretty much useless to me.
Ps,....Im using Mame 0.200 Split pack.
Is Merged better??  I pulled up Punisher and it said sound issues, missing chd or something.

The biggest issue with using MameUI is the mame.ini file needs to be in the root folder not the ini folder. 

Edit: Dos beat me to it. ?

3 hours ago, Nomad714 said:

Is Merged better??

Not right now it isn't, merged is more cumbersome to tell LB which specific version of a rom to load. This is planned to be addresses in upcoming patches.

Personally I have made the switch to Non Merged and hand selected games, this has shrunk my rom set considerably, down from 110 gigabytes of roms to under 4 GB.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't see mention of this within the topic, if I overlooked, I apologize and please direct me where appropriate.

I'm having a heck of a time trying to get a default vertical and horizontal bezel to be used with Mame. In the past, I would create specifc .ini files for both the horizontal (horizont.ini) and vertical (vertical.ini) based games because I would used specific shaders (HLSL based) based on the orientation. What I suspected would also happen (and believe it should normally do so) is also use same artwork labeled the same (i.e horizont.zip or vertical.zip). Unfortunately, I've only been able to get the bezel artwork to show when I rename horizont.zip to the name of the game being run (i.e. mslug.zip). 

@NJDave71 has saved us a bit of time by compiling mame with the no nag for us and realized that perhaps I was missing a line in my config regarding the fallback artwork line. Here is the Core Artwork Options section from both .ini files. 

Horizont.ini

#
# CORE ARTWORK OPTIONS
#
artwork_crop              1
use_backdrops             1
use_overlays              1
use_bezels                1
use_cpanels               1
use_marquees              1
fallback_artwork          horizont
override_artwork       

Vertical.ini

#
# CORE ARTWORK OPTIONS
#
artwork_crop              1
use_backdrops             1
use_overlays              1
use_bezels                1
use_cpanels               1
use_marquees              1
fallback_artwork          vertical
override_artwork       

Based on what was mentioned above, is there anything I am overlooking? The artwork created is great but I'm just looking to use a standard horizontal and vertical bezel for Mame. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

I took all my artwork zip files  and moved it and left behind  horizont.zip and vertical.zip

in the ini folder i have

vertical.ini
     fallback_artwork    vertical
horizont.ini
     fallback_artwork    horizont

This uses what ever is inside the horizont.zip or vertical.zip

does that help or answer your question?

Edited by NJDave71