LaunchBox Community Forums

Amiga Emulation / FS-UAE: A Comprehensive Tutorial + Launchbox Integration

Zombeaver

Sorry for silly question guys and good morning.

As i understand from the video, the built in configuration should be recognized automatically inside launchbox with fsuae launcher.

But i can't have multiple disks, every game i launch, whload or adf, doesn't recognize more than one disk. Any help?  (by the way, inside fsuae everything works fine)

• Like 1

WHDLoad games are never more than one disk, that's kindof the point (well, part of it anyway).

As far as ADF, that's covered in the ADF portion of the tutorial. If it's one you need to create a config for, you create one as I show in that section and then you'll import the config like I show in the import custom config section. If it's one that has a built-in config you export the UUID for that config and then import that into LB just like any other UUID.

On 10/19/2016 at 3:01 AM, Zombeaver said:

Thanks so much for the video!
I'm following it through and at step 4 it talks about gamepad - I don't use a gamepad I have Keyboard which is mapped to my Arcade sticks, so question is, how do I map the keys (Warp / F10) to keyboard? 
In the keyboard section there doesnt appear to be any mapping options?

Thanks!

On 2/13/2019 at 12:56 PM, vaderag said:

Thanks so much for the video!
I'm following it through and at step 4 it talks about gamepad - I don't use a gamepad I have Keyboard which is mapped to my Arcade sticks, so question is, how do I map the keys (Warp / F10) to keyboard? 
In the keyboard section there doesnt appear to be any mapping options?

Thanks!

So i think i've solved this question above and have most things working in FS-UAE thanks to the tutorial! Thanks @Zombeaver

One question I do have however is, I have a set of adf and whd, obviously you instruct how to set up mostly WHD, but also ADF - but the WHD list seems pretty comprehensive - are there things missing if i don't add an ADF set?

There are some games that haven't been converted to WHDLoad format, yes. I couldn't give you a number, and it's going to change (get smaller) over time anyway.

WHDLoad will cover the vast majority of games that you're likely to be interested in, but it's not 100% coverage. About 98% of my games are WHDLoad, occasionally I'll come across something that looks neat that doesn't have a WHDLoad version and I'll add it in. It's pretty few and far between for me though.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

There are some games that haven't been converted to WHDLoad format, yes. I couldn't give you a number, and it's going to change (get smaller) over time anyway.

WHDLoad will cover the vast majority of games that you're likely to be interested in, but it's not 100% coverage. About 98% of my games are WHDLoad, occasionally I'll come across something that looks neat that doesn't have a WHDLoad version and I'll add it in. It's pretty few and far between for me though.

Thanks - that's what I figured by scanning through the list!

I've been using WinUAE with ADF and RocketLauncher to date, but have been having issues with control schemes etc on WinUAE. 

I *think* i've got there by following your guide so really appreciate the effort :) 
Oh, and looking forward to the other guides!

• 2 weeks later...

I followed the tutorial and every game  runs fine from launchbox except F18/Interceptor.

if i start the game from fs-uae it works ok but when i try to run it from launchbox the fs uae GUI window pop up instead of the game. No error message nothing.

Edited by Rends

That usually means your checkboxes are messed up in your emulator entries or that you're using the wrong entry for the game. Pay attention to the checkboxes selected when setting up the entries below. Do note, however, that for the UUID one you no longer need the Launcher-uuid.exe, you just use the same Launcher.exe from FS-UAE (because the bug that Launcher-uuid.exe was made for has since been patched).

Beyond that, just make sure that you're using the FS-UAE UUID entry for UUID games and FS-UAE entry for custom configs.

Ok, seems a problem on my end here. Its the adf file version that works fine in fs-uae. The whdload fine gives me an error message.

And its the whd version that will be exported every time.

Need to delete the whd version so i can import the adf one into launchbox.

If it’s still wont work i will report later.

39 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

Do note, however, that for the UUID one you no longer need the Launcher-uuid.exe, you just use the same Launcher.exe from FS-UAE (because the bug that Launcher-uuid.exe was made for has since been patched).

Oh, interesting - i missed this!

That should resolve the issue with the fades not working properly due to it seeing the open and close of launcher and assuming it was the actual game

Do i just edit the emulator to replace the exe with the fs-uae exe?

1 hour ago, Rends said:

And its the whd version that will be exported every time.

No it isn't. Unless you specifically tell it to only export one version (which isn't what I say to do in the video) it'll export them all. You can then pick and choose which one you want to import into LB or you can import them both and it'll automatically group them together in the same entry (right-click to choose which one you want to start) - if you want to change which one starts by default you can do that by editing the game entry, going to the "additional apps" tab, choosing the one you want it to use and select "Use as default" or whatever it's called (I don't have it in front of me at the moment).

1 hour ago, vaderag said:

Do i just edit the emulator to replace the exe with the fs-uae exe?

Yes.

17 hours ago, Zombeaver said:

Yes.

Thanks - that simplified things a bit!

I do still have an issue with Amiga specifically however - Launchbox is correctly loading it but the game startup screen disappears almost instantly and I'm 99% certain because whatever is happening it thinks that the game has quit the moment it loads. I then see the FS-UAE launcher and it boots correctly

Anyone else have this issue?

It is compounded by the fact that Launchbox is also sending LED Blinky a quit command too, because it flashes the LED amiga controls but then shows the quit animation and goes back to Launchbox light scheme, hence why i'm 99% sure this is what is happening.

It only seems to happen with amiga...

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to get CD32 setup (with a new install) but it's not finding any games when I scan - they're all there and have worked with other emulators in the past - am i missing something obvious? (NB. they are 7z and 7zip in in my path environment variable)

"CD32" doesn't tell me a whole lot. Are you talking about WHDLoad versions of CD32 games or actual raw CD images? If it's actual CD images, I'm not sure that those can be compressed. If it doesn't find them even uncompressed you could always create configs for them manually - you'd just use the CD tab instead of the disk/hard drive tabs.

If it's WHDLoad games, as usual, you can have compression one-level deep - a folder + info file in a .zip, but not an .lha file in a .zip.

1 hour ago, Zombeaver said:

"CD32" doesn't tell me a whole lot. Are you talking about WHDLoad versions of CD32 games or actual raw CD images? If it's actual CD images, I'm not sure that those can be compressed. If it doesn't find them even uncompressed you could always create configs for them manually - you'd just use the CD tab instead of the disk/hard drive tabs.

If it's WHDLoad games, as usual, you can have compression one-level deep - a folder + info file in a .zip, but not an .lha file in a .zip.

Ah - I didn't realise you could get WHDLoad versions of CD32 games

They're CD images in 7z...

Yeah my guess is you'll need to extract those. If it still doesn't recognize them extracted, you'd need to create configs for them manually. I show how to do this for WHDLoad and ADF games in the video - the process would be the same you'd just use the CD tab instead.

2 hours ago, Zombeaver said:

Yeah my guess is you'll need to extract those. If it still doesn't recognize them extracted, you'd need to create configs for them manually. I show how to do this for WHDLoad and ADF games in the video - the process would be the same you'd just use the CD tab instead.

So, I've just realised something - basically all of the discs are in my WHDLoad games... are these the same then? Some actually have CD32 on the end, but some don't. So guessing these are in my Amiga set already? Or is there something different about the ones without CD32 in the name (e.g. Akira)?

There are often several different versions of any given game. And in the case of CD32 there's both the original CD images themselves as well as, in some cases, WHDLoad conversions of CD32 games - these are basically versions that people made of CD32 games to be played on Amiga PCs instead. Either will work in FS-UAE - it emulates both. The WHDLoad versions are normally functional but sometimes they'll be missing things like the CD music. As far as CD32 vs non-CD32 versions of the same game, CD32 versions were often enhanced with better visuals and sound/music. Check out CD32 vs non-CD32 versions of the game Fire and Ice as an example.

As far as what you personally have, obviously I have no way of answering that.

Guess i found the solution of not loading F18 Interceptor in launchbox.

yesterday i ran into the same problems with lemmings. I had a custom config of lemmings working in launchbox before but decided to replace it with the stock version. I deleted the custom config version from the launchbox GUI and imported the stock one and it didn‘t work. It only started the fsuae launcher window but nothing else.

I deleted the not working version .thought i did something wrong and started the import procedure again with no luck.

but then i had a look into the launchbox games Amiga folder and found several lemmings files left even if launchbox told me before that it will delete everything if i delete the game.

so i found a couple of files with the same number like aa888xxxxxxxx and a 1 up to 3 at the end of the filename (guess everytime i tried to install the game it adds the number at the end because the former file wasn‘t deleted) and i also found a file called lemmings (that must have been the custom config one.

After deleting all files i imported the game again in launchbox and now it works.