LaunchBox Community Forums

Amiga Emulation / FS-UAE: A Comprehensive Tutorial + Launchbox Integration

Zombeaver

FS-UAE actually doesn't match based on filenames - it matches based on checksums (so the filenames themselves don't matter). The most common reason why something wouldn't match would be that you have a compressed file within another compressed file, as FS-UAE can only accept compression one layer deep. .lha itself is a compressed format, so you can't have an .lha within a .zip - you'd need to extract it. You can have an .adf in a zip or, in the case of WHDLoad, a folder and an .info file in a zip.

My suggestion would be to use Retroplay's WHDLoad files - that's the most up to date set I've come across. Just Google "Retroplay WHD uploads" and you'll find it. I just tested Another World from that set and it scanned in just fine.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have some whdload games like Rage_v1.1_CAD.lha that simply wont run on FS-UAE.  I get an error right away "Amiga Launch Task failed with OSError". However they work perfectly fine in WinUAE so it's not a case of corrupted files. I've created custom configs as per the tutorial video but they just won't run no matter what. Then I have other games that run just fine with basically the same config. Anyone know why that is?

Edited by Styphelus

This appears to be the result of the game using asterisks in its filenames (which isn't normal) which FS-UAE doesn't seem to know what to do with.

image.thumb.png.c3b1c6da2cb1f7288e3140afdcd4746a.pngI renamed these to remove the asterisk, at which point it booted without error... but the game didn't actually do anything; presumably the .slave makes references to the files with * in them so at that point it's not erroring out but it's not finding the files either. I don't have a good way to edit that because the .slave/.info files just look like gibberish in a windows text editor.

This is something you'd probably have to talk to Frode about in order to rectify.

• 1 month later...

Is anyone here using the latest version (ver 3.0)? I can't exit anymore. Beofore I would press F10 and it would exist. Now it tells me I have to double press the exit key but no matter what I do, it refuses to exit. instead, I have to open up the side menu and click the X in the top corner. 

On 7/23/2019 at 3:28 PM, Styphelus said:

Is anyone here using the latest version (ver 3.0)? I can't exit anymore. Beofore I would press F10 and it would exist. Now it tells me I have to double press the exit key but no matter what I do, it refuses to exit. instead, I have to open up the side menu and click the X in the top corner. 

I did some testing and this does indeed appear to be a bug in 3.0. The QuitKey override function doesn't seem to be working correctly anymore. I sent Frode a message on Discord about it. I'll let you know once I hear back.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have info on file naming conventions for WHDLoad games? I'm getting mine from RetroPlay's collection.

Here are some examples where I'm confused about the difference.

What does the '1199' mean in these? And 'NTSC'?

Manhunter2_v1.0_1199.lha
Manhunter2_v1.0_NTSC_1199.lha

What does 'Fast' mean?

Maya_v1.4_1742.lha
Maya_v1.4_Fast_1742.lha

What about '1MB' and 'AGA'?

MegaBall_v1.02.lha
MegaBall_v1.02_1MB.lha
MegaBall_v1.02_AGA.lha

Do version numbers refer to different versions of the game, or different revisions of the .lha file?

Millennium22_v1.3_0537.lha
Millennium22_v1.4_0537.lha

The 1199 is the SPS release number used to create the install http://www.softpres.org/

Fast means the install uses the Amiga's Fastram which is generally better

1MB means it's the 1MB version of the game instead of the 512k version so again it should be better

AGA is the later chipset for Amigas so again generally the better version

The version numbers refer to the WHDLoad patch, so version 1.4 may have fixed some problems that were present in 1.3

Oh and NTSC means it's the American version.

• Thanks 1

@Zombeaver Hiya, I watched your fs-uae launchbox video tutorial and managed to get some WHDLoad folders working via your methods. Thank you! But I'm having a problem with some games not working due to them using an A600 kickstart by default instead of the A1200 (which seems to work with everything). I do have the A600 rom, but it is ghosted out in the selection menu. I even tried the amiga forever essentials roms (which I purchased) and still the A600 rom is ghosted out. This would be fine if I could simply set the affected games to A1200 and save the settings, but I don't know how to save the settings for each game. Can't see anything that lets me do that. Can you do that with the database games? Or if not then what rom sets would you suggest so that the A600 rom is usable (or what did you use?)

Thanks again.

Edited by Madhead

14 hours ago, Madhead said:

@Zombeaver Hiya, I watched your fs-uae launchbox video tutorial and managed to get some WHDLoad folders working via your methods. Thank you! But I'm having a problem with some games not working due to them using an A600 kickstart by default instead of the A1200 (which seems to work with everything). I do have the A600 rom, but it is ghosted out in the selection menu. I even tried the amiga forever essentials roms (which I purchased) and still the A600 rom is ghosted out. This would be fine if I could simply set the affected games to A1200 and save the settings, but I don't know how to save the settings for each game. Can't see anything that lets me do that. Can you do that with the database games? Or if not then what rom sets would you suggest so that the A600 rom is usable (or what did you use?)

Thanks again.

This is covered in the video.

Creating custom configs
Creating custom configs for games that the OAGD sets to use A600

As to the Kickstarts that I used, as I said in the video I used the ones from TOSEC.

On 8/10/2019 at 7:30 PM, Zombeaver said:

This is covered in the video.

Creating custom configs
Creating custom configs for games that the OAGD sets to use A600

As to the Kickstarts that I used, as I said in the video I used the ones from TOSEC.

Ah yeah thank you! While im here could you tell me if there's a way to display missing metadata by bulk instead of having to edit each game and find the ID, then press ok? Because I reimported the C64 roms and found that while the images are still on my harddrive, the metadata is not displaying for them. I have to edit, then find the ID for every single one before the information will show. Also, the majority of my MAME titles don't have displayed metadata too, even if they are displaying images. Thanks.

13 minutes ago, Madhead said:

Ah yeah thank you! While im here could you tell me if there's a way to display missing metadata by bulk instead of having to edit each game and find the ID, then press ok? Because I reimported the C64 roms and found that while the images are still on my harddrive, the metadata is not displaying for them. I have to edit, then find the ID for every single one before the information will show. Also, the majority of my MAME titles don't have displayed metadata too, even if they are displaying images. Thanks.

Highlite all games in a platform by clicking one then CTRL A to highlite them all, then run the metadata wizard in Tools.

• 2 months later...