LaunchBox Community Forums

Fundamental Theme

Grila

On 5/2/2017 at 6:18 PM, Echorion said:

This is the most perfect theme. It gives you options too, if you are having trouble with one type of media or so- you can still make it look nice because of how this is layed out. 

Edit: But since it only works with WMP which doesn't support Mp4 I dunno if I can use video clips with it at all =/

I get all my videos from EmuMovies, which are .mp4, and they all play fine on my system with both players.

1 hour ago, Styphelus said:

I really like this theme. Can it use different backgrounds per platform or is it restricted to a blue background?

Right now it's locked to the gradient background. I'm planning on re-visiting this one shortly since there seems to be a sudden burst of interest on it, so I can probably add a view or 2 with the background element.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grila said:

I get all my videos from EmuMovies, which are .mp4, and they all play fine on my system with both players.

WMP just gives me a black screen, only works in VLC for me on windows 10. Fresh install of windows too recently, and I have the k-lite codec pack.

I looked into it and saw a ton of people having similar troubles and not really any fix. The only solution I have found is to use VLC.

Edit: However the issue with VLC in launchbox seems to be with launchbox itself not VLC afaik; which would be good since that means it might be ironed out someday and then it won't matter if one or the other is acting up.

Edited by Echorion

Color pallet and font global setting files would be great to change it out! Also can I request to have the region after the name of the game? In the views its currently

Game Name - Company

Possible? - Game Name - Company - Region (USA/Japan)

4 hours ago, zetec-s-joe said:

Any idea if the DPI scaling issues with Big Box have been sorted out Grilla? only thing stopping me from migrating over from HyperSpin to use this as my Main Theme

Not that I'm aware of, not yet. I am planning on re-visiting this theme due to the sudden increase of interest in it and I will make it more compatible with different scaling percentages.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Grila said:

Not that I'm aware of, not yet. I am planning on re-visiting this theme due to the sudden increase of interest in it and I will make it more compatible with different scaling percentages.

That is awesome news Grilla! I think most people using an HTPC with a big TV are on 150% Scaling, this Theme is near perfect as it is, can't wait for the update with scaling fixed

@Grila If you start working back on this awesome theme again would it be too much trouble to add a fullscreen 16:9 platform theme view with your fading out code of the clear logos included and also a game view with the clear logos on the left and the rest of the screen utilize the 4:3 game theme videos for the converted HS MAME themes? Then Fundamental would be the perfect all in one theme for me.

• Like 2

What kmoney said and also have the themes use platform backgrounds and per game backgrounds. You already have that one the game detail view. That way we could have the blue background in different colors for each platform or any other background. At least give us a choice. Aside from that, this is my theme of choice.

There's also an issue with VLC with this theme. I have to use WMP to get the videos to work.

There's also an issue with VLC with this theme. I have to use WMP to get the videos to work.

Yeah, that's clearly explained in the first post and in the readme file.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

On 5/6/2017 at 5:22 PM, zetec-s-joe said:

That is awesome news Grilla! I think most people using an HTPC with a big TV are on 150% Scaling, this Theme is near perfect as it is, can't wait for the update with scaling fixed

scaling is a windows setting and can be disabled for BigBox.

@Grila 

I Think i might have the DPI scaling issue for text solved.  We just have to put in the Themes anything that uses text inside a Viewbox, i have tried this on Normal (100%), Medium (125%) and Large (150%) and the text did not expand over its container on any of those sizes.  Here is a code example:-

<Viewbox x:Name="viewbox" Margin="0,-6,0,-12" Width="365">
                    <Canvas x:Name="PlatformDetails" Width="523" ClipToBounds="True"
HorizontalAlignment="Stretch" VerticalAlignment="Stretch" Margin="0,0,0,0" Height="158"
RenderTransformOrigin="0.5,0.5" >
                        <controls:ScrollableTextBlock x:Name="Details" Text="{Binding
Details}" FontFamily="Cambria" FontSize="26" Foreground="White"
TextWrapping="WrapWithOverflow" Width="423" ScrollBeginDelay="6" ScrollSpeed="2"
ScrollAutoReverse="True" ScrollEndDelay="6" ReverseScrollSpeed="0.5" ScrollDirection="Up"
TextOptions.TextFormattingMode="Display" TextTrimming="CharacterEllipsis"
TextOptions.TextHintingMode="Fixed" FontWeight="Bold" >
                        </controls:ScrollableTextBlock>
                    </Canvas>
                </Viewbox>
            </DockPanel>

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Maddoc1007 said:

@Grila 

I Think i might have the DPI scaling issue for text solved.  We just have to put in the Themes anything that uses text inside a Viewbox, i have tried this on Normal (100%), Medium (125%) and Large (150%) and the text did not expand over its container on any of those sizes.  Here is a code example:-

<Viewbox x:Name="viewbox" Margin="0,-6,0,-12" Width="365">
                    <Canvas x:Name="PlatformDetails" Width="523" ClipToBounds="True"
HorizontalAlignment="Stretch" VerticalAlignment="Stretch" Margin="0,0,0,0" Height="158"
RenderTransformOrigin="0.5,0.5" >
                        <controls:ScrollableTextBlock x:Name="Details" Text="{Binding
Details}" FontFamily="Cambria" FontSize="26" Foreground="White"
TextWrapping="WrapWithOverflow" Width="423" ScrollBeginDelay="6" ScrollSpeed="2"
ScrollAutoReverse="True" ScrollEndDelay="6" ReverseScrollSpeed="0.5" ScrollDirection="Up"
TextOptions.TextFormattingMode="Display" TextTrimming="CharacterEllipsis"
TextOptions.TextHintingMode="Fixed" FontWeight="Bold" >
                    </Canvas>
                </Viewbox>
            </DockPanel>

This is great news! Hopefully Grilla has a look and can incorperate it into his and others themes!

• Like 1

This is great news! Hopefully Grilla has a look and can incorperate it into his and others themes!

Yes, I'm aware of the viewbox and have used it before in many projects.
Unfortunately it's not that simple. Sure, a viewbox will scale it's contents to fit, and fix the text issue but scaling on other things like border thickness, margins, etc. still fall victim to the DPI scaling issue.
Many of my themes use advanced layouts and techniques to align elements that can't be solved with a viewbox.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

What you could do in that situation is first create a viewbox then place the elements you need inside that viewbox im only speculating as havnt tried with borders yet here a small example here is 3 items inside a viewbox and they all scale no matter what dpi they are scaled to.

<!--PLATFORMDETAILS-->
            <Viewbox x:Name="viewbox" Grid.ColumnSpan="3" Grid.Row="7" Grid.RowSpan="5" Grid.Column="7" >
                <DockPanel LastChildFill="False" Height="147" Margin="5,0,0,0" >
                    <TextBlock Text="Details" FontFamily="Boogie Nights NF Shadow" FontSize="26" TextWrapping="Wrap" DockPanel.Dock="Top" TextOptions.TextFormattingMode="Display" Height="32"  >
                        <TextBlock.Foreground>
                            <LinearGradientBrush EndPoint="0.5,1" StartPoint="0.5,0">
                                <GradientStop Color="Pink" Offset="1"/>
                                <GradientStop Color="Red"/>
                            </LinearGradientBrush>
                        </TextBlock.Foreground>
                    </TextBlock>

<!--PLATFORMDESCRIPTIONLINE-->
                    <StackPanel Height="1" Width="auto" DockPanel.Dock="Top" >
                        <StackPanel.Background>
                            <LinearGradientBrush StartPoint="0,0.5" EndPoint="1,0.5">
                                <GradientStop Color="Red" Offset="0.0"/>
                                <GradientStop Offset="1.0"/>
                            </LinearGradientBrush>
                        </StackPanel.Background>
                    </StackPanel>

<!--PLATFORMDETAILS-->
                    <Canvas x:Name="PlatformDetails" Width="365" ClipToBounds="True" HorizontalAlignment="Stretch" VerticalAlignment="Stretch" Margin="0,5,0,0" >
                        <controls:ScrollableTextBlock x:Name="Details" Text="{Binding Details}" FontFamily="Cambria" FontSize="22" Foreground="White" TextWrapping="WrapWithOverflow" Width="365" ScrollBeginDelay="6" ScrollSpeed="2" ScrollAutoReverse="True" ScrollEndDelay="6" ReverseScrollSpeed="0.5" ScrollDirection="Up" TextOptions.TextFormattingMode="Display" TextTrimming="CharacterEllipsis" TextOptions.TextHintingMode="Fixed" >
                    </Canvas>
                </DockPanel>
            </Viewbox>

Edited by Maddoc1007