Create a New User Account (windows 10)

1.  Press Window Key and the letter S to bring up windows Search
2.  Type User Accounts and select Settings
3.  select manage another account
4.  Add a new user in PC setting
5.  Add someone else to this PC
6.  I don't have this persons sign-in information
7.  Add user without a Microsoft Account
8.  Create the user and leave the password blank if you want to just auto sign in
9.  click and follow the on screen instrunctions

Windows Auto Login to BigBox / Create a New windows account for this 
* Warning we are about to modify the registry and it's only for this user account
1) open regedit (start menu > run, and type in regedit).
2) go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.
3) add a new string value (Edit > New > String Value) called shell. and set the value to the path of the new shell
e.g C:\Launchbox\bigbox.exe.
4) log out and log back in

My Computer is a Dedicate Arcade and it works great.  

Thank you to Jason and his team for all the work on this FE and to all that have contributed to LB

Good Luck.   

Hi. Ho i go back to desktop???

Once bigbox launches press ctrl  alt del and to bring up your task manager from the menu choose File then run

In the run type explorer.exe

This will bring up your desktop 

You can exit bigbox to now return to your desktop. 

I think bigbox can now run a program on exit.   

Edited by NJDave71
  • Thanks 1

For some reason I can't get this to work at all - tried the method NJDave71 suggested, nothing. Tried putting it in my startup folder, nothing (even though BB is enabled in the startup menu). Tried using BBShell...same result, the PC just boots into explorer like normal. Am on W10 and have BB.exe to run as admin, I genuinely can't figure it out

Edited by Gimpy

16 minutes ago, Gimpy said:

For some reason I can't get this to work at all - tried the method NJDave71 suggested, nothing. Tried putting it in my startup folder, nothing (even though BB is enabled in the startup menu). Tried using BBShell...same result, the PC just boots into explorer like normal. Am on W10 and have BB.exe to run as admin, I genuinely can't figure it out

I cannot help with why it is not working, but I can let you know it is recommended to not run BigBox or Launchbox as admin. Doing so can cause issue with other programs ran through BigBox that would need elevation. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So i used the bsetshell app without creating another user account and did it on my administrator account as i wanted to eliminate selecting a user at the startup anyway didn't realise once i exited bigbox it would just give me a black screen and not bring back my desktop  :( How can i fix this? and get back my original startup for windows ?  I tried a startup repair for windows and it couldnt find a problem :(

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Edited by VoidTheWolf
Spelling :)

use ctrl+shift+escape to open a task manager windows go to file run new task and type in explorer.exe and it should then start Windows with its normal shell. I personally made a bat file to open explorer when I did this and made a platform named Utilities in LB and add that bat and a few other things I wanted to add.

• 8 months later...

Resurrecting this old thread to see if there's any new info. 

Running LB + BB on WIndows 10. 

Had Big Box running perfectly well on startup and then it just suddenly stopped loading on startup. It works perfectly fine when ran within windows, its just not loading on startup. 

Since it works perfectly when activated manually its reasonable to assume the issue is with startup... however: 

Have tried with and without "run as admin" privileges in all forms of combination for both the executable and the shortcuts. 

Have tried setting Big Box for startup in Shell 

Have tried the switch for startup within windows startup options.

Have set exceptions for the folders and tried disabling Antivirus software. 

There aren't any events or logs that indicate a shutdown due to malicious activity, and BigBox works perfectly well when manually activated, so not sure why its refusing all efforts to load at startup. 

Thanks in advance. 

• 10 months later...
On 7/31/2018 at 10:30 PM, thegreatiandi said:

Nice. I wonder if there is a way to not have the windows logo Pop Up is Windows is launching. Because if you can get by that, it would literally seem like it's an actual arcade system.

You could maybe replace the bios stock image, that's what I did.

• 1 year later...
On 1/29/2017 at 5:00 PM, NJDave71 said:

Create a New User Account (windows 10)

1.  Press Window Key and the letter S to bring up windows Search
2.  Type User Accounts and select Settings
3.  select manage another account
4.  Add a new user in PC setting
5.  Add someone else to this PC
6.  I don't have this persons sign-in information
7.  Add user without a Microsoft Account
8.  Create the user and leave the password blank if you want to just auto sign in
9.  click and follow the on screen instrunctions

Windows Auto Login to BigBox / Create a New windows account for this 
* Warning we are about to modify the registry and it's only for this user account
1) open regedit (start menu > run, and type in regedit).
2) go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.
3) add a new string value (Edit > New > String Value) called shell. and set the value to the path of the new shell
e.g C:\Launchbox\bigbox.exe.
4) log out and log back in

My Computer is a Dedicate Arcade and it works great.  

Thank you to Jason and his team for all the work on this FE and to all that have contributed to LB

Good Luck.   

I followed these indications but I'm still briefly see the windows login screen before BigBox launching. I'm using Windows 10 LTSC. Any solutions?

1 hour ago, kamzata said:

I followed these indications but I'm still briefly see the windows login screen before BigBox launching. I'm using Windows 10 LTSC. Any solutions?

If using LaunchBox/BigBox version 13.1 or newer, you can set it up with the built-in feature.

Version 13.1 - Released January 18, 2023

New Premium Feature: A new option to automatically use Big Box as the Windows Shell has been added to Options > General in Big Box. This option will allow you to avoid loading Windows features like the Start menu, taskbar, etc. and will use Big Box exclusively as the shell. This feature is not for the faint of heart, but does result in a faster and cleaner startup for arcade cabinets and home theater environments.

9 minutes ago, JoeViking245 said:

If using LaunchBox/BigBox version 13.1 or newer, you can set it up with the built-in feature.

That's what I did, thanks. But, as I said, I'm still seeing briefly the Windows login screen for around 2 seconds before BigBox boots.

2 minutes ago, kamzata said:

That's what I did, thanks. But, as I said, I'm still seeing briefly the Windows login screen for around 2 seconds before BigBox boots.

Oh OK.  I assumed when you said "I followed these indications", you were following the instructions from 6 years ago that you quoted.

Sorry, I haven't used the new built in feature yet to be able help you.

1 minute ago, JoeViking245 said:

Oh OK.  I assumed when you said "I followed these indications", you were following the instructions from 6 years ago that you quoted.

Sorry, I haven't used the new built in feature yet to be able help you.

I tried the instructions from 6 years ago as well but same result.

Edited by kamzata