LaunchBox Community Forums

Switch Theme WIP

Grila

Here's a few screenshots of my current project based on the Nintendo Switch UI. For as simple as the original UI is, it is proving difficult to bring it to BigBox (at least to my liking, since I am a perfectionist), but I am slowly making progress. I have managed to include a real-time, working clock although it's analog only. Unfortunately a digital clock is out of reach unless some code-behind can be added from @Jason Carr (but he is super busy, as we all know). There probably won't be many views in this one, as the Switch doesn't have many different layouts to it's menu system, but I'll add as many as I can. The good thing is I recently got one, so studying the original UI is what I have been doing to help with replication.

The Box Game view is almost complete. I still have to add the controller icons at the bottom right and a few other miscellaneous things like the star rating image. Then it's on to the other views. I don't have an expectation as to when this will be done, but I am working on it diligently.

Anyways, here's the shots. The lower icons are displayed according to what you have set in LaunchBox (the star rating image will also be here when I have it finished).

switch_wip_1.thumb.png.76bccf935abc08c8bf8e9161e1a9e164.png

switch_wip_2.thumb.png.19bdabd0371b30719d994a3c43b82d4c.png

• Like 16

3 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Amazing @Grila! Truth be told, adding a time property would be super easy, so I can certainly do that, especially since it's come up several times as of late. I'd just add a text property that automatically updates when the time changes. What format did you want?

Personally, I'd be happy with 12 hour AM/PM with hours and minutes only (hh:mm tt)but I'd also be fine with a 24 hour format (HH:mm). If it's a text property I assume I could set the string format in the theme (like the game release date), correct?

10 minutes ago, Grila said:

Personally, I'd be happy with 12 hour AM/PM with hours and minutes only (hh:mm tt)but I'd also be fine with a 24 hour format (HH:mm). If it's a text property I assume I could set the string format in the theme (like the game release date), correct?

Yup; we can use the user's local time format for it as well. It'll be a standard binding just like everything else.

• Like 3

Just now, Jason Carr said:

Just put out a new beta without this but I'm still hoping to add the time in later today. :)

No biggie, it's not a top priority. The analog clock is working and at least gives you a general idea of what time it is.

• Like 1

Here's a view of all the various icons. From left to right:

• star rating, value designated by the ticks around the star. I'm still not happy with this so it will most likely change once I come up with a better design.
  • favorite
  • completed
  • broken
  • portable

These show individually according to their respective setting in LaunchBox. They most likely won't all show at once for any given game, but for illustrative purposes I have them all enabled.

The controller icon in the bottom left and the buttons in the bottom right are changeable. I will include my PSD and AI files for those along with a few that i have pre-made. So far i have 3 controllers (XBox One, PS3, and PS4) and 2 sets of buttons (XBox and PS) already made ready to be swapped out with a simple rename of the file. This controller icon is indicative of what you are using, not that of the selected platform.

Still to do on this view are some subtle animations to bring the UI to life, including the pulsing of the game title. On the original UI, the game title pulses in color from cyan to a darker cyan which helps readability on the background. If it's too hard to read after adding the effect, I may just make the game title the same dark grey as the various other elements. I'm also throwing around the idea of putting the platform title up top after the "user" logo.

switch_wip_3.thumb.png.4d142f2b1a28bea3550a745414f9faba.png

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ALIE said:

Will it be a 24 hour clock as well? Just curious all ways been my preference. 

Since it's a string, I believe it can be set with StringFormat but I haven't tested it yet. I'll play around with it later.

• Like 1

Just FYI you can make your own user controls that work inside bigbox including the clock control you are talking about.  I already tried adding custom user controls to bigbox and they work fine.  You dont need any special bindings for this because it doesn't rely on any bigbox data.

Edited by spektor56
  • Like 1

@spektor56 Very true, but you would need to know C# or VB in order to make that happen. But yes, you can put any code into Big Box that you want these days. One of these days I'm gonna get a plugin system going so you have direct access to the data as well. :)

@ALIE @Grila The format can't be changed right now, but it will default to the system's localization settings (if your Windows is set to use 24-hour time, then it will display that way).

7 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

The format can't be changed right now, but it will default to the system's localization settings (if your Windows is set to use 24-hour time, then it will display that way).

Doesn't work for me. I've already added the clock to CriticalZone and it shows me the time in the 12h AM/PM format while my Windows clock is set to 24h.

1 minute ago, CriticalCid said:

Doesn't work for me. I've already added the clock to CriticalZone and it shows me the time in the 12h AM/PM format while my Windows clock is set to 24h.

Worked on my system.

58e7ccf0ce7a7_LaunchBoxBigBox4_7_201713_31_06.thumb.png.4f68aa87a2759f3a497700e0f345906a.png