LaunchBox Community Forums

Switch Theme WIP

Grila

@Jason Carr Any plans for user profiles in BigBox like netflix (recently played, recommended, etc)?  I see the icon in the top left for this theme is meant for switching profiles.  Would be nice to have different profiles so you can filter different games for each user (especially good for kids).  Optional password on the profile would be nice too.

Edited by spektor56
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Grila said:

Here's the Text Games View for the light version. I'm not entirely happy with it so i may re-visit the drawing board on this one.

switch_wip_6.thumb.png.775288c0d7fcbe37f93281637028bbd0.png

That looks great to me, nice and clean. I think I'm going to run this theme on my 8inch tablet. Great work as always @Grila.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

Good idea @neil9000 I'm going to see how it works out on my tablet also. As always @Grila the work is off the chain

Yeah I have showed you my tablet before with that controller dock, which puts controls on the sides of the screen. You could almost say just like the switch, so a switch theme would suit it really well. :) 

• Like 1

On 4/10/2017 at 5:02 PM, spektor56 said:

@Jason Carr Any plans for user profiles in BigBox like netflix (recently played, recommended, etc)?  I see the icon in the top left for this theme is meant for switching profiles.  Would be nice to have different profiles so you can filter different games for each user (especially good for kids).  Optional password on the profile would be nice too.

Yeah, that's definitely something I've been wanting to do for a while; we'll probably get it on the upcoming poll. :)

@Grila Stellar as always. I can't wait for this theme.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Grila said:

It's a video, but I'm open to suggestions if screenshots are preferred.

Well I'm just being selfish, but the tablet I'm looking to put this on is low on storage so if I could get away with not adding any videos that would be preferable for me personally, but if I don't have the videos then I would like a screenshot of the game instead. Your theme though so please do as you please with it. :) 

Edit, Saying that I will of course be trying this on my main system as well, which has videos so.......

Also @neil9000 and @DOS76 what resolution do you run your tablet(s) at?

The reason I ask is because for the platform wheel to be off center like it is on the original Switch UI, I had to do some major fuckery and it doesn't work at anything other that 1920x1080. That being said, I already have planned to do another more "standard wheel" like in my Nes Mini theme that will be compatible at lower resolutions.

But, if I know the resolutions you are running I can make the off-center wheel specifically for that resolution to keep the aesthetics (which would just be a drop-in replacement file).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grila said:

Also @neil9000 and @DOS76 what resolution do you run your tablet(s) at?

The reason I ask is because for the platform wheel to be off center like it is on the original Switch UI, I had to do some major fuckery and it doesn't work at anything other that 1920x1080. That being said, I already have planned to do another more "standard wheel" like in my Nes Mini theme that will be compatible at lower resolutions.

But, if I know the resolutions you are running I can make the off-center wheel specifically for that resolution to keep the aesthetics (which would just be a drop-in replacement file).

Ah good question, mine is 1280x800.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Yeah, that's definitely something I've been wanting to do for a while; we'll probably get it on the upcoming poll. :).

When it comes time for the poll, would you mind elaborating on how you intend to implement user profiles and what features you would specifically be tackling with their implementation? I think just "User Profile" is an extremely vague thing without that.

This theme looks very promising, great work as always @Grila!

Just to clarify will you be using Video Background Object for this theme? I'm not sure if its the BigBox optimization or my Monitor/HDTV but themes that doesn't use Video Background Object always has video alignment issues and they end up looking weird on my TV

@Jason Carr I believe this was requested a couple of times before but what's your take on DPI Scaling feature for BigBox? Is it possible to implement? I would love  to have that feature included in the next poll but it's up for the community to see if this request is worthy of an inclusion in the next poll.

19 minutes ago, SNAK3ATER said:

Just to clarify will you be using Video Background Object for this theme? I'm not sure if its the BigBox optimization or my Monitor/HDTV but themes that doesn't use Video Background Object always has video alignment issues and they end up looking weird on my TV

No, it's using the regular ImageVideoView because the BackgroundView stretches to fill whatever container it's in without regards to aspect ratio.  I've never had a problem with video alignment issues on any of my machines so I can't speak of that, sorry.

9 hours ago, Kriven said:

When it comes time for the poll, would you mind elaborating on how you intend to implement user profiles and what features you would specifically be tackling with their implementation? I think just "User Profile" is an extremely vague thing without that.

I don't really have that defined yet lol. I know we need parental controls but that's about it for now. We'll have to dive into it as a community when we tackle it. :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SNAK3ATER said:

This theme looks very promising, great work as always @Grila!

@Jason Carr I believe this was requested a couple of times before but what's your take on DPI Scaling feature for BigBox? Is it possible to implement? I would love  to have that feature included in the next poll but it's up for the community to see if this request is worthy of an inclusion in the next poll.

DPI scaling actually depends on the theme. By default the XAML theming engine will obey DPI scaling, but with the default theme we actually have overrides in place to ignore it (because we wanted everything to be big regardless of DPI). I agree that we need more options to control it though.

13 hours ago, Maddoc1007 said:

Id say that the reason that we have video alignment issues is that video cannot from my knowledge stretch in both directions in xaml like images can by using Fill Uniformtofill and Uniform and is not down to the dpi scaling i could be wrong @Jason Carr could maybe clarify this.

It actually varies between the Windows Media Player and VLC playback engines. The main issue is it's just really tricky to get both engines to behave exactly the same and exactly how we want. I don't think it has to do with DPI because even with a single DPI we have the same issues. I'm planning on getting back to this stuff early next week though. :)

• Like 1

I'm working on building a custom control library that can be used when creating themes and here's a little preview of a Battery indicator control that I made. It calls to PowerStatus and PowerLineStatus and updates in real-time just like any battery indicator on your phone, Windows, etc.

It has a lot of customization available such as border color, border thickness, progress bar color, battery percent text visible/hidden, battery percent text font, color, and font weight etc. etc. It also will show a plug next to it on the right when your device is plugged in and the battery is less than 100%. The will then hide once the device is unplugged or the battery is fully charged.

It may not be useful to all, but for those of you who run BigBox on a Laptop or Tablet it may come in handy. I mainly just made it for this theme because there's one there on the original UI.

I have a few more in the works but I need to get back to this theme for now.

LaunchBox Big Box 4_13_2017 1_33_15 PM.png

• Like 6