LaunchBox Community Forums

DEMUL No fullscreen

latin625

7 hours ago, DOS76 said:

Are you seeing the performance hit only if you turn of the full screen optimization? If so you could turn it back on and just use the F3 key to toggle in and out of the menu bar.

Yep only when the optimization is turned off do I get the dips. The F3 method will work for my laptop. But I am also building a closed system arcade cab and retro console (NUC Skull Canyon) where F3 isn't a viable option. Luckily those two systems should be able to walk all over Dreamcast.

Is there any known way to get DEMul to run at 320x240 while making it look good? 

In NAOMI there is an option for the dip switch to set 320x240. I have it set but it looks weird with ugly lines all over the screen and such.  I am trying to play Marvel Vs Capcom 2 which can run in 320x240 just fine (for arcades that still had standard res monitors). However, with my Wells Gardner k7400 and CRTEmudriver, I can't get it to work. All other games in MAME do 320x240 just fine, so I am thinking it's a DEMUL issue. However, I don't see others complaining about this so maybe I am doing something wrong (or this is such an edge case that no one else bothered to post about it on the internet). 

I'd use 640x480 except since I am on a standard res Wells Gardner, it does not look good (text is way too small and fuzzy). 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Is that monitor actually a 320x240. If that monitor is a standard res arcade monitor than it is not actually 320 it is likely 336 or more depending on the size of the monitor and that may be why it is not looking good at 320x240.

Edited:

A couple of product spec sheets I found on google for the K4700 showed resolution for 25" and 27" set at 600x240. Comparing specs of the K7000 at 560x240

2 hours ago, Retro808 said:

Is that monitor actually a 320x240. If that monitor is a standard res arcade monitor than it is not actually 320 it is likely 336 or more depending on the size of the monitor and that may be why it is not looking good at 320x240.

Edited:

A couple of product spec sheets I found on google for the K4700 showed resolution for 25" and 27" set at 600x240. Comparing specs of the K7000 at 560x240

Thanks but mine is the k7400, not the k4700. Unless you simply made a typo? 

Anyway is there any way I can make games look better on this monitor? MAME and all 320x240 games look fantastic on it. It's DEmul that does not look good. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2018 at 5:02 AM, Retro808 said:

Yes typo. Like @JRPGod said try tinkering with the driver. I missed the part where you said other games look fine. So it should be possible. I tried searching the issues as well and well, you said it yourself, nothing out there. 

On 2/21/2018 at 4:15 AM, JRPGod said:

Have you tried tinkering with the DX9 driver instead of the DX11? @Arcade1993

Thank you. I feel embarrassed I have to ask this but did you both mean tinkering with the actual driver itself? Or some sort of setting in DEMul? 

7 minutes ago, Arcade1993 said:

Thank you. I feel embarrassed I have to ask this but did you both mean tinkering with the actual driver itself? Or some sort of setting in DEMul? 

In Demul under plugins and paths options you can change the driver version. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2018 at 6:25 AM, Retro808 said:

In Demul under plugins and paths options you can change the driver version. 

Thanks so much. I have been messing with every setting under the sun but I cannot make 320x240 look good for some reason. It has weird lines everywhere and the picture is a mess. Is there something I am doing wrong? I even set the NAOMI BIOS to 15khz. 

39 minutes ago, Arcade1993 said:

Thanks so much. I have been messing with every setting under the sun but I cannot make 320x240 look good for some reason. It has weird lines everywhere and the picture is a mess. Is there something I am doing wrong? I even set the NAOMI BIOS to 15khz. 

Can you post a image of what you mean by "it has weird lines and the picture is a mess"  A picture is worth a thousand words and all that. :) 

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 1/17/2018 at 2:12 PM, slimskinny said:

I couldn't get CAVE to run in fullscreen using demul at first although dreamcast/naiomi/atomiswave were all fine. ended up adding this ahk script to do it for me...not fantastic but it does work. 

run,"E:\Tools\nomousy\nomousy.exe" "/hide";
sleep 2000
Send {F3};
sleep 500
send !{Enter};
Esc::
Send !{f4} ; Simulates the keypress alt+f4
run,"E:\Tools\nomousy\nomousy.exe" "/hide"
return ;

Thanks from 2022!  AHK is the only thing that worked for me on Demul 0.7! 

sleep 15000  --depending on load times for you, could need to wait even longer if you are pulling from a slow network drive.  Most roms load before 15 sec for me, but this gets the biggest ones just in case

WinGet MX0, MinMax, gpuDX11hw  --check if emulator window is maximized... gpudx11hw is emulator window title
WinGet MX1, MinMax, gpuDX11oldhw  --my emu batch script switches to the alternate dx11 dll on the fly by system (cv1000, gaelco, hikaru, etc) so I check if it exists too; can remove if you don't
WinGet MX2, style, gpuDX11hw   --I had to combine window max and style because sometimes Demul does not report maximized even when it is
WinGet MX3, style, gpuDX11oldhw 

if (!MX0 and !MX1) or (MX2==0x16000000) or (MX3==0x16000000) GOTO, END  --Naomi systems start maximized for me but the rest don't, skip maximize if Naomi

if (MX0==0) and (MX2<>"0x16000000") and (MX3<>"0x16000000")  --CV1000, Gaelco, Sammy, Hikaru systems need maximization
{    
    WinMaximize gpuDX11hw
    send !{Enter}
}

if (MX1==0) and (MX2<>"0x16000000") and (MX3<>"0x16000000")
    WinMaximize gpuDX11oldhw
    send !{Enter}
}

END:

Edited by gt46l