LaunchBox Community Forums

Bulk change ROM path's

thraxlol

Hi guys, 

So.... I setup LB with all my ROM's on a secondary HDD, and I'm now putting together a portable version (which has ROM's under the LB folder structure.

I've already got all the metadata and video's etc, but obviously a straight copy/paste means all my ROMs have the wrong file path.

Is there any way to select all games per console and edit the folder to the new one? 

I'm sort of assuming there's not, as the path goes to the file level, not the folder... but thought I'd ask so that I could avoid re-importing if possible.

There is no bulk edit rom path feature in Launchbox yet though it is something I have been asking Jason for a while.

The easiest ways right now is to either remove your games from LB and re-import them or use a text editor like Notepad++ to "find and replace" the path in the platform.xml, this is the way I did it when I moved my roms before.

If you do the re-import you can turn off the data and image scraping in the import wizard to speed it up.

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

The easiest ways right now is to either remove your games from LB and re-import them or use a text editor like Notepad++ to "find and replace" the path in the platform.xml, this is the way I did it when I moved my roms before.

• 2 years later...

I see this is an old thread but I also have a similar question. I played a lot of Super Nintendo games on an emulator before I added them and the emulator to launch-box so all my Super Nintendo games are in a folder that is not the folder that launch box keeps making for Super Nintendo games. If I move all my SNES games to the preferred folder by launch box and edit the path using the same method will that work just as well?

4 hours ago, starfiretbt said:

I see this is an old thread but I also have a similar question. I played a lot of Super Nintendo games on an emulator before I added them and the emulator to launch-box so all my Super Nintendo games are in a folder that is not the folder that launch box keeps making for Super Nintendo games. If I move all my SNES games to the preferred folder by launch box and edit the path using the same method will that work just as well?

Yes. There is a rom path change option in LB.

Are you moving them because you want to or because LB keeps making the folder? If you do not want to move them you do not have to. LB just makes the folder since that is where it would default to if you want to try and keep the whole LB build contained to make it portable.

Mainly because LB keeps making the folder so now I have a folder for Super Nintendo Entertainment System and a folder for SNES games. However the LB folder has a nicer title. So I downloaded Notepad++, I assume I need to move all the games to the other folder, open the LaunchBox\data\platforms screen, find Super Nintendo Entertainment System and open with Notepad++, and then find and replace all Games\SNES Games\ with Games\Super Nintendo Entertainment System\. Is this the correct way?

4 hours ago, damageinc86 said:

Wow, so no more notepad++ find and replace?  That is good news!

9 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

The change rom path Dos is talking about has been in LB for quite a long while now. Its not something new. 

Yeah its only been available for two and a half years. ;) 

Version 7.11 - Released September 14, 2017

• New Premium Feature: A new wall view has been added to the Big Box games lists!
  • New Premium Feature: New Big Box key and controller button mappings have been added for starting Attract Mode on demand, and spinning the wheel while a key or button is pressed (which works well for selecting a random game)
  • New Feature: A new "Launch With" option is available for each emulated game in LaunchBox and Big Box that will let you choose an emulator to use on the fly when launching games. This is available via the right-click or Game menu in LaunchBox and via the Game Details menu in Big Box. It can also be hidden in Big Box via the Game Menu options.
  • New Feature: A new "Change ROMs Folder Path for Selected Games" option is available under the Tools menu in LaunchBox that will allow you to batch edit ROM folder paths for when you move your ROM files.
  • Improvement: Massive performance improvements both in general in Big Box as well as with CoverFlow and the wheels
  • Improvement: Steam Banners have been added as an image group supported for LaunchBox and Big Box
  • Improvement: Searching for games has been significantly improved with support for alternate titles from the LaunchBox Games Database as well as better exact matching
  • Improvement: Alternate titles are now used properly when consolidating games and importing games
  • Improvement: Custom themes in Big Box now support custom images and videos for platform categories and playlists
  • Improvement: A new MaxVerticalImageResolutionOverride property has been added to the Big Box CoverFlow control to allow for larger image sizes
  • Improvement: Added a new TotalGameCount property on platforms for binding in Big Box custom themes
  • Improvement: Added a new BannerImagePath property on games for binding in Big Box custom themes
  • Improvement: SharpDX (which interfaces with DirectX) has been updated to the latest version
  • Improvement: Upgraded the included version of VLC to version 2.2.6
  • Fixed: Occasionally LaunchBox was experiencing unnecessary slowdowns due to threading issues when switching side bar selections or arrange by values
  • Fixed: Connecting and syncing your collection to the LaunchBox Games Database was broken since we converted the website to use HTTPS

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys that worked really well. I would have thanked you guys sooner but I didn't know you guys responded. I thought I would get an email if you guys said something, I didn't. But I came back because I was about to do the notepad++ hacking on my own.

I don't know if there is a section of the forum for this but you guess really do a great job. I also wanted to thank you guys for how you design the "clean up media" feature (I think it was the clean up media" feature).  I wanted LB to go through and get rid of files I wasn't using but I use LB to store other game related files so when I transfer to a new computer all I have to do is move LB and I was worried those would get deleted. I hoped the clean media would find and give me the option to select what I wanted deleted and it turned out it already did. It worked exactly as I hoped it would so I just wanted to tell you guys you are doing an amazing job.

• 2 weeks later...