LaunchBox Community Forums

Bummed out, my Launchbox keeps crashing. "Not responding" QUIT or DEBUG

cleverest

Another test that I think might be worth a shot is to create a brand new admin user account, login as that user, disable Windows Defender and any other security software, and try it with that new user.. Make sure you don't leave LB running in the original user account when trying this.

if you are running Win 10 Creators, also disable all the gaming stuff like game bar and dvr.

• Like 1

So to confirm, the nearly bare flash drive solution DOES still crash on the main PC, even after clearing cache...I left it sitting, went to work, and remote connected, and I see it's crashed...

I'm running 8.1 now, but it was happening with Win 10 and 8.1 the same...for awhile 8.1 seemed more stable but now it's just as bad....new 8 TB hard drive too...

Great advice, I will try the new account, thanks.

Edited by cleverest

Boy, what a tough problem. You've tried new and clean OS's of Win 8 and Win 10.

You've tried more than one hard drive.

You've tried running the same LB folder on another computer with no issues.

You've tried with no anti virus and security software running.

I assume you've already tried other LB versions than 7.11 already.

I assume you can run games and emulators on their own without issue.

Since you fix computers, I'm sure you have already made sure your bios and drivers are up to date and have run a RAM test.

If you are sure you don't have anything unique installed or running on your main PC, I can't think of anything else but hardware, like maybe RAM. I hate to say hardware if you can use other applications on this computer for hours with no issues at all though.

For your "soft crashes" with LB (where LB throws up a detailed message), those are surely LB bugs not handling exceptions.

For you "hard crashes" where LB just flat out crashes and you only get a Windows message that it stopped working, those aren't necessarily LB bugs (but could be).

I think most of us who have been using LB a while and have multiple computers, can say for sure we can run LB successfully on any new OS install and system we try.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ckp said:

You've tried running the same LB folder on another computer with no issues.

Good summary! Just to clarify though, I haven't tried my main 8 TB collection on another computer yet...that test will be tonight....curious if it will crash or not...I hope not, would rather not have the collection/rive me the issue come to think of it...thanks so much for the help, I'll post my results... :-)

3 minutes ago, Smannesman said:

So I've had an issue that causes my Launchbox to crash for the past four months and I've not seen any update on said issue. Is there a better way to contact the devs than Bitbucket?

I tried the livestream, but that didn't work for me.

When are you getting the crashes ? Is there something specific causing them ?

Constant crashing is a fairly isolated issue since very few people run into this kind of issue.

1 minute ago, lordmonkus said:

When are you getting the crashes ? Is there something specific causing them ?

Constant crashing is a fairly isolated issue since very few people run into this kind of issue.

It's whenever I select certain games, as mentioned in these reports: OneTwo.

This makes entire swathes of games unselectable and uneditable for me.

@cleverest I'm sorry to hear about those issues. I think @lordmonkus has probably done as good of a job as possible trying to troubleshoot it; seems like a really nasty issue. The error message that I saw a page or two back is indeed an error that I have on my list to fix, but it doesn't crash LaunchBox; it just comes up on very rare occasions for certain people, so it's most likely unrelated. As best as I can tell, we're probably dealing with one of the following:

- A .NET bug that is somehow specific to your hardware or drivers

- A hardware issue

- A driver issue

Or something similar to the above. Unfortunately that doesn't really help us solve this, especially since I'm not going to be able to ever replicate it without having your specific hardware. So we're pretty much up a creek here, sadly. I wish I had a solution but I'm not sure what we could do to solve it.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

@cleverest I'm sorry to hear about those issues. I think @lordmonkus has probably done as good of a job as possible trying to troubleshoot it; seems like a really nasty issue. The error message that I saw a page or two back is indeed an error that I have on my list to fix, but it doesn't crash LaunchBox; it just comes up on very rare occasions for certain people, so it's most likely unrelated. As best as I can tell, we're probably dealing with one of the following:

- A .NET bug that is somehow specific to your hardware or drivers

- A hardware issue

- A driver issue

Or something similar to the above. Unfortunately that doesn't really help us solve this, especially since I'm not going to be able to ever replicate it without having your specific hardware. So we're pretty much up a creek here, sadly. I wish I had a solution but I'm not sure what we could do to solve it.

Thank you for the response on this Jason...it really bums me out, I want to upgrade my LB license to a lifetime from a 1yr premium, but I have to wait until this issue is no longer occurring of course. it gets so frustrating I just stop using it after 1-2 times...

I'm going to try to run my 8 TB collection (external hard drive) tonight on my laptop tonight and see what it does...but given the crash happens on a flash drive with almost no roms on it on my desktop only...it seems obvious it is one of the things you mentioned...I guess I need to take this thing apart piece by piece to fix it until I can replace my computer...I love launchbox so much, this really sucks, but of course, I know it's not your software!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Jason, you've had no other reports of this crash exactly?... or you have? I hate this CLR file now...worst DLL on my computer, LOL

Faulting application name: LaunchBox.exe, version: 7.12.0.1, time stamp: 0x59cd55b8
Faulting module name: clr.dll, version: 4.7.2114.0, time stamp: 0x59a63e48
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000019a5c1
Faulting process id: 0x1a8c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d3389e843a61be
Faulting application path: L:\LaunchBox\LaunchBox.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\clr.dll
Report Id: 40293700-a495-11e7-8268-d050990cbf7b
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

I actually haven't heard of the clr.dll file causing any issues (at least not recently that I can remember), but it makes a whole lot of sense because clr.dll is a crucial part of .NET. Really it just suggests that .NET crashed. That exception code is an Access Violation, which basically means the same thing. At least that narrows it down to .NET crashing and not DirectX or something similar though.

So I played around with my 8 TB drive LB collection on my laptop last night, it was slower than my desktop....normal....but also had moments of some interesting lag/hourglasses that occurred. (thought it was going to crash a few times) and one time it may have closed without any error, just suddenly not open, but that was a bit ambiguous what happened there...overall it was still going on strong, it never crashed...so my portable LB collection appears to be (mostly) fine at least...

Damn desktop...

Edited by cleverest

1 minute ago, ckp said:

if your desktop is a little dated, maybe now you have good reason to UPGRADE!! :D

Actually it's not really...it's a core i5 3.4ghz (not the old generation one), 8GB DDR3 memory...SSD OS drive...mid level Nvidia cart (GT 740), it is custom built...I always custom build my PCs...maybe I'll try a different motherboard next time...but I don't thik it's the core that's the issue because I was using Launchbox for months before with this same MB/CPU/RAM/HDD without issues...

I'll probably boot to safe mode and strip everything off of it I can, to see if/when it happens.

Really appreciate you sticking it out and trying to help ckp (and everyone)