LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME not working

Wheeler

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can i ask what method you used to import your MAME games? Because the fact that none of them work and that you have zero artwork also, is very strange to me. Unless you specifically unchecked ALL the artwork checkboxes at import you should have quite a lot of artwork in your Arcade section. Also did the mame import screen show? The one where you can prioritise region, skip clones, exclude adult games etc.

It's just a hunch but as nothing works and you have no artwork, i'm wondering if you imported as something other than Arcade.

I have artwork for MAME, all my other systems only have box art in launch box, but when I launch a game the art disappears. I just downloaded Retroarch and will try that as the emulator.....do I have to go into each Rom and edit them to run on RrtroArch?

@Wheeler What version MameFX and what version romset are you using?

Reason I ask is I can replicate this exact issue with my Mame 0.186 romset and any version of MameUI from 0.186 and newer.  Both Mame and LB are pointed to where the roms are. The files will play fine in Mame, but when you direct LB to the Mame .exe and the correct roms it will not open in LB. It gives the file missing error and if you open the rom zip you can see the files there. The only way I have got it to work was download Mame 0.175 .exe. If I point LB to that version .exe and leave the 0.186 roms it will launch the rom. Change the .exe path back to 0.186 I get the error. I could even change it to 0.165 and 0.169 versions of the .exe I have and I do not get the error. So for now I just left LB pointing to the 0.186 roms and the 0.175 MameUI .exe.

Here is an example of it saying files missing, but you can see in the rom there are there. This game will run directly in Mame no issue.

CaptureError1.thumb.JPG.f598816f8803179a81862daf9fdb5a93.JPG

CaptureError2.JPG.198915a8889f7c247d75f352a1a95dcf.JPG

OK I tried retroarch and I can get ROMs to play if I go into RetroArch itself and load it, but from launchbox I can right click and hit play and nothing happens. @Retro808 the roms worked just fine in HyperSpin launching from their FE.

Edited by Wheeler

Just now, DOS76 said:

For RetroArch did you go into manage emulators edit your RA entry and add arcade to the RA associated platforms arcade is not included in the automatic setup if I remember correctly

Was just about to say the same, also remember there are several mame versions, so you need to put the exact one you are using in the associated platform.

13 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

ok Arcade is there but whatever should be to the right of that is blank (which might also have been the reason MAME was not working). What exactly should go there?

You will need to add the name of the mame core that you are using, you can find this in your Retroarch/Cores folder. So you should have a line that looks a bit like, -L "cores\the name of your specific core_libretro.dll" 

ok so I have been waiting to update the info for RetroArch as my PC if looking at every game in my library to get the box art and such. I started this by going to  tools than download metadata. It took forever (still going) and noticed a red link above the cancel button that said I had over 9000 errors and when I click on it I get the following:

IMG_2228.thumb.JPG.8752ffc17f3c72c64ebac42d476df0da.JPG

And if you were to go to the right at the very end stated the remote server returned and error ( 404 error).

I am signed into emumovies and it tests the connection to that just fine......so again I am at a loss.

PS sorry for being a PITA.

hank you will try again later on, now that that I all over with finally I tried to update RetroArchs core. There was a few MAME one and I tried them all with little success. It only plays the very OLD arcade games, where games like Killer Instinct 1 and 2 will crash RetroArch. I would love to top bugging you all with this, honestly. I just don't know why I cant see to get MAME or RetroArch to work with this FE. RetroArch will not open Killer Instinct with any code selected I should mention.

Any thoughts and fixes is greatly appreciated

No worries. One thing great about this forum is the members will stick with you and try to figure out any issues. 

I would try a different version of Mame. @Zombeaver earlier linked to some older version of Mame. Try one of those. 

edited to add:

What version MameFX are you using? Maybe I can load it on my system and see if I get the error as well since I no I can recreate it with MameUI. 

Edited by Retro808

I am going to make a suggestion right now and while it probably isn't the most appealing at first glance I believe it really is the best in the long run.

I would suggest obtaining an up to date rom set and the command line version of Mame to match the set.

If that is not an option due to internet bandwidth caps or something I fully understand.