LaunchBox Community Forums

2 hours ago, neil9000 said:

The fix is that the theme needs updating, it uses a video plugin that interacts with VLC, VLC was moved so the plugin can no longer find it and throws the error. The theme and plugin creator has not been on the forums in 6 months, so i dont expect the theme will get that update im afraid.

That's unfortunate. I hope the creator is okay, and is able to implement a fix, this has been an amazing theme.

1 hour ago, bundangdon said:

Just to chime in as a long time user of this theme and even a fork of this theme which I put together, I can tell you that it's been broken ever since version 10 (-ish?) of LaunchBox/BigBox. So, I'd advise you to keep your old installation if you want to keep using Nostalgia until the author of this theme applies a fix or update to get it working with the most recent version.

Do you know which file(s)/directories I can pull from the old installation that will make it work on the new computer? Part of me really doesn't want to copy the whole directory.

27 minutes ago, Pyrometheous said:

That's unfortunate. I hope the creator is okay, and is able to implement a fix, this has been an amazing theme.

Do you know which file(s)/directories I can pull from the old installation that will make it work on the new computer? Part of me really doesn't want to copy the whole directory.

I'm not totally sure, but you'd have to keep most of the installation files and folders because it's built into the executable (LaunchBox.exe and BigBox.exe), but stuff like games, images, videos, sounds, themes and configuration files within the LaunchBox folder can be interchanged (kept) with either version.

7 hours ago, Pyrometheous said:

The CoinOP theme is similar, I wonder if there would be a way to modify that one to look more like Nostalgia. I have some development experience, but haven't had time to learn how to do themes yet, maybe I can figure out a way to create a spiritual successor of some kind.

Or, what you could do is use the same artwork from Nostalgia and CoinOp to put something (similar) together with the Community Theme Creator, which will obviously take some time and effort but a lot easier than having to manually code another theme

3 minutes ago, bundangdon said:

Or, what you could do is use the same artwork from Nostalgia and CoinOp to put something (similar) together with the Community Theme Creator, which will obviously take some time and effort but a lot easier than having to manually code another theme

Where is this Community Theme Creator? I'd love to give this a try.

Okay, I've been playing around with the Community Theme Creator, and it's been a little difficult to work with, but I'm making progress. Currently, I'm running into an issue with the platform videos not lining up correctly for each platform. I don't know how to have the position be unique per platform so that they align with the screens correctly.

• Game On 1

1 hour ago, Pyrometheous said:

Okay, I've been playing around with the Community Theme Creator, and it's been a little difficult to work with, but I'm making progress. Currently, I'm running into an issue with the platform videos not lining up correctly for each platform. I don't know how to have the position be unique per platform so that they align with the screens correctly.

My 2 cents would be not to match the video to each graphic, but to match each graphic to the position of the video.

2 hours ago, faeran said:

My 2 cents would be not to match the video to each graphic, but to match each graphic to the position of the video.

I might, but I'm trying to re-create it to match what it was before. I liked that the screen was able to move around depending on the display like that.

I've simultaneously been working on fixing the original theme to work with the new version of LB/BB, and I've made some good progress, but I'm getting this stupide blocked DLL error, and I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out why it still thinks the file is blocked. The unblock checkbox doesn't appear in properties, I've written a powershell script to unblock everything in that directory, but still LB thinks they're blocked. Outside of that, the theme doesn't crash BigBox anymore, and everything appears to be in working order, except for video playback. So I think I'm getting closer to fixing this theme. I had to go back to an earlier version of the theme and start working up from there. May not finish this today, but I'm happy with the progress I'm making. 

If anyone has a suggestion for how to fix the DLL being blocked, let me know.

The PowerShell script I wrote for it is:

Read-Host -Prompt "Path of Blocked File" -OutVariable _BlockedFile; get-childitem $_BlockedFile | unblock-file -confirm

I was thinking that, if I get this theme patched, I could upload it with the .ps1 file to make it easier for people to unblock them.

Just an FYI, but one possible fix is if you change your BB video engine to Windows Media the theme still works. WMP is actually the recommended setting for this theme, but VLC is the recommended setting for BB. So if you are dead set on using this theme, there is at least an option until a fix is done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Retro808 said:

Just an FYI, but one possible fix is if you change your BB video engine to Windows Media the theme still works. WMP is actually the recommended setting for this theme, but VLC is the recommended setting for BB. So if you are dead set on using this theme, there is at least an option until a fix is done.

You're amazing, thank you, I'll give that a try when I jump back on that computer. Hopefully it works. 

5 minutes ago, Pyrometheous said:

You're amazing, thank you, I'll give that a try when I jump back on that computer. Hopefully it works. 

I just got done testing to confirm and it works fine on several set-ups. So hopefully no issues for you either. The theme’s issue is with its reference to VLC. Since it is not needing access to VLC you bypass the issue. 

• Game On 1

41 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

I just got done testing to confirm and it works fine on several set-ups. So hopefully no issues for you either. The theme’s issue is with its reference to VLC. Since it is not needing access to VLC you bypass the issue. 

Just tested it myself, and it works perfectly with that one thing changed. I can't believe it was such a simple fix. Now I'm curious if I can change the clock to a 12hr format lol. Thank you so much for figuring this out for me, that really made my day.

Yes, this theme works with WMP but not VLC, as noted by Jason in the thread I mentioned. The problem for me was I don't have WMP installed and I'd rather avoid since I also use LB on Linux.

As it turns out, I forgot to move the VLC folder back for the previous beta. Beta 10 is out now with the moved VLC folder back to the original location (which should fix the issues with eatkinola's plugins).

Edited by Tony

27 minutes ago, Pyrometheous said:

Just tested it myself, and it works perfectly with that one thing changed. I can't believe it was such a simple fix. Now I'm curious if I can change the clock to a 12hr format lol. Thank you so much for figuring this out for me, that really made my day.

Should be able to adjust that easily. In the theme's folder go to the \Views\Styles folder and right click+edit the Nostalgia.xaml. Go to line 123 and change the Setter Property for Hour12 from "False" to "True".

18 minutes ago, Tony said:

Yes, this theme works with WMP but not VLC, as noted by Jason in the thread I mentioned. The problem for me was I don't have WMP installed and I'd rather avoid since I also use LB on Linux.As it turns out, I forgot to move the VLC folder back for the previous beta. Beta 10 is out now with the moved VLC folder back to the original location (which should fix the issues with eatkinola's plugins).

Yes I am aware of that which is why I mentioned it was a possible option. Unfortunately for users such as you this theme requires either a fix from Eatkinola or hopefully something from Jason.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1.10.2018 at 11:58 PM, xzerox said:

Hello, thanks for answering.
Regarding the videos, I think I should make an account with emumovies and see how it goes.
Regarding the mame playlist are these:
Playlists for arcade genres - 2-Player, 4-Player, Ball & Paddle, Beat Em Ups, Board & Card, Fighting, Flying, Light Gun, Maze, MultiGames, Pinball Arcade, Platform, Puzzle, Racing, Run & Gun, Shoot Em Ups, Shooter, Sports

these are in the following link in case you want to see them in video

https://forums.launchbox-app.com/files/file/1157-nostalgia-169-video-additions-set/

greetings and thanks

1506541574_FightingGames16x9.mp4_snapsho

1611766228_4-PlayerGames16x9.mp4_snapsho

1469162541_PlatformGames16x9.mp4_snapsho

Hello. 

How can i use this Videos in Nostalgia?

Where must I Put it?

Edited by Impact_Thomas