Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums

Recommended Posts

On 8/3/2019 at 3:57 PM, HTPCei said:

I think last time I tested (my setup is changing constantly btw, so makes it harder to pin things down) everything worked fine when I used a single-monitor setup. Plugin, startup/shutdown, pause screens, steam overlay,.. since then I've been messing with displayfusion a bit (I suspect certain taskbar settings might affect which target monitor is used etc), as well as altering the setup by switching back to dual-monitor. The plugin itself seems to be working great when theres nothing else to "confuse" it.., thanks again!

@HTPCei, if you get a chance to do some more testing and can narrow down or better describe the issue you are having, I'd be glad to help if there is something I can do. As I just explained to @JedExodus however, I did a bunch of testing today and couldn't reproduce any of the issues either of you were describing. I'm on the latest version of Steam and LaunchBox, and I'm running MSI Afterburner (including RivaTuner) and DisplayFusion. Additionally, I'm running a rather unconventional triple monitor setup (see picture below) and besides the rare occasion when I see the issue I described in my previous post, everything seems to be running well on my end. Perhaps you could check your startup/shutdown/pause screen settings to see if they match the screenshots I provided in my response to @JedExodus?

image.thumb.png.6f33521f8b5f39e4e0d680a2f562c2ad.png

Edited by Lahma
fixed picture

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for looking into it @Lahma, I feel the problem is a software/driver issue. I opened a thread in troubleshooting for this as I suspected it may be a more general issue. 

@HTPCei I'm not running dual monitors, I'm running just on a big cheap 60HZ 4K television. Are you running any programs in the background that could potentially interfere? My suspect for my issue is Touchmote but haven't had time to test thoroughly yet.

Do you ever get an issue where the taskbar is showing over windows that should be in exclusive full screen whilst LB is running btw? Started observing this behaviour when the screens began playing up

Edited by JedExodus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, JedExodus said:

Thanks for looking into it @Lahma, I feel the problem is a software/driver issue. I opened a thread in troubleshooting for this as I suspected it may be a more general issue. 

@HTPCei I'm not running dual monitors, I'm running just on a big cheap 60HZ 4K television. Are you running any programs in the background that could potentially interfere? My suspect for my issue is Touchmote but haven't had time to test thoroughly yet.

Do you ever get an issue where the taskbar is showing over windows that should be in exclusive full screen whilst LB is running btw? Started observing this behaviour when the screens began playing up

I've experienced the taskbar issue frequently on Windows 10 and as far as I'm aware it is a Windows 10 bug that still has yet to be sorted out. If you Google the issue, you will find tons of threads on the issue. Personally, I've never figured out what circumstances cause it on my machine... Although if I'm being completely honest, I don't see the issue very often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just an FYI, if anyone is having any issues with the Steam overlay not showing up and/or your Guide/PS button not bringing up the overlay, take a look at your Steam client settings and make sure that your settings look like this:

image.thumb.png.72cdffc25271e504402da560341b3ff5.pngThis is probably more applicable to those running dInput controllers (such as Playstation/DualShock controllers), but I'm not 100% sure. Thanks to @The_Keeper86 for messaging me about this problem. It took a couple of days to figure out what the problem was, but thankfully we were finally able to narrow it down to this. I think one of these settings was added/changed/reset a couple of Steam updates ago.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New Steam Beta Causing Issues with SteamLauncher

A new Steam beta client has been released which completely overhauls the Steam 'Library' API/GUI and because it has significantly changed the way that some things work internally, it is causing some weird issues with the plugin. I don't entirely understand what is going on yet but the behavior that I'm seeing is that whenever I launch a game, the correct game name (name of the game I just chose to launch) will be shown in my 'Currently Playing' status but instead of that game actually being launched, the previous game that successfully launched will be launched instead. It appears that if you close the incorrectly launched game and try to launch the correct game again that it will then work on the 2nd try... Again, I don't understand why this is happening yet, but I am looking into. Until I get things fixed, your best bet is to just switch to the non-beta Steam client. I will update this thread when I know more.

P.S. Just wanted to say thanks to @ZinoPrimo for contacting me on Steam and helping me troubleshoot things. He has been very patient and willing to spend time time helping me troubleshoot things. Now that I've figured out that the issue is not related to his setup but is instead related to using the new beta, hopefully I won't need to bug him anymore.

Edited by Lahma

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Lahma said:

New Steam Beta Causing Issues with SteamLauncher

A new Steam beta client has been released which completely overhauls the Steam 'Library' API/GUI and because it has significantly changed the way that some things work internally, it is causing some weird issues with the plugin. I don't entirely understand what is going on yet but the behavior that I'm seeing is that whenever I launch a game, the correct game name (name of the game I just chose to launch) will be shown in my 'Currently Playing' status but instead of that game actually being launched, the previous game that successfully launched will be launched instead. It appears that if you close the incorrectly launched game and try to launch the correct game again that it will then work on the 2nd try... Again, I don't understand why this is happening yet, but I am looking into. Until I get things fixed, your best bet is to just switch to the non-beta Steam client. I will update this thread when I know more.

P.S. Just wanted to say thanks to @ZinoPrimo for contacting me on Steam and helping me troubleshoot things. He has been very patient and willing to spend time time helping me troubleshoot things. Now that I've figured out that the issue is not related to his setup but is instead related to using the new beta, hopefully I won't need to bug him anymore.

This happened to me as well last night as much as I love the new layout I'm gonna revert back to stable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah bummer. Have not upgraded to the beta yet. Hoping it doesn't  take too much to figure out what they've changed. This plugin is the cornerstone of my setup, couldn't imsgine being without it anymore😭😭!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, JedExodus said:

Ah bummer. Have not upgraded to the beta yet. Hoping it doesn't  take too much to figure out what they've changed. This plugin is the cornerstone of my setup, couldn't imsgine being without it anymore😭😭!

I don't think it is going to be any big deal (I certainly hope not), but honestly it was kind of the last thing I was expecting. I thought after I had FINALLY figured out a reliable, update-proof method of finding the pointers/vtable offsets I needed that would not have to be worrying about updates too much anymore. Definitely didn't expect Valve to be implementing a complete redesign/overhaul of the game library functionality... I think I probably rely on my own plugin just as much as anyone else though so it is imperative for my own use that I fix it :) I've been a bit busy, but I think I'm going to look at it tonight. I'll keep the thread updated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So @cammelspit just notified me that the new Library update came out of beta so I imagine many of you are having problems with the plugin since I haven't released a new update yet. I have the plugin mostly fixed for the new library, but I just haven't had time to release an update yet. I'm out of town right now, but I should be home tomorrow. I'm going to try to get an update pushed out asap. Sorry about the long delay on this update. I'm really kind of ashamed how long I've taken on this one... but I promise a fix is coming.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the time being (until I get the update pushed out), I think it works as long as you launch the game twice (it launches the correct game the 2nd time).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Lahma said:

For the time being (until I get the update pushed out), I think it works as long as you launch the game twice (it launches the correct game the 2nd time).

Yeah, I figured that out. No rush on the update though take your time :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/31/2019 at 4:14 PM, Lahma said:

So @cammelspit just notified me that the new Library update came out of beta so I imagine many of you are having problems with the plugin since I haven't released a new update yet. I have the plugin mostly fixed for the new library, but I just haven't had time to release an update yet. I'm out of town right now, but I should be home tomorrow. I'm going to try to get an update pushed out asap. Sorry about the long delay on this update. I'm really kind of ashamed how long I've taken on this one... but I promise a fix is coming.

No panic man, your work is always appreciated :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen. I finally got back home yesterday, but now I have family in town staying at my house until tomorrow. I'm hoping to be able to get something pushed out tomorrow after they leave, but I don't want to make any promises.

 

P.S. One of the problems I'm still dealing with is this new Steam Library is buggy as hell.. like really bad.. I can't even scroll down my games list without the interface soft crashing, turning black, and reloading. It seems like it does this every time if I scroll too fast, whereas if I scroll really slowly, it seems to happen less often. And that is just one of many other problems..

Edited by Lahma

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Lahma said:

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen. I finally got back home yesterday, but now I have family in town staying at my house until tomorrow. I'm hoping to be able to get something pushed out tomorrow after they leave, but I don't want to make any promises.

 

P.S. One of the problems I'm still dealing with is this new Steam Library is buggy as hell.. like really bad.. I can't even scroll down my games list without the interface soft crashing, turning black, and reloading. It seems like it does this every time if I scroll too fast, whereas if I scroll really slowly, it seems to happen less often. And that is just one of many other problems..

My library just shows a black screen until I restart Steam lol. Not sure why they pushed the new library update so quick as much as I do like the new layout.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I'm glad to hear that it is not just me... I mean, it is such a broken mess that it is utterly laughable. Any changes made to the library through the API properly update the shortcuts.vdf file as they should, but those changes aren't reflected in the interface AT ALL, period... even after restarting Steam!! I don't even know how that is possible... Steam should have to read the shortcuts.vdf file to build the library UI when it is starting up, but its like it just completely ignores it and is getting its data from elsewhere. It is super bizarre...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

23 hours ago, The_Keeper86 said:

My library just shows a black screen until I restart Steam lol. Not sure why they pushed the new library update so quick as much as I do like the new layout.

 

12 hours ago, Lahma said:

Well I'm glad to hear that it is not just me... I mean, it is such a broken mess that it is utterly laughable. Any changes made to the library through the API properly update the shortcuts.vdf file as they should, but those changes aren't reflected in the interface AT ALL, period... even after restarting Steam!! I don't even know how that is possible... Steam should have to read the shortcuts.vdf file to build the library UI when it is starting up, but its like it just completely ignores it and is getting its data from elsewhere. It is super bizarre...

Hate to be that guy but it actually works flawlessly for me.

Maybe of worth noting that I haven't attempted to use SteamLauncher with the new interface knowing that it doesn't work currently and the games i'm playing currently are all native to Steam. Haven't head any similar reports from my mates who use Steam normally either? Maybe just luck of the draw though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you search online, you will find that there are very mixed reports. Some people such as yourself are seeing absolutely no problems while others are experiencing boatloads of issues. Actually, it might be useful to get some info from you @JedExodus... Approximately how many non-Steam shortcuts do you currently have in your Steam client? How many normal Steam shortcuts (Steam games)? It would actually be super useful to me if I could get you to run a little Steam API troubleshooter utility that I made to see if you experience the same issues with the Steam API that I am seeing. If you wouldn't mind helping me out for a min when you have some free time, hit me up on Steam. It should only take a few min.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wanted to let you guys know I got the plugin fixed and 100% working with Steam stable and the Steam beta. I just need to cleanup my code a bit and compile a new release. I will try to get it pushed out later today (tomorrow for me.. it is 5am and I still haven't gone to bed) if possible.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Lahma said:

Just wanted to let you guys know I got the plugin fixed and 100% working with Steam stable and the Steam beta. I just need to cleanup my code a bit and compile a new release. I will try to get it pushed out later today (tomorrow for me.. it is 5am and I still haven't gone to bed) if possible.

Sounds good!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...