LaunchBox Community Forums

2 minutes ago, Lahma said:

I wasn't aware that a new LB update was out but even so, there should be little chance that a LB update would break the plugin. From what you've said though, it sounds like that may be the case. I will look into the problem right now, and I will try to post a new beta build of the plugin in this thread shortly. Also, thank you @hadrex83 for the report about the crash occurring when there is no 'config.xml' file in the SteamLauncher directory. Normally this wouldn't be a problem as the plugin would just generate a new default 'config.xml' file but there was a small bug that was causing the debug logging to try to access a config value before the new default config had been generated. I got that bug fixed already and I'm looking into the new LB update right now.

The early 11.3 betas broke all plugins, that has been mostly fixed, but there are a few still having issues.

11 minutes ago, Lahma said:

I wasn't aware that a new LB update was out but even so, there should be little chance that a LB update would break the plugin. From what you've said though, it sounds like that may be the case. I will look into the problem right now, and I will try to post a new beta build of the plugin in this thread shortly. Also, thank you @hadrex83 for the report about the crash occurring when there is no 'config.xml' file in the SteamLauncher directory. Normally this wouldn't be a problem as the plugin would just generate a new default 'config.xml' file but there was a small bug that was causing the debug logging to try to access a config value before the new default config had been generated. I got that bug fixed already and I'm looking into the new LB update right now.

Thank you for your hard work making an invaluable plugin. I have 1167 PC games in my collection with varying degrees of controller support or no controller support this plugin is a godsend.

• Like 1

Just now, neil9000 said:

The early 11.3 betas broke all plugins, that has been mostly fixed, but there are a few still having issues.

Ah.. Good to know. No wonder I didn't know an update was available.. I didn't know @hadrex83 was referring to beta updates. I have never opted into beta updates or really even paid much attention to them. You said most of the problems with plugins have been fixed.. do you mean in a newly released beta or have those fixes not been published yet? If there is a new beta that fixes the issues with plugins, could you give me a URL where I can download it to test it out or do I have to update directly from within LB? I appreciate you popping into the thread and clearing up some of the confusion for us @neil9000.

1 minute ago, Lahma said:

Ah.. Good to know. No wonder I didn't know an update was available.. I didn't know @hadrex83 was referring to beta updates. I have never opted into beta updates or really even paid much attention to them. You said most of the problems with plugins have been fixed.. do you mean in a newly released beta or have those fixes not been published yet? If there is a new beta that fixes the issues with plugins, could you give me a URL where I can download it to test it out or do I have to update directly from within LB? I appreciate you popping into the thread and clearing up some of the confusion for us @neil9000.

11.3 official was released and then pulled originally, so some people updated to it while it was briefly out. The revised 11.3 is either out now, or due out very soon, i cant really tell as i was one of the people who updated when it was originally pushed out, so there is nothing for me to update to.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

11.3 official was released and then pulled originally, so some people updated to it while it was briefly out. The revised 11.3 is either out now, or due out very soon, i cant really tell as i was one of the people who updated when it was originally pushed out, so there is nothing for me to update to.

I must have gotten the 11.3 official that was out briefly since I'm not opted into beta builds.

1 minute ago, hadrex83 said:

Thank you for your hard work making an invaluable plugin. I have 1167 PC games in my collection with varying degrees of controller support or no controller support this plugin is a godsend.

You're very welcome and I appreciate you saying thank you. I am of the opinion that the Steam controller configuration feature/overlay is of immeasurable value and that there is simply no alternative that offers even a fraction of its utility. Whether one is using a Steam controller or just a normal xinput/dinput controller, the level of customization possible is simply astounding.

I developed this plugin as a means of making it easier and more convenient to utilize Valve's brilliant utility and even if I was the only person using my plugin, I would continue to develop it for my sake alone as I legitimately value Steam's controller configuration functionality that much. The fact that others find it useful too is an awesome bonus and a great incentive to write cleaner, better code so that others might also make use of it if desired. Plus, it always feels great to hear someone say that they find your app/plugin/code useful... Makes it all feel more worthwhile.

I really wish I'd have had  more time over the last year to keep the plugin/documentation/Github up-to-date but unfortunately that hasn't been the case. I know I've been saying for awhile now that the 1.0 release is incoming, but I really am very close now to having it complete. Once I'm finished with that, I'm going to completely revamp the plugin download page, its documentation, and my Github. I really appreciate everyone being patient!

26 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Ah, that clears up a lot of confusion... Thanks for the info. I think I will just wait till LB notifies me that the 11.3 (non beta) update is available.

I just got 11.4 update and I still get the this error

---------------------------
LaunchBox
The file you've specified for the emulator application path was not found.
OK   

Edited by Nokiaman

If the new LB update did break the plugin, I will look into it as quickly as I can. I'm in the middle of trying to leave town but when I get to where I'm going, I will try to push out an update. If by chance you got the bad 11.3 update that broke all plugins, its possible that SteamLauncher could have poisoned one of your emulator paths. You might just double check to make sure your emulator paths are correct and then try the plugin again. I doubt that is the problem, but it's worth a try. As if keeping up with Steam updates breaking the plugin wasn't enough... now it appears I get the added fun of dealing with LB updates breaking it too :)

Edited by Lahma
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, I got the plugin fixed. Give me just a bit to compile a build and post it here.

Edit: Turns out I'm running into another problem now... This change to .NET Core in the 11.3 update has really wrecked a whole host of things in the plugin.. I'm working to get y'all a build as quickly as I can. I'm a bit frustrated at the moment, but I'll keep updating my progress here... If I can get something pushed out tonight I will.

Edited by Lahma
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

I can work around these problems by investing many, many more hours of time if I really have to, but I was really hoping that wasn't going to be required... It is looking like it might be though.. I WILL get a working version of the plugin out to y'all regardless. I am genuinely sorry it is taking so long.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for liking my post in my dialog with Jason @The_Keeper86. Anyone else who is waiting for the plugin to be fixed and would like to encourage a fix for the problems caused in the recent LB update, it would probably be helpful if you follow The_Keeper86's lead. The thread is here:

Regardless of the outcome of that dialog however, I am working on a fix on my end that hopefully won't depend upon the action of the LB devs. It is a bit ridiculous though that I have to manually patch the .NET Core CLR during runtime, dynamically patching LB code on-the-fly, just to allow debugging of my own plugin.. ?

• Like 2

Alright... I finally got the plugin working again after sorting through a large number of issues caused by the recent LB updates. I went ahead and just converted it over to .NET Core since that is the direction that LB is going in now. I'm going to clean up a few more things and I'll try to post an alpha build here in the thread sometime later today. This whole fiasco definitely threw off my plans for the 1.0 build, but I'm still hoping to get that pushed out soon since I've now worked through all of these new issues. After that, perhaps I can look into Linux support... Anyone tried LB through Wine on Linux yet?

P.S. I really appreciate all of you guys' patience. It really bothers me to have the plugin not working for such a long period of time but this whole change over to .NET Core really came out of left field.

Edited by Lahma
  • Thanks 4