LaunchBox Community Forums

Hi, is anyone else using this with Rocketlauncher?

I've just downloaded the new .dll but It's not working for me unfortunately,, I'm getting RocketLauncher errors about "%default emulator%"...

Big thanks to you though Lahma, for this great plugin, I was using it for a while before the update killed it.. now I'm setting up Parsec for WAN multiplayer, and it would be great to have this feature working alongside it.

Edited by HTPCei
RocketLauncher, not Launchbox

2 hours ago, HTPCei said:

I've just downloaded the new .dll but It's not working for me unfortunately,, I'm getting RocketLauncher errors about "%default emulator%"...

Big thanks to you though Lahma, for this great plugin, I was using it for a while before the update killed it.. now I'm setting up Parsec for WAN multiplayer, and it would be great to have this feature working alongside it.

Being that I am not a user of RocketLauncher, and I know very little about it, I unfortunately probably cannot provide much help. As a result of my lack of knowledge concerning that topic, I don't really understand why you would want to use LaunchBox+RocketLauncher+SteamLauncher. Can you explain to me what the purpose of that workflow is? One thing I can state with certainty is that almost nothing has changed in SteamLauncher between the last release and this beta release. Quite literally the only change is that I'm forcing the code to use a static offset instead of trying to be "smart" about what offset to use. To the end user, the functionality is 100% identical, so if anything broke in your workflow, it should not have anything to do with SteamLauncher. 

Additionally, SteamLauncher doesn't use or create any environment variables such as "%default emulator%", so that error doesn't have anything to do with SteamLauncher. If there is anything else I can help you with, or any further clarifications I can make for you, just let me know, and I'd be happy to help out however I can.

3 hours ago, HTPCei said:

This thread on their forum might have an answer for you: http://www.rlauncher.com/forum/showthread.php?3902-No-Default-Emulator-found

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, HTPCei said:

I use RL here for everything including steam games, but i haven't tried this plugin.

All i do is make sure you have an emulator is setup as PC Launcher and that you have ticked the virtual emulator option. Then assign that emulator to your Steam Games system in RL, then you will need to go to the module under that system and edit the module setting, add each game and set its steamid, takes a bit of time to setup each game if you have a lot installed, but once added even if you uninstall and reinstall at a later date you won't need to do it again. 

As an addition you can't audit the games to green unless you go the txt/fake zip route. 

Heres is some pics in case you need them

RocketLauncherUI_2018-09-15_03-12-10.thumb.png.e7a2aeb8cdcb74026eb5396580af02ec.png

RocketLauncherUI_2018-09-15_03-12-24.png

RocketLauncherUI_2018-09-15_03-12-48.png

Edited by MadK9
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, MadK9 said:

I use RL here for everything including steam games, but i haven't tried this plugin.

All i do is make sure you have an emulator is setup as PC Launcher and that you have ticked the virtual emulator option. Then assign that emulator to your Steam Games system in RL, then you will need to go to the module under that system and edit the module setting, add each game and set its steamid, takes a bit of time to setup each game if you have a lot installed, but once added even if you uninstall and reinstall at a later date you won't need to do it again. 

As an addition you can't audit the games to green unless you go the txt/fake zip route. 

Heres is some pics in case you need them

RocketLauncherUI_2018-09-15_03-12-10.thumb.png.e7a2aeb8cdcb74026eb5396580af02ec.png

RocketLauncherUI_2018-09-15_03-12-24.png

RocketLauncherUI_2018-09-15_03-12-48.png

I think maybe you've misunderstood the purpose of this plugin (or maybe not, its kinda hard to tell from your post). The description of the plugin explains it very thoroughly, but the whole idea of this plugin is to allow you to launch any game, emulator/rom combo, or really anything through Steam, without the need to explicitly add any non-Steam shortcuts to Steam. It allows you to right click any game/rom inside of LaunchBox and click "Launch via Steam", and it will automatically launch that game or rom/emulator through Steam with the Steam overlay enabled, at which point you can setup any controller bindings you want, and those bindings will be saved between gaming sessions (and your Steam game library will not be cluttered with hundreds/thousands of shortcuts for all the different roms you play, as the plugin transparently reuses only 1 hidden Steam shortcut for everything it does). You also get the additional benefit of having your Steam status automatically show whatever rom/game you are playing (again, without actually having an explicit non-Steam shortcut setup for that rom/emulator). For example, your status might show "MadK9 is playing 'Super Metroid (SNES)'". 

Maybe this helps explain a bit better why I was confused about HTPCei's use of RocketLauncher in combination with SteamLauncher. SteamLauncher requires you to click a context menu item for any given rom within LaunchBox itself, and then SteamLauncher handles the launching of games, roms/emus internally (it gets the proper emu/rom paths and command line arguments from LaunchBox, but then it actually utilizes a function in the Steam API to launch the newly reconfigured hidden Steam shortcut). For that reason, I'm not making the connection on how RocketLauncher fits into that equation in any way.

I guess it could just be that you have RocketLauncher setup as your emulator within LaunchBox (and then it handles actually launching the correct emulator itself), and therefore SteamLauncher is actually launching RocketLauncher, which then launches the correct emulator/rom. However, if that is the case, I'm surprised with all of that redirection, that any emulator would still open through Steam and actually display the Steam overlay correctly. If it does though, then awesome! Or maybe I've totally misunderstood this whole thing ?

• Thanks 1

OK, well i didn't read the plugin info, so my bad should of done that, i just see Rockertlauncher mentioned.

Anyone using RocketLauncher will pretty much have that as the only emulator in Launchbox, then in RL we setup the emulator(s) needed. I guess this plugin is null and void to a certain degree for anyone using RL, But hey i will give it a go and see what happens :)

My steam overlay works fine using Rocketlauncher just for information purposes. And regarding how RocketLauncher works, add the games as normal in LB with the Steam Import, set rl as the emulator, then as the images above show you just set them up as a virtual PC Launcher system, then each game you just set its SteamID, and thats basically it. Everythnig works fine with transitions, rl's own pause menu and steams overlay.

Edited by MadK9
  • Thanks 1

Lahma , thanks again for the plugin. Most of what you say in this paragraph is a pretty accurate description of my setup, and I can see why you might not see the point of RocketLauncher.

I'm quite new to it myself but the fade screens look awesome, and are very good at hiding console windows etc. when switching between programs; the integrated Pause menu looks great (cant get it to work by controller shortcut yet) and the controller support/priority options .. to name but a few of the useful features it has for me. And the reason for adding Steam Launcher to this setup, is as I stated in my original post, I think it'd be great to get Steam Launcher and Parsec multiplayer streaming working together.. Anyway..

Thanks for all the info folks, much appreciated, but I think anything else I need to know about this subject belongs in another thread for now. I'll post back here if I get it all working together though.

17 hours ago, Lahma said:

I guess it could just be that you have RocketLauncher setup as your emulator within LaunchBox (and then it handles actually launching the correct emulator itself), and therefore SteamLauncher is actually launching RocketLauncher, which then launches the correct emulator/rom. However, if that is the case, I'm surprised with all of that redirection, that any emulator would still open through Steam and actually display the Steam overlay correctly. If it does though, then awesome! Or maybe I've totally misunderstood this whole thing ?

Edited by HTPCei
Edit: too much quote

6 hours ago, Nielk1 said:

Rocketlauncher sadly blocks the Steam overlay hooks.  I have not dug into why yet but my guess is it makes its own accelerate graphics buffer and gets in the way of the game's.  Thus, launching rocketlauncher via this plugin likely doesn't work well.

My Rocketlauncher setup works fine with steam with Overlays perfectly intact. Not sure if you mean by itself or with this plugin, but i can assure i have full overlay support.

7 minutes ago, MadK9 said:

My Rocketlauncher setup works fine with steam with Overlays perfectly intact. Not sure if you mean by itself or with this plugin, but i can assure i have full overlay support.

Just out of curiosity, does it also work while using SteamLauncher?

21 hours ago, MadK9 said:

I guess this plugin is null and void to a certain degree for anyone using RL, But hey i will give it a go and see what happens :)

Now that I understand RL a bit better, I don't think using RL really negates the usefulness or purpose of using SteamLauncher. RL, or no RL, it still serves the exact same purpose (that is, if the Steam overlay still works). I don't know if RL has some type of controller configuration options built in, but I can confidently say that NOTHING comes close to Steam in that regard. Then again, I'm a bit of a geek when it comes to setting up controller profiles (multi-layered radial menus, custom icons in radial menus, custom mouse click coordinates [for things such as 3DS games' touch menu items], custom gyro triggers, etc). I doubt most people make such thorough use of Steam's endless advanced controller configuration options (though some people even take it much farther - *cough* @cammelspit *cough). 

3 hours ago, MadK9 said:

It has never worked for me or several other people.  Every time Steam.exe launches Rocketlauncher which launches an Emulator the overlay is blocked.  Now, this DOES NOT APPLY to launching a steam game with RL, because Steam games talk to steam directly, this ONLY APPLIES to RocketLauncher being launched by steam.

Edited by Nielk1

1 hour ago, Nielk1 said:

It has never worked for me or several other people.  Every time Steam.exe launches Rocketlauncher which launches an Emulator the overlay is blocked.  Now, this DOES NOT APPLY to launching a steam game with RL, because Steam games talk to steam directly, this ONLY APPLIES to RocketLauncher being launched by steam.

Ahhh now that makes more a lot more sense to me, thanks for clearing that up. Ok i will take a look at it myself and see i can figure out what steam doesn't like, and maybe can come up with a fix.  scratch that, unless steam knows what you run it will not work, only way i can think of is make the overlay global.

But yeah you guys know far more than i do, so i will just bow out quietly,

Edited by MadK9