LaunchBox Community Forums

No Filler Mame Rom Set Version 2

Lordmonkus

Well the non-merged makes more sense when thinking purely about simplicity as the zips have everything you need. However I honestly have no idea how many people actually use those Vs the smaller sets. I would imagine a lot of people simply choose the smaller sets when downloading, but I have absolutely zero data to back that assumption up.

Yeah I would imagine a lot of people avoid the Non Merged because of the size of the download. This is part of the reason I wanted to get this discussion started so early, I want to get as many people viewing this and giving their opinions as possible.

I personally like the idea of the Non Merged set because it makes it much easier to add games to it if needed without worrying about bios dependencies  but that initial download size is sure to be a turn off for most people.

You already know my vote. But then I'm fairly lucky. While not blazingly fast my internet is reasonable (27.5Mbit or so) and no usage caps. Sure it takes a long time to download but its a one time thing then it can last you until something happens with mame that compels you to upgrade, which may never even happen. So even if it did take a day or two, is that really such a huge deal in the long term? It's not like you can't do other things on the PC at the same time. I like that Non-Merged are pretty much impossible to accidentally screw up and I just like that they behave more like your standard roms on other systems.

Edited by spectral

I just got word from Jason that the plan for the Merged set support is to allow for easily selecting which rom is loaded by default so that makes the Merged set a little more attractive. The only extra work would be the actual "bios" files, I wouldn't have to worry about the individual region rom and the download size would be good.

• Like 1

Merged is the absolute best because it lowers the archive count and keeps clones nicely separated in sub folders.

If you guys want to change the format of your set you know you can use ClrMAMEPro to rebuild from merged/split/non-merged into an empty destination directory rather than downloading it all over again?

Jason supporting Merged is great news. I would like to see a "launch clone" sub-menu after picking a parent in big box so I can have complete control over what game I actually play. I shouldn't have to worry about what exactly is imported or be constantly changing that up if my playing desires are different from night to night.

Parent sets on the game listing are good enough then just keep a clone option hidden away in sub menu and that would be a million times better than the way LB handles MAME sets currently.

T7Z.thumb.jpg.19e098be102f67276f93e0bb612678f4.jpg

4 minutes ago, Replay said:

I would like to see a "launch clone" sub-menu after picking a parent in big box so I can have complete control over what game I actually play. I shouldn't have to worry about what exactly is imported or be constantly changing that up if my playing desires are different from night to night.

That is the plan as far as I am aware of.

4 minutes ago, Replay said:

If you guys want to change the format of your set you know you can use ClrMAMEPro to rebuild from merged/split/non-merged into an empty destination directory rather than downloading it all over again?

CLRMamePro is a good tool but very awkward to learn how to use and remember how to use it after a few months of not using it.

Thanks for the input on which set to use, I will be taking opinions for a while before I make my final decision and do the batch file.

It's certainly more doable than something like Tempest, Arkanoid or games like Forgotten Worlds or Ikari Warriors when using a 6 button layout arcade stick. Just map left, down and right on the bottom 3 buttons and up to the top middle button. Definitely not as ideal as a proper twin stick setup or a gamepad but it works well enough once you train your fingers for it.