LaunchBox Community Forums

Steam games for Arcade Cabinet

twobucks

I am looking for recommendations on steam games that work well on an arcade cabinet setup using Bigbox and a keyboard emulator(IPAC).  I have two 8 way sticks each having six buttons, plus a trackball, admin buttons, and aimtrak guns.  It just seems so many new games have issues with controls being mapped to keyboards (especially with two players) so i am looking for newer easy to setup fighters, side scrolling, shooters that might be really fun to complement the massive amount of arcade roms i already have setup and working. 

I am open to suggestions on games as long as they would play well on an arcade cabinet without analog joysticks. The games I am looking to play would ideally meet the following:

1.two player games on the steam platform that can be played simultaneously without splitting the screen.

2.doesnt require a mouse in game or in menus. (I do have a trackball but no left and right mouse click buttons)

3. Can launch right into the game from bigbox and navigate using my arcade controls.

4. Fun to play arcade style games like brawlers, shooters, side strollers, etc that dont require you to grind it out to unlock extras.

• 1 month later...

I am in the same boat, looking for Steam games that work with  2-players on the same keyboard... which is good for Arcade Cabinet control panels that emulate keyboards (ipad encoders, etc.).

So far I can confirm:

• "Raiden III Digital Edition"
  • "Ultra Street Fighter IV"

Some of the Steam games I have in my Arcade Cab are:

Castle Crashers

Injustice

Mortal Kombat X

Street Fighter V

Fight N Rage

99Vidas

Jamestown

Nidhogg

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3

Some of those games I needed to use Virtual Joy with x360ce to get them to work with my IPAC control board.

11 hours ago, madpossum said:

Some of those games I needed to use Virtual Joy with x360ce to get them to work with my IPAC control board.

@madpossum Can you provide a link to "Virtual Joy"?  Doing a broad search for that turns up a lot of stuff.

Also, "x360ce" is the TocaEdit Xbox 360 Controller Emulator?

Can I ask why you need both programs?  Wouldn't a program that does keyboard to gamepad emulator be enough?

Thanks for the info.  I have been struggling with my IPAC control board (keyboard input-only) to play Steam games that don't let you customize keys, or require a game pad.

On 6/7/2018 at 9:09 AM, HapHzrd said:

@madpossum Can you provide a link to "Virtual Joy"?  Doing a broad search for that turns up a lot of stuff.

Also, "x360ce" is the TocaEdit Xbox 360 Controller Emulator?

Can I ask why you need both programs?  Wouldn't a program that does keyboard to gamepad emulator be enough?

Thanks for the info.  I have been struggling with my IPAC control board (keyboard input-only) to play Steam games that don't let you customize keys, or require a game pad.

You need both programs because x360ce only works with other joysticks. Here's a link to another thread about setting it up on these forums :

It's a royal pain for a lot of games but sweet once you get it  working to be able to play those games on a cab.

So I got tired of using hardware emulators and keyboard remappers and since “most” emulators take xInput natively, I went the physical route and rewired a cheap usb controller for my arcade sticks. Not the easiest thing in the world to do, but it worked!

9A64462E-87EB-4F0A-9B1E-6CE5806020AB.thumb.jpeg.bf90f41b5f853e85966be5dbb51e1578.jpeg

Edited by natemac00

10 minutes ago, natemac00 said:

I had no idea IPAC made something called a PACLink that does the same thing... that’s what I would do.

Beware, it's not compatible with the IPAC UIO.

I tried vjoy alone and X360ce...too much hassle. UCR is lot of better. You can create Virtual Xbox 360 joypads.

Edited by Fablog

On 6/6/2018 at 6:07 PM, madpossum said:

Some of the Steam games I have in my Arcade Cab are:

Castle Crashers

Injustice

Mortal Kombat X

Street Fighter V

Fight N Rage

99Vidas

Jamestown

Nidhogg

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3

Hey man,

I have a question about a few of these games. I have street-fighter 4 on my current arcade and as good as it looks, you can't have both players assigned to the same keyboard. 

Have you found a way around this issue? Have you encountered the issue yourself? 

In regards to the other fighters you have on this list, how many of them have that same issue i have mentioned ( if you have encountered them  anyway )? 

Thanks! 

• 1 year later...

I’ve been running into controller issues with steam as well, but ipac2 Now has firmware that supports custom keyboard setup as well as xinput controllers. Once you get it working properly you can hold a couple button to go back and forth between the two. There is also a shift key for additional controls. I set my cabinet up with a latching push button so I can switch to a second keyboard setup.

21 hours ago, mtcarcus said:

ipac2 Now has firmware that supports custom keyboard setup as well as xinput controllers.

Once you get it working properly you can hold a couple button to go back and forth between the two. There is also a shift key for additional controls.

@mtcarcus

Whoa... I did not know this.  This would solve all my problems.  Thanks for the info!

It looks like the firmware is in BETA and it is only for I-PAC2 board?  I mostly use the IPAC ultimate I/O.  I am hoping the final release of the firmware supports more.

Anyhow, again thanks for the info.

Edited by HapHzrd