LaunchBox Community Forums

rocketlauncher integration.. progress ?

Klopjero

This is amazing news! I love the features brought by rocketlauncher, but I have found it to be needlessly complicated and very buggy. Not to mention the support community is nearly non existent, save for 3 lonely YouTube channels, unlike the robust launchbox community.

To be able to scrap rocket launcher altogether would be great.

Hopefully the new feature would be compatible with rocket launcher loading screens, so that many of us won't have wasted hours on creating custom loading screens, fingers crossed.

Well with the loading screens I have no clue if they will be anything like RL or include any artwork just there will be a loading screens so don't take it to be anymore than that because I have no knowledge beyond that both of those items were voted high enough on the poll but they may not be exactly what they are in RL

I think people waiting for LaunchBox to replace Rocket Launcher's features will be disappointed.  Sure it'll be nice for non-RL users to have some of these additions.  But I doubt LaunchBox will ever do:  pause you can customize, loading screens, key-mapping by emulator/platform/game & multiple bezel controls.  I love LaunchBox and hope I'm wrong!  But I also don't mind using LaunchBox + RL.

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to add fade in loading screens tbh...I converted a ton of my fades to mp4 for use in the ODROID ORA image release,and if launchbox wanted to do so,it could also use mp4's and avoid all the complicated artwork stuff. Pause would be a whole different story,but,I did see someone working on a Pause menu of sorts that looks very promising.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2018 at 7:24 AM, RetroHumanoid said:

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to add fade in loading screens tbh...I converted a ton of my fades to mp4 for use in the ODROID ORA image release,and if launchbox wanted to do so,it could also use mp4's and avoid all the complicated artwork stuff. Pause would be a whole different story,but,I did see someone working on a Pause menu of sorts that looks very promising.

that wouldnt be the most elegant solution now would it.

seriously ? I don't want this to turn into an argument. but.. mp4's are a prerendered file fortmat with a set play time... it's not dynamic.. it will not play longer if the loading takes longer. Rocketlauncher ..takes a percentage of extraction time and fills up the bar accordingly..when it's done unpacking and loading it will report that the loading is complete, the loading bar is 100%.. in my world I call that elegant.

Not trying to argue...no reason to get upset really....I am completely aware of how RocketLauncher works,trust me...but,as for implementing it's major features into Launchbox,it's easier said than done,and probably will never be done. Using MP4 is an easy way to do it,and it can even be a 2 second video that loops until the game loads...true it's not exactly like RL,and it certainly isn't perfect...but,it's certainly more elegant than a popup box and a black screen. There could also be an option to just not use it,if one chooses not to. Just like how the current Loading popup can be disabled.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2018 at 6:02 PM, damageinc86 said:

Wow, that is good news.  The only thing left after that, would be the keymapping feature that RL has, which loads profiles (joy2key) per-game.  Then RL would be close to obsolete.

THIS!

This would be so important for the likes of MS-DOS games and Windows PC games which have non-standard, higgledy-piggledy controls and a DOSBOX mapper which looks damn complicated.

RocketLauncher does this and there was also a plugin for another front-end which did the same sort of thing. Not wishing to advertise another front-end here at all but I feel I should post this link to illustrate what I'm talking about: https://www.gameex.info/forums/topic/15924-plugin-xpadder-plugin/

Then I could do away with the 500+ batch files I've created for playing MS-DOS games :-)

Edited by JamesBond@ge