LaunchBox Community Forums

I was forced to update to Launchbox.next. Old version is gone now. New Launchbox is a broken mess.

beethy

Yes, Okay and allrighty.

I'm not trying to make a rant or anything about the new version, And the ui looks way! better than the old one.

My point was just that i didn't have any issues on the old version and neither did i do anything else than just updating to the new one(I didnt change any settings on my laptop).

I also experienced something a little weird after the update, After the update had completed Launchbox turned into this.

Capture0.thumb.PNG.d9aa27338d2bb770934d5a6cd2e31e5b.PNGHad to double click on it to get the launchbox UI back (thought it broke), Sometimes updates do go wrong.

Cheers :)

1 minute ago, EmuNOOB said:

Yes, Okay and allrighty.

I'm not trying to make a rant or anything about the new version, And the ui looks way! better than the old one.

My point was just that i didn't have any issues on the old version and neither did i do anything else than just updating to the new one(I didnt change any settings on my laptop).

I also experienced something a little weird after the update, After the update had completed Launchbox turned into this.

Capture0.thumb.PNG.d9aa27338d2bb770934d5a6cd2e31e5b.PNGHad to double click on it to get the launchbox UI back (thought it broke), Sometimes updates do go wrong.

Cheers :)

Actually that issue has been seen by some other users as well and is being investigated, it does seem to be a uncommon issue, but i have personally seen it myself as well. 

2 hours ago, MadK9 said:

When you load LaunchBox Next, check for a little bar right at the very top of the screen, if you see it there, then LB is still caching your Images, this takes time, once its done then LB will be faster than your older one. When you built your current LB version, you didn't add everything all at once, but in pieces. With the new LB its got everything all at once and as there is a new Cache folder for the LB and BB, every game you have needs its images fully cached, this was the same in the old LB, but as i said it wasn't all at once.

I didn't notice this bar but I know all my images hadn't had time to cache. Do you think me trying to do things while the images are still caching could be the cause of my out of memory issues?

I'm going to open it when I get home from work and then just leave it do its thing

Anyone who still wants a download for the old version can email us at support@unbrokensoftware.com and we'll get it for you. Otherwise, most likely it's already available in your LaunchBox\Updates folder.

The performance issues don't make a lot of sense to me, as like others have stated, performance is exponentially higher in .Next than it was in OG LB, pretty much across the board. So if performance is worse, then most likely there's something odd going on with the machine. One thing to check is any anti-virus or anti-malware programs as we've routinely seen some crappy ones cause issues (most notably as of late Malwarebytes). As always, we highly recommend sticking with Microsoft's Windows Defender as it does a plenty good enough job without being ridiculously intrusive.

There's also significantly less RAM usage, because the entire RAM Cache is no longer needed. For those running out of memory, please let us know how much RAM you have in your system, and if you can open Task Manager to figure out how much RAM LaunchBox is using, that would be great.

LaunchBox.Next has been battle-tested very well at this point. Of the last 5 users that I've helped troubleshoot stability or performance issues with it, all 5 of their issues were due to things like corrupted Windows installations and conflicting/intrusive anti-virus applications, so I suspect something like that is probably going on here as well.

I will also note that the previous official version of LaunchBox did state, in the opening window of all things, that the next version would be completely getting rid of the OG interface. So really there should not have been any confusion, even if you don't follow us very closely.

I will look into these issues:

6 hours ago, beethy said:

- Upon closing a game, controller input does nothing. I have to use my mouse to click on something which restores it. 
- When I view an image full screen and exit out of it, the image sometimes stays open in the background. I have to click on the Launchbox icon in the taskbar to manually close it. 

- Hitting right at the far right game does nothing. Old launchbox would go to the next row. 

Thanks all.

• Like 1

I've seen that bar and it's moving very slowly but it's there. 

I only have a small pc box which only has about 2gb ram. While it's caching launchbox is using between 250 and 350mb  which does rise when I select a game. I can see performance increasing as the bar gets longer so I'm just gonna wait for it to finish  and then I think I'll be fine. 

I was pretty sure my out of memory errors were local to my device but when I was reading it used less ram I wasn't sure.

2 minutes ago, foleyjo said:

I've seen that bar and it's moving very slowly but it's there. 

I only have a small pc box which only has about 2gb ram. While it's caching launchbox is using between 250 and 350mb  which does rise when I select a game. I can see performance increasing as the bar gets longer so I'm just gonna wait for it to finish  and then I think I'll be fine. 

I was pretty sure my out of memory errors were local to my device but when I was reading it used less ram I wasn't sure.

Okay, yeah, 2 gigs of RAM just isn't going to cut it. I'm surprised it's working at all, to be honest. I hope you can get it working, but I'm doubtful with that amount of RAM.

Just now, DOS76 said:

Good to know I guess I better turn off the updates on both my Windows tablets (1 and 2 GB) they work fine with OG once you turn the RAM cache all the way down

Yeah, at some point, in order to get the best performance for users with typical machines, the bare minimum requirements are just going to have to increase.

2 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

It may work with some trial and error on 2 gigs of RAM, but that's not something we can support at this point.

Yeah im surprised that works at all, win 10 routinely uses around 4GB of ram on my system while just idling on the desktop, so trying to run programs on top of that with only 2GB available is a tough ask.

Looks like I'm going to have to revert back. My system is just too underpowered. Bit disappointing especially as .next is supposed to be less resource heavy.

With the old gui I didn't get any out of memory errors even when I had videos playing.

I admit it isn't perfect and sometimes I have to wait a few seconds when selecting games for everything to catch up but it does the job that I want.

I noticed when images had cached it actually used more ram not less.

I'm sure there was an early beta version of .next that worked for me without out of memory issues. It was when it was still missing features such as the ability to play music. I did like it but wanted my videos and music to play automatically when I selected games which is why I stopped using it.

**UPDATE**

Before installing I downloaded one of the 2 themes (lbplex I think it's called) in the download section. Using the downloaded theme I'm not getting any out of memory errors. 

Edited by foleyjo

10 hours ago, neil9000 said:

I dont know what to tell you both, my performance is just fine, and i have lower specs than you both and have a bigger library of around 15,000 games, here is a quick video i just made showing my performance...

@neil9000, Isn't that the old LB? Your spacing on the platform list, the black background text for the rom names, etc. is nothing like mine unless you are using the new them that was posted. Is the yellow box around the game when you hover over it part of the theme?

Just now, FlightRisk said:
10 hours ago, neil9000 said:

I dont know what to tell you both, my performance is just fine, and i have lower specs than you both and have a bigger library of around 15,000 games, here is a quick video i just made showing my performance...

@neil9000, Isn't that the old LB? Your spacing on the platform list, the black background text for the rom names, etc. is nothing like mine unless you are using the new them that was posted. Is the yellow box around the game when you hover over it part of the theme?

Yes its Grila's new plex theme. It is most definitely not the old interface. 

Just now, FlightRisk said:

Something new, something old :) It is a nice theme. Interesting if that affects performance one way or the other. But you had said before you had no issues.

Yeah i have not noticed any change in performance with either the default or this theme, they are both smooth as butter for me. Also thanks for reminding me about the game name shadows, i have just turned that off as its not needed with that theme. :) 

• 1 year later...

how can i have the old version of my LB?I encounter error after updating like some games wont run and and sometimes slow.now i uninstall my LB and dowload the free verion but encounter other like"error in attempting download updated metadama in LB databes" and othe ir one is ROM file is not a gcm/iso file.