LaunchBox Community Forums

I was forced to update to Launchbox.next. Old version is gone now. New Launchbox is a broken mess.

beethy

As a paid user, this is incredibly frustrating. 

Big Box has never worked properly for me probably because I have a lot of games indexed. So my only option is the standard Launchbox mode. 

Controller automation is completely broken at this point. Whenever I exit a game, I have to use my mouse to restore control of Launchbox. My controller is initially completely unresponsive after closing a game. 

Why weren't we given the option of continuing to use the old version? It worked completely fine. 
Years ago lots of people asked for a controller hotkey for a random game selection, which still hasn't been added. I have doubts this will be fixed any time soon either. 

I'm pretty unhappy with the developer right now. Will be seeking a refund if this issue isn't fixed. 

1 minute ago, beethy said:

As a paid user, this is incredibly frustrating. 

Big Box has never worked properly for me probably because I have a lot of games indexed. So my only option is the standard Launchbox mode. 

Controller automation is completely broken at this point. Whenever I exit a game, I have to use my mouse to restore control of Launchbox. My controller is initially completely unresponsive after closing a game. 

Why weren't we given the option of continuing to use the old version? It worked completely fine. 
Years ago lots of people asked for a controller hotkey for a random game selection, which still hasn't been added. I have doubts this will be fixed any time soon either. 

I'm pretty unhappy with the developer right now. Will be seeking a refund if this issue isn't fixed. 

Happy to give you a refund; just email us at support@unbrokensoftware.com. You were given the option to use the old version as long as you wished, but you had automatic updates enabled in the options. It's easy to turn off. I can also provide you with a link to the old version via the support email and you can downgrade if that's what you want.

I wasn't aware of the controller issues you mention here but I will take a look.

I will say that the number of people who have asked for a controller hotkey for random game selection is probably less than 10. Considering the number of users we have, there are many, many, many more common requests.

7 minutes ago, beethy said:

That sounds like a issue on your end, i dont ever recall anyone else mentioning that issue before and i certainly have never seen it myself.

10 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Happy to give you a refund; just email us at support@unbrokensoftware.com. You were given the option to use the old version as long as you wished, but you had automatic updates enabled in the options. It's easy to turn off. I can also provide you with a link to the old version via the support email and you can downgrade if that's what you want.

I wasn't aware of the controller issues you mention here but I will take a look.

I will say that the number of people who have asked for a controller hotkey for random game selection is probably less than 10. Considering the number of users we have, there are many, many, many more common requests.

H i Jason.

I think the new version looks good but i'm having a few bugs with it and the game cover icons in the UI are pretty slow to load.

I would love to make use of the option to downgrade again, And this time i will make sure the automatic update function is turned off.

Where can i give you my email?.

Regards and have a nice day.

23 minutes ago, EmuNOOB said:

I think the new version looks good but i'm having a few bugs with it and the game cover icons in the UI are pretty slow to load.

Are you sure it is not just still caching images ? I find once the images are all cached in I can switch platforms and scroll through my games and my images are either instant loading or very quick to load, much faster than the old LB.

Edit:
I would also like to add the Launchbox Next has been in beta testing for several months now by myself, the other mods and many users and we all have found the new Launchbox Next to be superior in every way. It is much faster, is now fully customizable in looks and will make future development of features much easier and faster to come.

10 hours ago, beethy said:

I just tested this and controller automation in Launchbox mode is working perfectly for me. I can navigate and launch games using my controller, I can close them out with my controller and I can regain full control over Launchbox with my controller though I do have to press the Square button on my PS controller to regain navigation control.

10 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

I just tested this and controller automation in Launchbox mode is working perfectly for me. I can navigate and launch games using my controller, I can close them out with my controller and I can regain full control over Launchbox with my controller though I do have to press the Square button on my PS controller to regain navigation control.

Cheers, I'll give this a try. 

This is a minor nitpick but I have a pretty wide screen which means my rows of games are about 8 wide and 2 tall. When I hit right at the end of a row in the old launchbox, it goes to the next game on the bottom left row. The new Launchbox doesn't do that. I have to press left 8 times and down once instead of just right once like I could in the old version. 

33 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Are you sure it is not just still caching images ? I find once the images are all cached in I can switch platforms and scroll through my games and my images are either instant loading or very quick to load, much faster than the old LB.

Edit:
I would also like to add the Launchbox Next has been in beta testing for several months now by myself, the other mods and many users and we all have found the new Launchbox Next to be superior in every way. It is much faster, is now fully customizable in looks and will make future development of features much easier and faster to come.

I find the new version to be a bit more resource heavy than the previous, And from my view it takes a little longer to load the images if i scroll through them. The previous version loaded them almost instantly (sorry, But that's what i'm experiencing). Im also having a problem with the game details icon in which i'm only able to close if i turn the side bar off in the view menu.

Edited by EmuNOOB

37 minutes ago, EmuNOOB said:

I find the new version to be a bit more resource heavy than the previous, And from my view it takes a little longer to load the images if i scroll through them. The previous version loaded them almost instantly (sorry, But that's what i'm experiencing). Im also having a problem with the game details icon in which i'm only able to close if i turn the side bar off in the view menu.

I'm experiencing the same problems. These are my specs: 
i7 2600k 

24gb DDR3 Ram 
GTX 1070

I think it's because I have around 5000 games indexed through launchbox. However the old version has no slowdown or issues. The new one is slower and has crashed several times. 

I don't mind that there's a new version of Launchbox that's being focused on in regards to development. It's just very frustrating that there was absolutely no warning that the new update would remove the older version too. 

3 minutes ago, beethy said:

I'm experiencing the same problems. These are my specs: 
i7 2600k 

24gb DDR3 Ram 
GTX 1070

I think it's because I have around 5000 games indexed through launchbox. However the old version has no slowdown or issues. The new one is slower and has crashed several times. 

I don't mind that there's a new version of Launchbox that's being focused on in regards to development. It's just very frustrating that there was absolutely no warning that the new update would remove the older version too. 

Those specs should run Launchbox just fine.

These are my specs

i5 3570k

16GB DDR3

GTX 1060 6GB

I have around 15,000 games in my Launchbox and performance is great for me, no issues at all.

On the contrary, the fact that .Next would be replacing the old interface has been communicated through official emails going back a few months. I have a mail dated June 8th relating to the release of LaunchBox 8.3 that states that clearly and it has been talked about on the forums since.

6 minutes ago, Charco said:

On the contrary, the fact that .Next would be replacing the old interface has been communicated through official emails going back a few months. I have a mail dated June 8th relating to the release of LaunchBox 8.3 that states that clearly and it has been talked about on the forums since.

It should have been clear that the new install would remove the old version of Launchbox though. It wasn't. It just looked like any other update. 
Not everyone wants to switch over because the new version clearly has issues for some people. 

3 minutes ago, beethy said:

It should have been clear that the new install would remove the old version of Launchbox though. It wasn't. It just looked like any other update. 
Not everyone wants to switch over because the new version clearly has issues for some people. 

You probably have the old installers in your Launchbox/Updates folder, just run one over the top of your current install. You will of course lose all the excellent new features added. This issue seems to be strictly tied to you though. As @Lordmonkus said above the new interface has been in beta for months at this point and know-one ever came forward in the beta phase with issues you are describing, in fact you are the only person to mention these issues since the official release was launched also. The new interface is a lot faster than the old one, so the fact that you are saying it is much slower just makes no sense to me at all, all the feedback we have had during the beta period was positive, of course there were issues here and there with bugs and crashes and such, but of course that is why we beta test, i don't recall anyone ever say it was slower than the old interface. For me though personalty i have been using the new interface as my primary driver for months now as it is just a quicker more attractive interface in my opinion.

Awesome, that's solved my problems. I'll stay on 8.5 until Launchbox.next is more stable and doesn't have the many problems it currently has. 
Here are the main issues I experienced so far. 

- Upon closing a game, controller input does nothing. I have to use my mouse to click on something which restores it. 
- When I view an image full screen and exit out of it, the image sometimes stays open in the background. I have to click on the Launchbox icon in the taskbar to manually close it. 

- Hitting right at the far right game does nothing. Old launchbox would go to the next row. 

Once these issues have been resolved I'll gladly switch over, but for now I'll stick with 8.5. 

1 hour ago, neil9000 said:

Those specs should run Launchbox just fine.

These are my specs

i5 3570k

16GB DDR3

GTX 1060 6GB

I have around 15,000 games in my Launchbox and performance is great for me, no issues at all.

And my specs are i7 6700K

64GB of ram

2x gtx 980 in sli.

I have around 4000 games i n total.

When i scroll through my collection about 4-6 images are not finished loading(It takes a few seconds) of about 21 in total.

Are any of you using nvidias control panel to manage Launchbox, And does it have any effect?

Edited by EmuNOOB

When you load LaunchBox Next, check for a little bar right at the very top of the screen, if you see it there, then LB is still caching your Images, this takes time, once its done then LB will be faster than your older one. When you built your current LB version, you didn't add everything all at once, but in pieces. With the new LB its got everything all at once and as there is a new Cache folder for the LB and BB, every game you have needs its images fully cached, this was the same in the old LB, but as i said it wasn't all at once.

I for one was not a .Next fan at the start, but now i would never go back to the old one, this version is far superior in every way. Some of what has already said, seems to be issue more at your end than .Next on a whole. I suggest reading the Beta threads and joining the Discord server, theres plenty of help on there from a wide variety of people.

• Like 2