LaunchBox Community Forums

Bezel Project! A custom bezel for every ROM!

CoinJunkie

I fixed it! I'm sure there is an easier config, but this works now. So the default .lay file is configured as:

<!-- bezel.lay -->
<mamelayout version="2">
<element name="bezel">
<image file="bezel.png" />
</element>
<view name="Bezel Artwork">
<bezel element="bezel">
<bounds left="0" top="0" right="16" bottom="9" />
</bezel>
<screen index="0">
<bounds left="2" top="0" right="14" bottom="9" />
</screen>
</view>
</mamelayout>

However, when checking other bezels, I found Mr Retrolust .lay file was different for Darius 1 and 2.  It needed some tweaking since his bezel is oriented differently, but I now have the following and everything displays correctly:

<!-- darius.lay -->

<mamelayout version="2">
    <element name="bezel">
        <image file="bezel.png" />
    </element>
    <view name="Upright_Artwork">
        <bezel element="bezel">
            <bounds x="0" y="0" width="3840" height="2160" />
        </bezel>
        <screen index="0">
            <bounds x="0" y="600" width="1280" height="960" />
        </screen>
        <screen index="1">
            <bounds x="1280" y="600" width="1280" height="960" />
        </screen>
        <screen index="2">
            <bounds x="2560" y="600" width="1280" height="960" />
        </screen>
    </view>
</mamelayout>

<!--

- Artwork type: Bezel, Marquee
- Scanned bezel provided by Eric Jacobson, http://www.arcadeflyers.com
- Converted for MAME by Eric Jacobson; adjusted by Mr. Do
- Lay file by Mr. Do
- Lights Out Bezel: Mr. RetroLust

-->

1117900423_Pic1.jpg

1518859834_Pic2.jpg

Edited by myric227

These are the artwork zips I use for Darius and Darius II in MAME.
I can't distribute BezelProject bezels so as posted these zips only contain a lay file and you'll need to add the bezels yourself.
Drop the darius bezel png into darius.zip and darius2 bezel png into darius2.zip.

By the way I see 2 vertical black lines in your screenshots but maybe that's just the camera.

Darius grab.png

Darius II grab.png

darius.zip darius2.zip

• Thanks 1

@spycat

Thank you.  Those are much cleaner and work great.  Not sure why the Bezel Project doesn't install them like that.  The black lines are just from the geom filter that curves the screen.  I need to edit it eventually, or use another filter, as I hate the curve, especially since I've never seen a crt monitor curve the screen like that in the arcade.

Edited by myric227

• 2 months later...

Most of my installation went smoothly. I'm having trouble with DS and 3DS. Both packs seems to stop around halfway, leaving me with missing bezels for half the games of each. I've tried downloading these packs multiple times over multiple days. I've tried downloading the .zip that was linked, but that file is truncated as well. Are there full sets for the DS and 3DS that I can download? If necessary, I'll write the configurations myself, but I hate having those two sets being incomplete. Also, if anybody knows a place to get PS2 bezels, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

11 hours ago, Syllius said:

Most of my installation went smoothly. I'm having trouble with DS and 3DS. Both packs seems to stop around halfway, leaving me with missing bezels for half the games of each. I've tried downloading these packs multiple times over multiple days. I've tried downloading the .zip that was linked, but that file is truncated as well. Are there full sets for the DS and 3DS that I can download? If necessary, I'll write the configurations myself, but I hate having those two sets being incomplete. Also, if anybody knows a place to get PS2 bezels, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

I am a member of the Project team and I am at a loss for your difficulty. The archives for DS and 3DS are some of the largest we have, so make sure you have plenty of space disk space in your %temp% area and the final installation destination.

I can install using the Windows app we have, and can manually download the zip files for both those systems without issue. The zips test out as ok, and I have verified the output as correct.

Note: we have not started work on 'Themed' bezels for PS2 yet, but the 'System Art' set for PS2 is ready for use.

3 hours ago, Syllius said:

Thank you for the quick response! Would 20gb be sufficient? That's the only last step I can think of. I've uninstalled them using the windows app and reinstalled them, each time receiving the same error. 

You didn't say which area has the 20GB free, %temp%, or the retroarch install directory, or are those both on the same drive?

20GB should be enough, but just barely.

• 2 weeks later...

Trying out the bezel project with a fresh install of Launchbox and imported the Sega 32X set. RetroArch is installed by LaunchBox and uses the PicoDrive core. All bezels show but for some games they overlap the game. For example the overlay for "Blackthorne (USA)" is correctly aligned but "Chaotix ~ Knuckles' Chaotix (Japan, USA).png" is not. I've read through the thread and have everything as it should I believe. Resolution is 16:9 and aspect ratio in RetroArch shows as provided by core. So then I compared the bezels and screen portion is different in size. If I use Blackthorne's bezel for Chaotix it aligns properly. I've tried setting aspect ratio for the core to 4:3 and that solved it for Chaotix. But then Blackthorne shows some black space between game output and bezel on the sides. Are there just incorrect bezels in the set or am I completely missing something? 😇

Chaotix ~ Knuckles' Chaotix (Japan, USA).png

Blackthorne (USA).png

Edited by X1pheR

13 hours ago, dragon57 said:

It appears the Themed bezels for 32X were created some time ago before we had the settings we use now. You can manually change the viewport size and save a game override. I will add a request to rework the 32X bezels to a 4:3 aspect ratio.

The 'Themed' bezel pack for Sega 32X has been reworked to match 4:3 aspect ratio.

The bezels for Retroarch cut off quite a chunk of the visible play-area. It there an option in Retroarch to just push the bezels one layer behind the video to ensure no video gets overruled by the bezels? I know I can resize the scaling but that would drag the bezels out of the edges hiding some of the artwork.

An other option would be to cut off the TV-rounding-portion of each artwork - is there an easy way to to this via batch-file to get those in a clean 4:3 format?

6 hours ago, totoro said:

The bezels for Retroarch cut off quite a chunk of the visible play-area. It there an option in Retroarch to just push the bezels one layer behind the video to ensure no video gets overruled by the bezels? I know I can resize the scaling but that would drag the bezels out of the edges hiding some of the artwork.

An other option would be to cut off the TV-rounding-portion of each artwork - is there an easy way to to this via batch-file to get those in a clean 4:3 format?

Yes, you can batch process the png files to remove the TV surround. We have a document in our Facebook Group that details the process.

1 hour ago, totoro said:

Cool, this would be exactly what I'm looking for. Any chance to share this here without entering the Facebook group?

For a tutorial on removing the TV surround graphic from the bezel files, please download the archive
from the following link, extract the contents, then follow the steps in the PDF file.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16OpfwC_4dEds0LhRYBmE5SeQ7xUQxITT/view?usp=sharing

• Like 1
  • Unusual Gem 1