LaunchBox Community Forums

Bezel Project! A custom bezel for every ROM!

CoinJunkie

1 hour ago, slickrickstyles said:

so I have a native mame (.165) install with a full romset and a bezel pack from emumovies' ftp that works fine under my artwork folder (just not the greatest quality and no structure between roms. Allin zip files) but once the bezel project is installed (these are moved to the bpsave folder) no game will launch. Mame just hangs with a black screen. If the artwork folder is renamed all games work again. Any suggestions please?

Not sure what the problem may be. I can install to my MAME 0.165 version here and display bezels from the bezel pack with no issues. Here is Space Invaders running under 0.165.

Standard debugging procedure for bezels is to start with a fresh MAME directory and make one change at a time until you identify the issue.

What I would do is start with a fresh install of 0.165 and start there. I would then copy over only a handful of roms and the artwork directory from the original bezel project install to the new directory structure. Test running those roms and see what happens.

image.thumb.png.7bf34032584b978289bb21f9e7498d8d.png

6 hours ago, slickrickstyles said:

so I have a native mame (.165) install with a full romset and a bezel pack from emumovies' ftp that works fine under my artwork folder (just not the greatest quality and no structure between roms. Allin zip files) but once the bezel project is installed (these are moved to the bpsave folder) no game will launch. Mame just hangs with a black screen. If the artwork folder is renamed all games work again. Any suggestions please?

Your post pushed me to update my bezel set, I think there is a bug in the latest Bezel Project installer - it is generating invalid LAY files. I'm not sure if this related to your problem.

Try to do a find and replace of your LAY files for Width = Right and Height = Bottom in the LAY files.

Edited by coolspot

1 hour ago, coolspot said:

Your post pushed me to update my bezel set, I think there is a bug in the latest Bezel Project installer - it is generating invalid LAY files. I'm not sure if this related to your problem.

Try to do a find and replace of your LAY files for Width = Right and Height = Bottom in the LAY files.

Just tested this with the WrestleFest entry and you hit the nail on the head...The screen index section still had width and height and after making the changes it booted right up. Unfortunately there is no way i am going to go make that edit on every single one of these lol 

1 minute ago, slickrickstyles said:

Just tested this with the WrestleFest entry and you hit the nail on the head...The screen index section still had width and height and after making the changes it booted right up. Unfortunately there is no way i am going to go make that edit on every single one of these lol 

Download NotePad++ and do a "find and replace" - it will search through all *.lay files in a folder and replace the wrong attributes.

30 minutes ago, coolspot said:

Download NotePad++ and do a "find and replace" - it will search through all *.lay files in a folder and replace the wrong attributes.

Awesome this worked perfectly...I am having to change some of the attributes to have the display actually take up the whole faux monitor like right=12 to right=14 but with this method it's so much quicker. Thanks very much!

Edited by slickrickstyles
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, slickrickstyles said:

Awesome this worked perfectly...I am having to change some of the attributes to have the display actually take up the whole faux monitor like right=12 to right=14 but with this method it's so much quicker. Thanks very much!

Yes, you're right - I noticed the offsets in the LAY files have changed as well. The old April 2020 LAY files I had right=14, new ones got switched to an offset of 12 and 1/2 the emulated output gets cut off.

Hopefully it's a quick fix for @dragon57 and the Bezel Project team ?

Edited by coolspot

25 minutes ago, coolspot said:

Yes, you're right - I noticed the offsets in the LAY files have changed as well. The old April 2020 LAY files I had right=14, new ones got switched to an offset of 12 and 1/2 the emulated output gets cut off.

Hopefully it's a quick fix for @dragon57 and the Bezel Project team ?

A new version is up on Github, 1.1.12.1.

I rolled back the lay file changes I had made. Hopefully this gets things back on track. Thanks for reporting this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, slickrickstyles said:

Absolutely and amazing response time...Thanks for doing what you do! 

Really sorry for the mix-up in those Lay files. Just FYI, the app only supports normal 1 screen horizontal & vertical configurations now. I am working on enhancing logic to handle the 2, 3, and 4 screen games and outputting the appropriate Lay files.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, coolspot said:

Some games like Virtua Fighter 2 still don't have a bezel, I thought that the software supports creating a default bezel? Since my update, VF2 doesn't display a default bezel anymore?

Any idea how to enable the default bezel on MAME standalone? Thanks.

I would setup default horizontal and vertical ini files per info found here:

https://www.mameworld.info/mrdo/mame_artwork_generic.php

I just installed Bezel Project and selected all the cores under RetroArch. For the most part, it is working except the bezels do not show up if I try running MAME roms with the current MAME core. It will work with MAME 2003 but when I use the current MAME core, the bezels do not show up. Using MAME 2003 is alright sometimes except the problem is I am using a complete ROM set that is for .220 of MAME. So things like Dig Dug work with MAME 2003, but other ROMs will not unless I use the latest MAME libretro core. How do I get the bezels to show up with latest core?

EDIT: I will answer my own question! I got it to work by changing the following line in BezelProject.ini from:

mame=FB Alpha,FinalBurn Neo,MAME 2003 (0.78),MAME 2003-Plus,MAME 2010

...to:

mame=FB Alpha,FinalBurn Neo,MAME,MAME 2003 (0.78),MAME 2003-Plus,MAME 2010,MAME 2016

EDIT: Or not. I tried it and it still didn't work. Copying the folder contents of MAME 2010 to MAME does the trick, though! So I got what I needed but outside of the automation of the program.

Edited by Hifihedgehog
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am getting this to work, for the most part. I just am noticing a lot of inconsistencies in the naming of the ROMs vs what BP is looking for, even after I use the latest .dat file from No-Intro to verify/rename my roms.

For example, with TurboGrafx-16, when I load the .dat file in ROM center and load my roms, it claims they are 100% named correctly. No changes made. But when I look at the rom name it is different than what BP expects. Is this mismatch just an issue I need to manually fix across all my emulators? I thought the CFG files were 100% based on the No-Intro names for roms?

Here is an example from TG16:

Rom: Bomber Man (USA).pce

BP CFG file name: Bomberman (USA).cfg

RomCenter: ( you probably can't read it..but it is all green, no names need to be updated)image.thumb.png.b08cdf0574e89b73659508061ddaad87.png

I have this across all my emulators. 

So my second question is, has anyone found an easy(automated) way to update the BP cfg names based on the names in your actual ROM directory instead of the No-Intro dat file? 

Edited by CitznFish

@CitznFish, here is a bit of history that will hopefully be helpful.

At the time of creation, we try to use the most current no-intro dat file, if available. Having said that, the no-intro dat files aren't always going to match a set that was created some time ago because the No-Intro team make name changes, so the dat info evolves over time. What was correct 2-3 years ago may not be correct today. Also, the early sets were manually checked by a project member. Today, the names are checked by an app before release. Errors can creep in, but hopefully recent bezel packs have must closer naming than the early sets.

You can correct the naming two different ways. 1. Rename your roms to match our cfg file names, or, 2. Rename the cfg files to match your rom names using your utility of choice. Generally I would recommend #2 (rename the cfg under ...\retroarch\config only, you do not have to rename anything under ...\retroarch\overlays\GameBezels).

Finally, once the group members have made it to the end of our to-do list, the intent is to go back and update anything that needs it, including updating file names, if needed.

Edited by dragon57
Added info
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, dragon57 said:

@CitznFish, here is a bit of history that will hopefully be helpful.

At the time of creation, we try to use the most current no-intro dat file, if available. Having said that, the no-intro dat files aren't always going to match a set that was created some time ago because the No-Intro team make name changes, so the dat info evolves over time. What was correct 2-3 years ago may not be correct today. Also, the early sets were manually checked by a project member. Today, the names are checked by an app before release. Errors can creep in, but hopefully recent bezel packs have must closer naming than the early sets.

You can correct the naming two different ways. 1. Rename your roms to match our cfg file names, or, 2. Rename the cfg files to match your rom names using your utility of choice. Generally I would recommend #2 (rename the cfg under ...\retroarch\config only, you do not have to rename anything under ...\retroarch\overlays\GameBezels).

Finally, once the group members have made it to the end of our to-do list, the intent is to go back and update anything that needs it, including updating file names, if needed.

well that certainly answers all my questions, thank you. and thank you all for the dedication and hard work. I cannot imagine the hours spent on a project like this. 

It looks like I'll have to manually edit quite a few files to get bezels on everything, nbd. At least I know the answer now and it wasn't me doing something wrong.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/30/2018 at 10:48 AM, Reevesad said:

Hi Coinjunkie,

All uploaded onto Launchbox under the "Forums-Downloads-Platform-Platform media-Platform Bezels/Overlays" section.

Majority of which were from bezels found on the internet, some were reworked. Mainly the NeoGeo arcade ones (the ones with the red bezel and just the neo geo box cover). They were all pretty much the same to me, so I made bezels with just the box artwork. The bezels I had missing for other mame roms I made using box artwork, flyers, banners ect found on the internet.

Obviously, with some of the arcade games being made years ago+with Korean, Japanese, Chinese Games and clones, Theres not much artwork to be found so I did make 12 generic bezels (6 Horizontal 4:3 ratio and 6 Vertical 3:4 ratio) for missing artwork. These were made to just look like an arcade machine bezel within an actual arcade (see attached pics vertical and horizontal). 

The other two pics (Track n' Field) are to show the two versions of bezels that I made "clear glass" and "real glass" effect. The real glass effect gives it that original arcade CRT screen feel to it. 

Regards, Adam

real_glass.png

vert_real_glass.png

20180305_095505.jpg

20180305_095536.jpg

Hi. Have you got a direct link to these Bezzels? There are so many. 

thanks in advance. 

• 4 months later...

So I just came across this thread and downloaded all the sets from the Bezel Project and all is working. The one issue I am having is games in MAME that use overlays like warrior, warlords etc. When using these bezels the overlay is gone. Is there a a fix for this? I tried added the MAME artwork to the new bezel project but that doesn't work.

Thanks

Can anyone help I'm totally confused I have the bezels downloaded and set to my retroarch file system the sammy atomiswave naomi worked straight away with no issues changing for each game now the consoles won't update the bezels just black I can set them individually with retroarch override settings but that's gonna be a mammoth chore help please I'm at a loss