LaunchBox Community Forums

i just don't understand

2ball

I just don't understand.  I've built computers, I've used mame since the middle 2000's since it was released.  I got a raspberry pi retro setup going.

I can't get this front end going.  

It seems simple.  Put an emulator somewhere, point launchbox to the exe file of the emulator.  Put the roms in the rom folder zipped. 

I can't seem to find rompacks that work.  I don't have my old romset.

I'm too knowledgeable not to be able to get this to work.

ok, so even with norton removing files, my old romset works perfectly in launchbox.

My issue must be with the romsets I have been trying to get recently.  they are somehow not compatible with the emulators I'm getting.

couple more questions.

my romset only has 3000 games, I assume that is including bootlegs (that don't show up), and is tough to find games.  How would navigate a full rom set  (30,000 games?)?

with a current setup, do you still have to press OK?

How do I get rid of the bezel art? so It does not show up when I play? 

Rom sets should match the emulator being used, the further apart in versions you get from each other the more likely to find games that don't work at all.

30,000 games contain a lot of garbage like mahjong, video poker and mechanical games which the vast majority of people do not want in their LB setup. This is why there are filters in the importer, with everything filtered out I believe there is approx 2800 or so games imported from a full set.

Yes with the official builds of Mame you still have to press ok, there are no nag versions available on the net and here on the forums.

Bezels can be turned off in the mame.ini or in the mame ui.

13 hours ago, Klopjero said:

bezels are a personal preference, but depending on your monitor aspect, you might want to hang on to them. I find that playing games with a vertical aspect, stretched over your widescreen very unsatisfying. 

yes, I got this big 27 inch monitor and with the bezel displayed, the screen yardage on some games would fit in a 12 inch monitor.

21 minutes ago, 2ball said:

yes, I got this big 27 inch monitor and with the bezel displayed, the screen yardage on some games would fit in a 12 inch monitor.

The bezel covers the empty space, the original game would be a tiny window on your "fancy new screen". it is likely a 240p image, so if you want the original size, you likely coulndnt see if from 5 foot away.

round 2

I got the most recent rom pack and Mame64 to go with it.

Am I wrong, or are there roms for every emulated console in there? 

Where are the arcade roms?  I see a folder that says mame 0.202 software list roms (merged), but when I open that there is a N64 folder with Nintendo 64 games and a folder that says X68K flop

Edited by 2ball

Depending where you got the roms, there is usually two different rom sets offered. One is the normal Arcade roms in split, non-merged, or merged format. Second is normally the 'software list' roms which are the ones for computers, consoles, etc. This second set is what once was called MESS roms. MESS is now a part of MAME, so recent, full versions of MAME can run everything. I hope this isn't clear as mud. :)

Are you sure you downloaded the correct rom pack?

I got the 0.202 merged set and everything works.

A few posts back I complained about the bezel that was displayed around the screen.  (an actual photo of the real bezel that displayed around the playable area of the screen)

How do I get that back?

3 minutes ago, 2ball said:

I got the 0.202 merged set and everything works.

A few posts back I complained about the bezel that was displayed around the screen.  (an actual photo of the real bezel that displayed around the playable area of the screen)

How do I get that back?

Use the tab menu then go to video.