LaunchBox Community Forums

emulators not responding

theekinghumpy

I love launchbox but this issue is about to make me give up on emulation all together. I have been trying to fix thins issue for weeks and im talking  minimum of 5 hours a day. i have built 3 Arcades and im having this issue on multiple computers now and cant find any answers to fix it. Retroarch takes minutes to open. Shows up as not responding but if im patient it will open. I have a amd fx8350 with gtx 780 and it does it. intel 6850k with 1080 ti does it. A hades canyun nook  does it. 1 of my brothers pc does it but the other does not. I have tried windows 10 1503,1809 and 1903 build and all do it. drivers are up to date and have wiped windows more times than i can count to see if that fixes it. Sometimes it takes multiple opens and closes to start happening but always happens. Stand alone mame  emulator does it as well. only way to fix it is a reboot. Can someone please help me. At this point id pay someone to help me with this.

Does it do this with all cores in Retroarch?

I recently had this issue with a single core, delay to start Retroarch, starts loading, another delay, (no response to key strokes during this), and then finally ran. Tried everything I could think of, deleted retroarch configs, deleted and redownloaded core and still no change.

On a hunch, redownloaded Retroarch and installed to a second location and ran from there and it worked. Didn't want to go through the hasshle of determining the exact file in Retroarch causing the issue, so re-installed Retroarch again, directly over my original install location. Fixed the problem and all my custom configs and remaps still in place.

Hope that helps.

I assume the issue still happens when you run Retroarch without LaunchBox or Big Box?

I will say that not every release of Retroarch turns out to be stable, and I have run into versions in the past that had various/consistent issues across several different machines. If all else fails, try a different/older version of Retroarch, and make sure that you reset your settings to the defaults.

So once retroarch actually starts it has 0 issues. Runs fast across all computers. It's just when I click the app or launch a game through launch box. My task manager shows everything normal at least to me. Nothing is over 40%. I will try some different builds. I know for sure I have tried stable and nightly but not old builds. I'm just not sure what could cause this to happen to 4 out of 5 computers and not hear people complain about this more often. 

Edited by theekinghumpy

5 hours ago, theekinghumpy said:

So once retroarch actually starts it has 0 issues. Runs fast across all computers. It's just when I click the app or launch a game through launch box. My task manager shows everything normal at least to me. Nothing is over 40%. I will try some different builds. I know for sure I have tried stable and nightly but not old builds. I'm just not sure what could cause this to happen to 4 out of 5 computers and not hear people complain about this more often. 

You likely do not hear more people complain because this may be a pretty unique issue. Emulators run pretty well for most users. When you are trying on other pc/laptops are these all fresh downloads and builds on each machine or are you copying over the same set-up to each machine? 

They pcs we user are all fresh always trying something different. Cpu usage is 0 for minutes but as soon as it starts im good as gold. You know i would just deal with this if bigbox would play well with the error. Usually it says game over and lets you select another and out of no where the game loads. So i seen this in event viewer

- <System>
  <Provider Name="Windows Error Reporting" />
  <EventID Qualifiers="0">1001</EventID>
  <Level>4</Level>
  <Task>0</Task>
  <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-06-18T05:29:10.586909500Z" />
  <EventRecordID>685</EventRecordID>
  <Channel>Application</Channel>
  <Computer>DESKTOP-NAUJA19</Computer>
  <Security />
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data>1901943313385580744</Data>
  <Data>5</Data>
  <Data>AppHangB1</Data>
  <Data>Not available</Data>
  <Data>0</Data>
  <Data>retroarch.exe</Data>
  <Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
  <Data>00000000</Data>
  <Data>c6bb</Data>
  <Data>134217728</Data>
  <Data />
  <Data />
  <Data />
  <Data />
  <Data />
  <Data>\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER1F75.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER1F86.tmp.xml \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER1F87.tmp.csv \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER1FA7.tmp.txt \\?\C:\Users\humst\AppData\Local\Temp\WER2709.tmp.appcompat.txt</Data>
  <Data>\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppHang_retroarch.exe_98a6f8641421b8e5bfd5ab372b6eff8794bd1d66_da257849_3d319b28-7142-45bf-99dd-65802a26beef</Data>
  <Data />
  <Data>0</Data>
  <Data>a5cdccb4-6a35-44ec-b56b-cafa6f30353e</Data>
  <Data>268435456</Data>
  <Data>f4ab58989fb6d349aa650f5dd946e8c8</Data>
  <Data>0</Data>
  </EventData>
  </Event>
not sure if this is any help. 

Unfortunately that error doesn't really help us much, though it might help the Retroarch developers. To clarify 100%, I know you may have answered these questions, but it's hard to tell:

• Are you installing a completely fresh copy of Retroarch on each computer, with a default configuration?
  • Does the problem happen if you run Retroarch outside of LaunchBox or Big Box?

The other thing that could be happening is that maybe you have another app that is installed on all of your machines that is conflicting with Retroarch. Trying closing all other apps and processes to see if that could be the issue, especially any anti-virus or anti-malware software.

The issue happens all the time. Fresh install from retroarch website on my Kingston 250gb ssd. It happens on my nuc Samsung m. 2 drive and my seagate hdd. All 3 different computers. This problem happens in launchbox, bigbox and opening program by itself. I have literally wiped windows downloaded only retroarch dx9 drivers, my gtx 1080ti drivers and that's it. I Will open it close it (changing games) and it will start to hang. I have made my startup apps disabled and only leave windows services to boot and that does nothing either. I think this is a lost cause. I'd buy a new computer if I'd know it would not have this problem. 

1 minute ago, theekinghumpy said:

The issue happens all the time. Fresh install from retroarch website on my Kingston 250gb ssd. It happens on my nuc Samsung m. 2 drive and my seagate hdd. All 3 different computers. This problem happens in launchbox, bigbox and opening program by itself. I have literally wiped windows downloaded only retroarch dx9 drivers, my gtx 1080ti drivers and that's it. I Will open it close it (changing games) and it will start to hang. I have made my startup apps disabled and only leave windows services to boot and that does nothing either. I think this is a lost cause. I'd buy a new computer if I'd know it would not have this problem. 

Pretty strange. Yeah, I'd try a previous Retroarch version to see if that's the problem. It wouldn't be the first time Retroarch has put out a broken release, and I'm probably not running the latest myself. Looks like I'm running 1.7.7 without issues though (which appears to be the latest official).

I have tried that version as well. Different driver in retroarch and menu driver as well. Launchbox is amazing and hopefully I get this resolved in the future so I can keep using it. I won't waist anymore of your time. If you guys are stumped too I'm doomed lol. Thanks for everyones help. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theekinghumpy said:

I have tried that version as well. Different driver in retroarch and menu driver as well. Launchbox is amazing and hopefully I get this resolved in the future so I can keep using it. I won't waist anymore of your time. If you guys are stumped too I'm doomed lol. Thanks for everyones help. 

You said it happens in Retroarch directly, if that is correct than likely not Launchbox related and seems like a driver issue. Are you sure all drivers are updated? You mentioned DX9 but you are on a Windows 10 machine. Latest version should be DX12. 

1 hour ago, theekinghumpy said:

This problem happens in launchbox, bigbox and opening program by itself.

Well I created a topic in retroarch forums and someone helped me fix the issue. So the fix was very silly and would have never figured it out. You guys ready for this. It was caused by a corsair keyboard! Not sure how but unplugging it fixed but it did. Thank again to all that helped me try and fix this.