LaunchBox Community Forums

Have anyone tried RetroArch 1.7.8 yet?

PurpleTentacle

Based on my experience, 1.78 seems to be about the same as before with no major changes performance-wise but I could easily be wrong about that, but it's running the same as usual without any bugs or errors. However, the Android version does have some quirks, and I needed to delete my previous data/cache in order for it to work properly

50 minutes ago, bundangdon said:

Based on my experience, 1.78 seems to be about the same as before with no major changes performance-wise but I could easily be wrong about that, but it's running the same as usual without any bugs or errors. However, the Android version does have some quirks, and I needed to delete my previous data/cache in order for it to work properly

So far, I kind of like some of the new options, even though most are fairly minor (minus the text to speech, which seems like it has potential, but I haven't set it up yet). But there's one aspect that I need to figure out how to change, which is the notification for changing state slots. It scrolls notifications instead of just changing the number, which means that the old notifications has to fade away before the new one can catch up. This means that if I want to get to State slot 50, I have to wait for the notifications to fade away before I can see what number I'm on, meaning that it's *extremely* slow (I have changing the state slot hotkeyed so I can do it on my controller, which is usually more handy than changing it in the menus). I have zero idea what they were thinking of with this design....

image.thumb.png.9b62da2e5ba73120b1b1c77ee16ed781.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

...notifications...

At least the notifications seem to be popping up over the bezels now -- that bothered me about 1.7.7 (they were half hidden behind the bezels) and looks like a step in the right direction. I think the new notification framework is pretty recent, so hopefully they will continue refining it.

6 minutes ago, eatkinola said:

At least the notifications seem to be popping up over the bezels now -- that bothered me about 1.7.7 (they were half hidden behind the bezels) and looks like a step in the right direction. I think the new notification framework is pretty recent, so hopefully they will continue refining it.

Yeah that was a bug in 1.7.7, it was fixed in one of the very first nightlys.

2 hours ago, eatkinola said:

I was still on 1.7.6, so I actually didn't realize that they changed it inbetween versions. I did dislike how the text used to get covered by the bezel, but I actually just moved the placement of the text so that the bezels didn't interfere with it.

Does anyone know how to change the notifications style? I'd prefer not to upgrade, since it feels like they ruined a perfectly practical aspect of the ui for an aesthetic choice. EDIT: Someone helped me find the setting to revert it back to the text style. It's under settings > user interface > menu widgets OFF. I don't mind the look of the widgets (kind of prefer it it aesthetically), but it's so impractical that it's a really bad tradeoff. 

Edited by PurpleTentacle

1 hour ago, eatkinola said:

1.7.8 changed the way it handles shaders, and video_shader is no longer a recognized option in cfg files. I've not yet figured out how to use the new shader stuff, so guess I'll stick with 1.7.7. It's a real bummer they removed this option.

The save options are all consolidated under the SAVE option in Shaders, You can save by core, by directory, and by game. 

4 minutes ago, Headrush69 said:

The save options are all consolidated under the SAVE option in Shaders, You can save by core, by directory, and by game.

Thank you. I already have shaders configured per core and sometimes per game, using video_shader. I just need to figure out how to convert these cfg files to work with the new shader system, since video_shader is no longer a valid cfg parameter.

10 minutes ago, PurpleTentacle said:

Someone on Reddit said, "Shaders on N64 run like garbage since I updated to 1.7.8.", but there's no replies, so I have no idea how accurate that is. I guess I'll wait to see what others say. I usually prefer to let people use it for a bit, just to make sure stuff like that isn't made worse.

Not that I compared FPS, but both mupen64plus and paralleln64 cores both running fine here.

Just zip your entire Retroarch directory and then apply the update. If you find issues and want to go back, just delete and unzip that backup.

5 hours ago, eatkinola said:

Thank you. I already have shaders configured per core and sometimes per game, using video_shader. I just need to figure out how to convert these cfg files to work with the new shader system, since video_shader is no longer a valid cfg parameter.

I have the same problem with the shaders not being applied like in the past, all my previous shader configurations that I saved per core/game/directory will not work now :(

On 8/26/2019 at 11:47 PM, Mr. RetroLust said:

I have the same problem with the shaders not being applied like in the past, all my previous shader configurations that I saved per core/game/directory will not work now :(

Man that is the stuff I really hate.  So now you have to go through and find the shaders again, re-apply them, and re-save them all?

1 hour ago, damageinc86 said:

Man that is the stuff I really hate.  So now you have to go through and find the shaders again, re-apply them, and re-save them all?

I think the best way would be to first save your various shader settings as presets in your older version and then reapply them in 1.7.8. and then save them as global/directory/game, but I haven't tried it myself yet. @Retro808 posted this guide in how the shaders now work: https://docs.libretro.com/guides/shaders/