LaunchBox Community Forums

BannerBox

faeran

On 4/18/2020 at 5:22 PM, chriskrojs said:

Holy moly I didn’t realise all the game banners were custom made. I thought they were being pulled from the downloaded images for each game. Huge effort. Thanks very much. 

Yeah my banner image folder is 5 gigs! And that's not including the arcade platform!  it would be great if someday launchbox could pull the assets in the fly and compile them in this format.  I posted links to download my images folder in the bannerbox images thread.

• Game On 1

18 hours ago, faeran said:

You'll need to create your own banners, or use one of the many great ones within this community thread:

BannerBox Community Banner Thread

Hi, thanks for the answer, but is there anywhere on the theme files where I can edit the font size for the playlists name? Or at least change to find their clear logos? Anything that I could edit there would be very helpfull, because there's like 120 lists and getting images for all of them would be crazy. Thanks!

1 hour ago, RafaelFreitas said:

Hi, thanks for the answer, but is there anywhere on the theme files where I can edit the font size for the playlists name? Or at least change to find their clear logos? Anything that I could edit there would be very helpfull, because there's like 120 lists and getting images for all of them would be crazy. Thanks!

So, the view you are using is the horizontal image logo view, therefore the text you see is an auto-generated image of text that only Jason has access to changing (unfortunately).

However, you do have a couple options here:

1. Use the Community theme creator in order to auto generate all the images that you'll need. It's a fairly easy setup and once you have it set up it will generate all your images in under a minute. Then you just place the images in appropriate playlist image folder for the theme.
  2. You can use the text list view. This view doesn't rely on the horizontal banner images.

17 hours ago, RafaelFreitas said:

Just download the entire set I made and I bet that will take care of most of your missing images.  There's photoshop files in there also for when you need to make a one-off image here or there.

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, crowzor82 said:

New to bigbox and this theme is my favorite so far. Quick question, im more of a 3d box art fan over the standard covers is there a way to change them over?

I think you would have load up the community theme creator with the bannerbox image template and change the image it looks for to the 3d box category so it pulls from your 3d box folder, and then run the batch image creator for all your systems.  I think everyone who has every made a bannerbox banner has used the standard 2d boxes so far, so that's the only type of asset available currently.  I just spent 6 months finishing my entire setup, so it's not something I'm up for, but it can be done.

Edited by damageinc86

Hi ! I'm trying since yesterday to make this theme work but I get stuck afetr installing it. After install, I have a black screen. If I press "esc" though, I'm able to see the menu.

Then, when I try to open a platform or a category, this message shows up :

Input string was not in a correct format.

App:     Big Box
Version: 11.8
Type:    System.FormatException
Site:    Void ThrowOverflowOrFormatException(ParsingStatus, System.TypeCode)
Source:  System.Private.CoreLib

at System.Number.ThrowOverflowOrFormatException(ParsingStatus status, TypeCode type)
   at System.Double.Parse(String s)
   at COMMUNITYconverters.OffscreenPosition.Convert(Object[] values, Type targetType, Object parameter, CultureInfo culture)
   at System.Windows.Data.MultiBindingExpression.TransferValue()
   at System.Windows.Data.MultiBindingExpression.Transfer()
   at System.Windows.Data.MultiBindingExpression.HandlePropertyInvalidation(DependencyObject d, DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.Data.BindingExpressionBase.OnPropertyInvalidation(DependencyObject d, DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.DependentList.InvalidateDependents(DependencyObject source, DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs sourceArgs)
   at System.Windows.DependencyObject.NotifyPropertyChange(DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.DependencyObject.UpdateEffectiveValue(EntryIndex entryIndex, DependencyProperty dp, PropertyMetadata metadata, EffectiveValueEntry oldEntry, EffectiveValueEntry& newEntry, Boolean coerceWithDeferredReference, Boolean coerceWithCurrentValue, OperationType operationType)
   at System.Windows.DependencyObject.InvalidateProperty(DependencyProperty dp, Boolean preserveCurrentValue)
   at System.Windows.Data.MultiBindingExpression.TransferValue()
   at System.Windows.Data.MultiBindingExpression.Transfer()
   at System.Windows.Data.MultiBindingExpression.HandlePropertyInvalidation(DependencyObject d, DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.Data.BindingExpressionBase.OnPropertyInvalidation(DependencyObject d, DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.DependentList.InvalidateDependents(DependencyObject source, DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs sourceArgs)
   at System.Windows.DependencyObject.NotifyPropertyChange(DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.FrameworkElement.OnRenderSizeChanged(SizeChangedInfo sizeInfo)
   at System.Windows.ContextLayoutManager.fireSizeChangedEvents()
   at System.Windows.ContextLayoutManager.UpdateLayout()
   at System.Windows.ContextLayoutManager.UpdateLayoutCallback(Object arg)
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.InvokeOnRenderCallback.DoWork()
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.FireInvokeOnRenderCallbacks()
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandlerCore(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandler(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

Recent Log:

14:29:16 Exception

I use Launchbox 11.8 and latest version of the theme. Launchbox is not on C:\ drive, does it matter ?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

• 4 weeks later...

So First I want to say thanks for such a beautiful theme this thing is great. Now the only issue I have is that the horizontal game banners dont load I just get the launchbox logo like some others. If I switch it to the detail game selection I get the banners so I know the banners are there for the games I have. This issue is only in the games view side scrolling banners load no images but the music plays and the background comes up with the details and all other art work plus videos if I have them. it is crazy because I get the banner if I select the one where the games are at the bottom right. could this be a configure issue? 

Screenshot 2021-02-08 122932.png

Screenshot 2021-02-08 123128.png

Screenshot 2021-02-08 123204.png

Edited by phlames

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all, 

I've already posted this question in the basic forum, but have received no help so for... so I'm hoping that someone here can shed some light on my problem. 

I really like the BannerBox theme, it's thoughtful, intuitive, beautiful looking... but I am having some issues with sound distortion and what I would assume is game slowdown. From what I can find, the combination of the BannerBox theme and Retroarch cores, seems to be the culprit. (details below)

- When launching the same 5200 games directly through Retroarch alone, while using the same Atari800 core, the games run perfectly fine. 

- when using the same Atari800 core through Retroarch in Launchbox, the games also play perfectly fine.

- I'm using game list, not wheel for the game library, nothing fancy, pretty basic setup.  

That said, when launching the same games with the Atari800 core through Retroarch, in the Bigbox default theme, there are also no problems... so I assume it's an issue with the custom theme BannerBox, which is unfortunate, because I love everything about the BannerBox theme! Hoping someone can lend some help with this. 

System being used:
(not at all a high-end system by any means, but it's the only PC I own, purchased exclusively for this project (i'm a mac guy due to the nature of my work...) regardless, this PC has done just fine with everything on this build until now... That said, I'm just using this PC to put together the windows retro emulator build that will be going into my more capable Atari VCS 800, via M.2 drive)

Month old HP Laptop:
AMD Athlon Silver 3050U w/ Radeon Graphics (2.30 GHz)
4.00 GB RAM
Windows 10, 64bit

OS, Launchbox/Bigbox, emulators, themes, cores etc. are current an up to date. 
~ Many thanks in advance to anyone here who might have some ideas or a solution!

Edited by myklejay

• 4 weeks later...

I love this theme!!!  Thanks goes to the creator!

I do have a small issue, but it is more my fault than the theme's.  The theme typically uses the LBDB IDs for the banner images, but also supports the actual naming of the files as per game name.  I know the preferred method is the LBDB but I like using the game names as there are some multi-disc versions of games that can be different and I want them to show in the list (two examples are Gran Turismo 2 - which has an arcade disc and a simulation disc.  And Resident Evil 2 - which has a Leon and Claire disc.  Both for PSX).  I manage to get these banners to show up in my wheel separated and displayed exactly how I like them. 

The issue arises when you select a game that is displayed like this, on the play menu screen, instead of the banner showing up with the cart or disc at the bottom - the banner does not appear - unless it is using the LBDB ID only.  However, because I have some custom split up games, I can't use the LBDB ID to display multiple custom banners due to sharing the same LBDB ID.

Is there a workaround that I may employ to resolve this?  Is there a means by which to add a default banner by system if it does not find what it expects?

screen1.jpg

screen2.jpg

Edited by Layer0730

13 minutes ago, Layer0730 said:

I love this theme!!!  Thanks goes to the creator!

I do have a small issue, but it is more my fault than the theme's.  The theme typically uses the LBDB IDs for the banner images, but also supports the actual naming of the files as per game name.  I know the preferred method is the LBDB but I like using the game names as there are some multi-disc versions of games that can be different and I want them to show in the list (two examples are Gran Turismo 2 - which has an arcade disc and a simulation disc.  And Resident Evil 2 - which has a Leon and Claire disc.  Both for PSX).  I manage to get these banners to show up in my wheel separated and displayed exactly how I like them. 

The issue arises when you select a game that is displayed like this, on the play menu screen, instead of the banner showing up with the cart or disc at the bottom - the banner does not appear - unless it is using the LBDB ID only.  However, because I have some custom split up games, I can't use the LBDB ID to display multiple custom banners due to sharing the same LBDB ID.

Is there a workaround that I may employ to resolve this?  Is there a means by which to add a default banner by system if it does not find what it expects?

screen1.jpg

screen2.jpg

Hi Layer, the only thing I can think of for a workaround, is to remove illegal characters (characters that can't go into a file name - maybe change colon with a dash) from the game's name, then adjust your image names accordingly.

Thanks for the reply.  I do not know if it is a naming issue as I can reproduce it with any game that has a name for the banner instead of a LBDB ID.  It will show up just fine and I can scroll through and play games, just the banner will not show up in that one view I posted above, unless it is a LBDB ID instead.  Is there a way I can look at that view through the community theme creator?

screen3.jpg

1 minute ago, Layer0730 said:

Thanks for the reply.  I do not know if it is a naming issue as I can reproduce it with any game that has a name for the banner instead of a LBDB ID.  It will show up just fine and I can scroll through and play games, just the banner will not show up in that one view I posted above, unless it is a LBDB ID instead.  Is there a way I can look at that view through the community theme creator?

screen3.jpg

oh right, that one is specifically looking for the LBDB ID, and it's more of a long winded solution to solve especially if you are going to utilize both name types.

The community project files files are readily available for download. Load them into the theme creator and you can take a peak around.

• 4 weeks later...

BannerBox 2.0 has been released with the following changes:

• Feature: All game views can now utilize your regular BoxArt and Clear Logo images. Custom Banners (Banner Packs) are no longer required!
    • Note: This feature only works in LaunchBox 11.10 or higher.
    • Note: You now need to load 4 images per game, as opposed to 1. Please keep this in mind.
  • Feature: Game Custom Banners still work in the theme, but this is considered legacy. It is known that custom images appear more blurry than they did before.
    • Note: No custom banners are included with this version, however they still work if placed in the same spot as before.
  • Feature: The theme now utilizes parenting functionality, removing some user sources and reducing the amount of animations needed to pull off the same effects.
  • Fix: Freezing caused by User Defined Videos have now been solved.
  • Fix: Controller and Default Media file names have been adjusted.
  • Additions: More platform banners have been included with the theme.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, kal9000 said:

Hey love the theme, but is there a way to exclude platforms that don't have banners? Looks a bit janky when that happens; screenshots attached.

Screenshot 2021-05-03 174255.png

Screenshot 2021-05-03 174318.png

Hi @kal9000. Unfortunately themes don't have the ability to tell which platforms have banners and which won't don't. I would recommend that you either create your missing banners based on the templates that I provided, or you can go to the BannerBox Community Banner thread and see if someone has already created one for the systems you are missing for: 

BannerBox Community Banner Thread - Page 14 - Platform Media - LaunchBox Community Forums (launchbox-app.com)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again!

I've noticed that Bannerbox doesn't seem to respect image priority as set in Launchbox. I'm using the text list w/ details view for my games, and a lot of games don't have box-art (for instance a lot of Amiga games). I've setup priority to fall-back to 3D boxes, but it seems to not pick that up and so there's a lot of blanks. Any idea if it's possible to respect priorities in the theme, or does it have to be hardcoded to a box-cover or nothing?

2 hours ago, kal9000 said:

Hello again!

I've noticed that Bannerbox doesn't seem to respect image priority as set in Launchbox. I'm using the text list w/ details view for my games, and a lot of games don't have box-art (for instance a lot of Amiga games). I've setup priority to fall-back to 3D boxes, but it seems to not pick that up and so there's a lot of blanks. Any idea if it's possible to respect priorities in the theme, or does it have to be hardcoded to a box-cover or nothing?

Hi @kal9000. This functionality will only work in BannerBox 2.0, which is (currently) only downloadable on the forums.

Hi, on the latest version of both BannerBox (2.0) and LaunchBox (11.11) and the generated banner images are all blown up out of proportion (see screenshot). In the view with games names listed as text, the box art looks normal - all the other BannerBox views have the enlarged images. Which is also affecting the clear logo - which is covering other artefacts. I checked display scaling, and even at 100%, same result. Any ideas?

Edit: Oh and yes I unblocked the zip file before copying it across.

image.thumb.png.a2187d66a8e7948bb05c91b7b2a35f37.png

Edited by matris

• 2 weeks later...

I got into a little groove of setup last night after some beers and I thought I'd attach this work in case others want it.

First, I setup a photoshop template for BannerBox theme. I included "Template.psd" and an example "C64.psd".  This is a pretty straightforward template where I put in some markers and trimmed out the blank spaces in the arcade cabinet art so you can add your own upper image, marquee, and screenshot. For text I was just using http://arcade.photonstorm.com/ to write out an arcade font and dropping it at the bottom.

I also added the completed files for the playlists that I added from this site. They're pretty generic so people might enjoy those. All should be transparent supporting png files. Template is setup for transparency as well so if you "Save As" a copy to a .png then you'll get transparency in your images, good for Bannerbox!

Arcade.png

Beatemup.png

C64.png

Favorites.png

Fighters.png

Fighting (Arcade 3d).png

Most Played.png

NES.png

Platform.png

Puzzles.png

Recently Played.png

Runngun.png