LaunchBox Community Forums

Troubleshooting MAME High Scores

Jason Carr

Well, your trace log indicates it was generated.  NVRAM is likely there however so did you try removing that?

TRACE: game high score: C:\LaunchBox\Emulators\Mame\hi\digdug.hi
TRACE: game detected: digdug
TRACE: potential file containing hiscore: C:\LaunchBox\Emulators\Mame\nvram\digdug\earom

58 minutes ago, sundogak said:

Well, your trace log indicates it was generated.  NVRAM is likely there however so did you try removing that?

TRACE: game high score: C:\LaunchBox\Emulators\Mame\hi\digdug.hi
TRACE: game detected: digdug
TRACE: potential file containing hiscore: C:\LaunchBox\Emulators\Mame\nvram\digdug\earom

Yes and that seems to have resolved the issue as I have a score posted now.

Thank You

• Game On 1

• 2 months later...

Any chance you manipulating your timeplt.hi file?  Though it found "Timeplt.hi", the hi2txt (I believe) needs to see "timeplt.hi".  Try changing the capital "T" to a lower case "t" in your ../Documents/Mame/hi/   folder.  I didn't test that particular one, but MAME should be saving the file in all lowercase.

12 minutes ago, madmat71 said:

already with lowercase in the directory.

Hmm.... based off the debug log, LaunchBox is looking for the game (rom) .hi file using a capital "T", but all the others in the log show lowercase.  That's why I was assuming that hi2txt searches are case sensitive since it came back with "ERROR: No XML description found for ROM 'Timeplt'".  

My next (and probably last) guess is Edit your game in LaunchBox and see if the filename (rom_name) it's pointing to is capitalized.image.thumb.png.4a03a8de2bdbed6b10e075711c8ba60b.png

31 minutes ago, JoeViking245 said:

Hmm.... based off the debug log, LaunchBox is looking for the game (rom) .hi file using a capital "T", but all the others in the log show lowercase.  That's why I was assuming that hi2txt searches are case sensitive since it came back with "ERROR: No XML description found for ROM 'Timeplt'".  

My next (and probably last) guess is Edit your game in LaunchBox and see if the filename (rom_name) it's pointing to is capitalized.image.thumb.png.4a03a8de2bdbed6b10e075711c8ba60b.png

already checked myself renamed the file with lowercase both in the system and in that edit game box. I guess I am not the only one having problem as there are no recent highscores for that game

5 minutes ago, madmat71 said:

no recent highscores for that game

The score is definitely nothing to brag about, in fact not even worth mentioning... but there at least one new "high score". ;) image.png.18e04054f962f93d42fef8aed8c01b9b.pngWith everything lowercase now, exit and restart LaunchBox, Run Time Pilot, Try to beat my Weekly high score (lol. jk), Exit the game, Exit LB and look at the most recent log file.  Hopefully it'll change from something like thisimage.thumb.png.3b5ab5f0447052210bc203900b155170.pngTo something like thisimage.thumb.png.bfc64371e3bde06134fce4adb97b81ee.png 

Thanks it worked apparently!

I haven't made a big score but the log says it would have loaded it if worth :)

RACE: working directory: C:\Users\matte\LaunchBox
TRACE: hiscore.dat: C:\Users\matte\Documents\Mame\plugins\hiscore\hiscore.dat
TRACE: game high score: C:\Users\matte\Documents\Mame\hi\timeplt.hi
TRACE: game detected: timeplt
TRACE: potential file containing hiscore: C:\Users\matte\Documents\Mame\hi\timeplt.hi
TRACE: reading a description from file: C:\Users\matte\LaunchBox\ThirdParty\hi2txt\hi2txt.zip, entry timeplt.xml
TRACE: reading dtd from file: C:\Users\matte\LaunchBox\ThirdParty\hi2txt\hi2txt.zip, entry hi2txt.dtd
TRACE: format defined: +1
TRACE: format auto: hexadecimal_string
TRACE: charset defined: timeplt
TRACE: charset defined: CS_NUMBER
TRACE: matching structure: hiscore.dat = ab08:28:00:f1a98b:3:00:01
TRACE: matching structure: size = 43
TRACE: data taken from file: C:\Users\matte\Documents\Mame\hi\timeplt.hi
TRACE: structure loop elt (index=0): RANK (1 bytes read on 43)
TRACE: structure loop elt (index=0): SCORE (4 bytes read on 43)
TRACE: structure loop elt (index=0): NAME (7 bytes read on 43)
TRACE: structure loop elt (index=0): UNKNOWN (8 bytes read on 43)
TRACE: structure loop elt (index=1): RANK (9 bytes read on 43)
TRACE: structure loop elt (index=1): SCORE (12 bytes read on 43)
TRACE: structure loop elt (index=1): NAME (15 bytes read on 43)
TRACE: structure loop elt (index=1): UNKNOWN (16 bytes read on 43)
TRACE: structure loop elt (index=2): RANK (17 bytes read on 43)
TRACE: structure loop elt (index=2): SCORE (20 bytes read on 43)
TRACE: structure loop elt (index=2): NAME (23 bytes read on 43)
TRACE: structure loop elt (index=2): UNKNOWN (24 bytes read on 43)
TRACE: structure loop elt (index=3): RANK (25 bytes read on 43)
TRACE: structure loop elt (index=3): SCORE (28 bytes read on 43)
TRACE: structure loop elt (index=3): NAME (31 bytes read on 43)
TRACE: structure loop elt (index=3): UNKNOWN (32 bytes read on 43)
TRACE: structure loop elt (index=4): RANK (33 bytes read on 43)
TRACE: structure loop elt (index=4): SCORE (36 bytes read on 43)
TRACE: structure loop elt (index=4): NAME (39 bytes read on 43)
TRACE: structure loop elt (index=4): UNKNOWN (40 bytes read on 43)
TRACE: structure simple elt: TOP SCORE (43 bytes read on 43)
TRACE: output selected: the 1st one
TRACE: data displayed into:
TRACE: output table field: RANK
TRACE: output table field: SCORE
TRACE: output table field: NAME
TRACE: output table field: UNKNOWN
TRACE: output field: TOP SCORE
RANK|SCORE|NAME
1|47900|MJB
2|27000|MJB
3|10000|K.O
4|8800|N.A
5|8460|M.I
2021-01-08 09:55:39 AM MameHighScores.Parse: No new scores found to upload!
2021-01-08 09:55:39 AM GameDetailsViewModel AttachView LoadVideoMusic Start
2021-01-08 09:55:39 AM Music.Play Start
2021-01-08 09:55:39 AM GameDetailsViewModel AttachView LoadVideoMusic Comple

• Game On 1

• 1 month later...

@GreatStone  I did some troubleshooting with Bubble Bobble.  With the latest hi2txt release 1.12 (which is what LaunchBox is currently using) hi2txt gives an error reading bublboblr.hi [Clone], but has no issues with bublbobl.hi [Parent].

The error reads 

hi2txt.exe -rd bublboblr.hi
ERROR: Wrong SPECIAL ITEM COUNTERS value (0x0E) encoding detected: it can be due to a temporary corrupted .hi or nvram file

However when using hi2tx.exe release 1.10, it reads both bublboblr.hi and bublbobl.hi just fine.  (I didn't have release 1.11 to test with)

Attached are the debug and traces for each release.

And actually that's all I know.  So maybe it was more 'trouble-Finding' rather than troubleshooting. ? 

(both .hi files created today using MAME 0.228) 

r1.10_DebugTrace.txt r1.12_DebugTrace.txt

@JoeViking245 While reading documentation on Hi2Txt, I came across a statement that says you should have a hi file and an nvram file. Is this a true statement? If so, that may be part of the problem. Mame does not appear to be generating an NVRAM file. I only have a Hi file in the Hi folder. I had cleared both folders out of Mame for troubleshooting purposes. Even before I did so, I noticed there was no bublbobl nvram file. What do you think? Also do I need a hiscore.ini file? I don't have one.

Edited by filarenas3

28 minutes ago, filarenas3 said:

you should have a hi file and an nvram file. Is this a true statement?

If that's a direct quote, then no.  You could have either an hi file, an nvram file or both.  After seeing I had an hi file, then next thing I checked was if there was an nvram file, and there wasn't.  

32 minutes ago, filarenas3 said:

do I need a hiscore.ini file?

For MAME to create (and read) a high score file (hi or nvram), what it needs is located in the ../MAME/plugins/hiscore/  folder.  What hi2text needs to read the file(s) is its hi2txt.exe and hi2txt.zip files.  I believe it's pretty self contained, but for some games it may need (or that is merely capable of utilizing) the ../MAME/plugins/hiscore/ hiscore.dat file.  Is there a hiscore.ini file?  I think (but could be wrong) that may be from 'the old days'.  I don't have that ini file either in any of my MAME installs.