LaunchBox Community Forums

Troubleshooting MAME High Scores

Jason Carr

For me, some games just will not upload high scores. Launchbox high scores seems to be problematic on a per game basis, so most games work for me, but games like Bubble Bobble (version 5.1 and 1.0 U.S.) and 1944: The Loop Master simply will not log high scores. I have no idea why the difference since most games do, Aliens or Alien vs Predator for example, always work and other games, even when they support high scores, do not accept my high scores. Even with a low high score, the weekly, monthly, yearly should pop up--something should register, but no dice with some games. That's just my experience. Good feature otherwise.

Edited by Frondator

On 2/20/2022 at 12:24 PM, nicr4wks said:

It works for me too, but only in launchbox. BB does not show any score information for this rom.
Other roms have scores working fine across both applications.

image.png.28da203cfae04d5366f2e20cf4ddc5ba.png

image.thumb.png.04d39735cd066f16086e92d9a318c516.png

I am skeptical that it would be possible for a specific game in your collection to be working in LaunchBox, but not Big Box. Are you sure you're not using a different version or a different ROM file? The code is the same for this whether you're running LaunchBox or Big Box, so that doesn't really make much sense.

On 7/23/2022 at 9:01 PM, Frondator said:

For me, some games just will not upload high scores. Launchbox high scores seems to be problematic on a per game basis, so most games work for me, but games like Bubble Bobble (version 5.1 and 1.0 U.S.) and 1944: The Loop Master simply will not log high scores. I have no idea why the difference since most games do, Aliens or Alien vs Predator for example, always work and other games, even when they support high scores, do not accept my high scores. Even with a low high score, the weekly, monthly, yearly should pop up--something should register, but no dice with some games. That's just my experience. Good feature otherwise.

The high scores unfortunately will never be perfect. There will always be games here and there with issues. This is due to the nature of high scores within MAME, and the fact that the processing to retrieve those high scores is different between each game (and sometimes even between MAME versions). The hi2txt project is what we use in order to read the scores, and @GreatStone (the developer of it) does an amazing job with it. But it will always be a work in progress, because of the nature of the beast.

If/when you run across an issue, you can report it here: https://greatstoneex.github.io/hi2txt-doc/

Keep in mind that it will probably be a while though before it can be fixed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2022 at 4:21 PM, Jason Carr said:

The high scores unfortunately will never be perfect. There will always be games here and there with issues. This is due to the nature of high scores within MAME, and the fact that the processing to retrieve those high scores is different between each game (and sometimes even between MAME versions). The hi2txt project is what we use in order to read the scores, and @GreatStone (the developer of it) does an amazing job with it. But it will always be a work in progress, because of the nature of the beast.

If/when you run across an issue, you can report it here: https://greatstoneex.github.io/hi2txt-doc/

Keep in mind that it will probably be a while though before it can be fixed.

Thanks for the information. I was able to fix my Bubble Bobble issue with the fix given a few posts back in this thread. I also noticed that you deleted a glitched hiscore a few posts ago when someone alerted you. I've seen a lot of them, most of the time 5,555,555 types, but also scores an order of magnitude better than the usual best players at certain types of games, like Varorav will be number three with a seven-digit score and there will be two scores of over 1 billion on a game that clearly does not have 1 billion points in it. Do we just report glitched scores to you or somewhere else?

On 8/4/2022 at 12:49 PM, Frondator said:

Thanks for the information. I was able to fix my Bubble Bobble issue with the fix given a few posts back in this thread. I also noticed that you deleted a glitched hiscore a few posts ago when someone alerted you. I've seen a lot of them, most of the time 5,555,555 types, but also scores an order of magnitude better than the usual best players at certain types of games, like Varorav will be number three with a seven-digit score and there will be two scores of over 1 billion on a game that clearly does not have 1 billion points in it. Do we just report glitched scores to you or somewhere else?

You can report them here. I don't go through and remove them often, because I just don't have the time to do it on a regular basis. But I'll probably get around to doing it eventually if you can post it in this thread.