LaunchBox Community Forums

10.15-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

1 minute ago, Jason Carr said:

If LaunchBox eventually disappeared on its own, that means that most likely it was still saving things in the background. Unless Windows magically killed it, idk, but I've never seen that happen. What changes did you make that didn't save?

Associated platforms in emulator settings always seems to save, even if it's the last edit made before closing.

Game metadata doesn't always seem to (I've only been editing the platforms so that's what isn't saving for me).

Platform category parents doesn't always seem to save either.

Again, it's only the last dozen or so edits that don't save (thank god!).

18 hours ago, DOS76 said:

Happened to me today also.

You mean not closing and staying open in Task Manager?

1 hour ago, mcfilmmakers said:

Same thing again. Launchbox failed to save changes done about 5 minutes before it was closed initially. It seems the background process gets stuck but fails to actually do what it is supposed to be doing after launchbox closes. Launchbox hung around longer with task manager open and I can see CPU usage go from 0-0.5% and ram staying at a solid 1.45GB so it was doing something, but not saving.

This baffles me, because I've never seen anything like that, unless it's a new issue with recent betas. Guess we better do some further testing on that to confirm. Did you have any issues like that with 10.14?

1 hour ago, mcfilmmakers said:

I just noticed something: If I edit game metadata, platform sorting (move a platform into another category), emulator associated platforms, delete games and add games, the only thing that doesn't get saved is the platform sorting regardless of what order I do the edits in.

Even then, only the platform sorting done closer to closing Launchbox gets forgotten.

I.e. I move the platform into another category, edit emulator setting to associated that platform to the emulator and then close Launchbox. When reopening, if I get the Launchbox is already open error, the platform will be back to where it was initially but the emulator settings are saved.

I.e. I edit emulator setting to associate a platform to the emulator then move that platform into another category, and then close Launchbox. When reopening, if I get the Launchbox is already open error, the platform will be back to where it was initially but the emulator settings are saved.

I see. This is starting to make slightly more sense. Perhaps we're not always saving a platform properly when moving it into another category. Is that the *only* thing that you've seen not being saved? The other possibility is that there's somehow an issue with your data that is preventing certain platform XMLs from being saved. Can you zip up and PM me your data folder?

3 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

You mean not closing and staying open in Task Manager?

This baffles me, because I've never seen anything like that, unless it's a new issue with recent betas. Guess we better do some further testing on that to confirm. Did you have any issues like that with 10.14?

I see. This is starting to make slightly more sense. Perhaps we're not always saving a platform properly when moving it into another category. Is that the *only* thing that you've seen not being saved? The other possibility is that there's somehow an issue with your data that is preventing certain platform XMLs from being saved. Can you zip up and PM me your data folder?

Will do

... and done

Edited by mcfilmmakers

3 minutes ago, mcfilmmakers said:

Will do

... and done

Just read that these issues are happening with 10.14. We have specific fixes in place for issues closing in the 10.15 betas. Please, if you post in the beta thread and aren't using the latest beta, please note that in every post. Otherwise, it's too easy to get confused as to what's going on. It would be really helpful if you could update to the betas to confirm whether or not you still have these issues @mcfilmmakers.

Just now, Jason Carr said:

Just read that these issues are happening with 10.14. We have specific fixes in place for issues closing in the 10.15 betas. Please, if you post in the beta thread and aren't using the latest beta, please note that in every post. Otherwise, it's too easy to get confused as to what's going on. It would be really helpful if you could update to the betas to confirm whether or not you still have these issues @mcfilmmakers.

Heard loud and clear. I'll do so and report back.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

That's a new issue that I've never heard of. The log file you posted though shows that LaunchBox loaded up the main window and was running it, so it doesn't look like it's the correct log file for that instance. It would be good to see the correct log file if you have it. Have you ever run into this issue again?

It's happened a few times since 10.14, it seems to happen when i first start windows, all subsequent times re-opening seem to be ok.

Maybe this one, if not i'll wait until it happens again and repost.

Debug 2020-05-14 04-22-04 PM.log

Edited by Rlad

6 minutes ago, Rlad said:

It's happened a few times since 10.14, it seems to happen when i first start windows, all subsequent times re-opening seem to be ok.

Maybe this one, if not i'll wait until it happens again and repost.

Debug 2020-05-14 04-22-04 PM.log 13.74 kB · 1 download

I see. We fixed an issue related to controllers that happens only when first starting up Windows (Windows glitch). I'm guessing it's fixed in the betas. Can you update to the betas and test?

11 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

I see. We fixed an issue related to controllers that happens only when first starting up Windows (Windows glitch). I'm guessing it's fixed in the betas. Can you update to the betas and test?

Im already on the betas.

Edited by Rlad
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rlad said:

Im already on the betas.

Thanks, good to know. I could be wrong, but the above log file doesn't look right either. Let me know if you can reproduce it with a definite log file. I suppose it's possible that a log file isn't created when that happens. You can look at the date/time on the file to know if it's new or not though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Thanks, good to know. I could be wrong, but the above log file doesn't look right either. Let me know if you can reproduce it with a definite log file. I suppose it's possible that a log file isn't created when that happens. You can look at the date/time on the file to know if it's new or not though.

I'm trying to replicate it and its not happening now lol, nevermind i'll get back to you if it happens again.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mcfilmmakers said:

I just updated to the beta and it's asking me to reconfirm that Mame is the default associated platform for EVERY SINGLE ONE of the platforms it is associated with.... that was a lot of clicking yes...

You do have a LOT of arcade platforms lol. If it's asking you to confirm, then it means that you have some games or additional applications that are not set to MAME.

Just now, Jason Carr said:

You do have a LOT of arcade platforms lol. If it's asking you to confirm, then it means that you have some games or additional applications that are not set to MAME.

lmao granted. Just saying that it happened. Thing is I didn't edit anything before updating so that association should have been already made and I certainly didn't touch every single platform associated to MAME. Maybe my data was fudged up, who knows. Things appear far more responsive at the moment however.

Just now, mcfilmmakers said:

lmao granted. Just saying that it happened. Thing is I didn't edit anything before updating so that association should have been already made and I certainly didn't touch every single platform associated to MAME. Maybe my data was fudged up, who knows. Things appear far more responsive at the moment however.

We added a check on additional apps. It didn't do that previously.

• Like 1

Well, this is a new one. Tried importing a rom that was missed and Launchbox is stuck on the Finish screen in the wizard. Task manager isn't saying that Launchbox is non-responsive and CPU usage is fluctuating between 20-40% but I had to force quit since it wasn't doing anything after 10 minutes.

Task manager was showing CefSharp.BrowserSubprocess at 0% cpu and 8.6mb Ram

When I reopened launchbox NOT A SINGLE CHANGE was saved since I updated the the beta from 10.14. This includes the MAME associated platforms default popups.

HOWEVER, new platforms added to the bottom of the associated platform list were saved.

So to reiterate:
No edited game meta data was saved at all.
Newly created platforms were not saved at all.
Reassign parent platforms were not saved at all.
MAME associated platform defaults were not saved at all.
New platforms (which hadn't been saved) were in fact saved in the associated platforms list under MAME.  <-- weird!!!

Why weird? because I only add the new platforms tot he emulator associated list AFTER that platform was created.

Edited by mcfilmmakers

2 minutes ago, mcfilmmakers said:

Well, this is a new one. Tried importing a rom that was missed and Launchbox is stuck on the Finish screen in the wizard. Task manager isn't saying that Launchbox is non-responsive and CPU usage is fluctuating between 20-40% but I had to force quit since it wasn't doing anything after 10 minutes.

Task manager was showing CefSharp.BrowserSubprocess at 0% cpu and 8.6mb Ram

When I reopened launchbox NOT A SINGLE CHANGE was saved since I updated the the beta from 10.14. This includes the MAME associated platforms default popups.

HOWEVER, new platforms added to the bottom of the associated platform list were saved.

So to reiterate:
No edited game meta data was saved at all.
Newly created platforms were not saved at all.
MAME associated platform defaults were not saved at all.
New platforms (which hadn't been saved) were in fact saved in the associated platforms list under MAME.  <-- weird!!!

Why weird? because I only add the new platforms tot he emulator associated list AFTER that platform was created.

Force quitting LaunchBox can and will cause you to lose any and all data changes; it can even just straight up corrupt your data. That's the nature of a force quit. You've somehow got all kinds of issues on that machine, most of which I have never seen before. At this point I'm wondering if there's something fishy going on with the system somehow. I have your data to do some further testing, so I'll see if I have any issues. So far though I haven't run into any issues with your data.

1 minute ago, Jason Carr said:

Force quitting LaunchBox can and will cause you to lose any and all data changes; it can even just straight up corrupt your data. That's the nature of a force quit. You've somehow got all kinds of issues on that machine, most of which I have never seen before. At this point I'm wondering if there's something fishy going on with the system somehow. I have your data to do some further testing, so I'll see if I have any issues. So far though I haven't run into any issues with your data.

Yeah, I expected to see that happen due to force quitting.. however:

Following the above, I made a tiny handful of changes and exited launchbox cleanly. 20 minutes later, I open Launhcbox to encounter the "another instance of launchbox" message. another 10 minutes later, still the same message.

I force quit the launchbox process, open launchbox, and lo-and-behold, none of the changes were saved. Probably expected as well, but i'm not the only one running into the launchbox process issue as you know. The issue appears worse in the beta than in 10.14.

My machine is clean: 0 viruses in a scan run yesterday.

I ran another test: made ONE edit. closed launchbox cleanly. it took 3 minutes for the launchbox process to end. Reopening launchbox confirms that the change was saved.

Next test: Only thing I did was open Manage Emulators, edit MAME, go to associated platforms and clicked ok. The "confirm default" popups came up. Said yes to all of em. Closed launchbox cleanly. And waited for the launchbox process to end... officially just passed 20 minutes and it is still running. I'll let it sit as long as it takes and report back...

That said, the issue is significantly worse under the beta than it was under 10.14, but Launchbox itself is far more responsive (faster menus) than 10,14.

... the background process is still running now on 47 minutes. I've been looking though my logs  and noticed this error in about half of them:

2020-05-15 04:48:40 PM FIRST CHANCE EXCEPTION: The process cannot access the file 'Visited Links' because it is being used by another process.
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
2020-05-15 04:48:40 PM FIRST CHANCE EXCEPTION: The process cannot access the file 'Visited Links' because it is being used by another process.
   at System.IO.Directory.DeleteHelper(String fullPath, String userPath, Boolean recursive, Boolean throwOnTopLevelDirectoryNotFound, WIN32_FIND_DATA& data)
2020-05-15 04:48:40 PM EXCEPTION IGNORED: The process cannot access the file 'Visited Links' because it is being used by another process.
   at System.IO.Directory.DeleteHelper(String fullPath, String userPath, Boolean recursive, Boolean throwOnTopLevelDirectoryNotFound, WIN32_FIND_DATA& data)
   at System.IO.Directory.Delete(String fullPath, String userPath, Boolean recursive, Boolean checkHost)
   at (MainViewModel , Object , EventArgs )
2020-05-15 04:48:40 PM FIRST CHANCE EXCEPTION: A task was canceled.
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
2020-05-15 04:48:40 PM FIRST CHANCE EXCEPTION: The operation has timed out.
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(DispatcherOperation operation, CancellationToken cancellationToken, TimeSpan timeout)