LaunchBox Community Forums

10.15-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

20 hours ago, deliyuerek85 said:

I have discovered an issue. When I start an Origin game over LB/BB it opens the Origin Laucher but not the game that I wand to start. Even though it is installed. I need to click on it in the Laucher manually.

You may be running into an issue similar to what @CriticalCid has posted about. Could you turn on the Origin Badge in LaunchBox, if it doesn't correctly show for you on that title it will not launch correctly and will need re imported (just the game you won't need to pull down pictures again since deleting the title doesn't get rid of them). I'm looking into the issue and seeing what I can do to correct that behavior.

7 hours ago, C-Beats said:

Yes. If you manually add a game with the appropriate steam path all the Steam integrations will work. A lot of the times we have seen this the game simply wasn't returned by the Steam API and I'm not sure what all drives that to give a better explanation unfortunately.

Thanks C-B. I don't know if I'm reinventing the wheel here but to add non-installed Steam games, I had to import a random file from my computer and then edit the Application Path as required. 

3 hours ago, nearvanaman said:

Thanks C-B. I don't know if I'm reinventing the wheel here but to add non-installed Steam games, I had to import a random file from my computer and then edit the Application Path as required. 

Simply press Crtl+N when LaunchBox is open and a blank Edit game window will appear. Fill in the information and press ok.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2020 at 3:00 PM, C-Beats said:

You may be running into an issue similar to what @CriticalCid has posted about. Could you turn on the Origin Badge in LaunchBox, if it doesn't correctly show for you on that title it will not launch correctly and will need re imported (just the game you won't need to pull down pictures again since deleting the title doesn't get rid of them). I'm looking into the issue and seeing what I can do to correct that behavior.

This solved the problem. Thanks!

On 5/5/2020 at 5:49 PM, nearvanaman said:

I just used Steam import for the first time and did a manual audit when the numbers didn't tally. There are six games that didn't import (Drop, Escape from Tethys, Gravity Wars, Red Gate, Team Fortress 2, UNI - none of them currently installed). Perhaps it's an API issue that's not an easy fix (there's a few others who posted perhaps similar issues here and here), but is there a workaround for manually adding games using Application Path: steam://rungameid/[gameid] ?

I also noticed a mod (Killing Floor Mod: Defence Alliance 2) imported - I have base game but don't see separate entry for the mod. And I have two 'tools' for a football management game that I possibly installed years ago that were also picked up by the import.

Otherwise, great job on the imports. I used all the others without issue! 

You can just add a new game via Add in the button bar at the bottom, and put the steam:// text in the Application Path field.

On 5/6/2020 at 4:16 PM, mcfilmmakers said:

I don't know if this happens in the beta versions, but in launchbox 10.14 the system is very slow when editing metadata. After making the edits/importing/whatever on game data, emulator data, platform data... Launchbox hangs for 10 seconds or so before letting me scroll through the library (items are greyed out and I can't scroll the library, but I can scroll the platform list). Sometimes, it won't "wake up" and the only fix is to scroll up and down the platform list, which must set off some sort of refresh trigger and only then will the game list turn white (normal) and I can select items again.

Example:

Select game 1 -> edit, make changes, press ok.
Game list goes grey as data gets saved... takes around 10 seconds before game list is active again.
Most of the time however, after saving changes, the platform list will refresh (it scrolls to the bottom) and the game list will remain greyed out. At this point,I have to scroll up the platform list and when I get about halfway up the list, the game list will wake up and be active.

My game list is very long and my platform list is fairly long too (though I don't have issues with the platform list itself).

Launchbox is even in list view to avoid loading pictures so I'm not sure what the issue is though my theory is that Launchbox is forgetting to wake up the game list (maybe it forgets what platform it is supposed to display?) for an unknown reason.

Naturally, given the size of my library, I'm terrified of updating to the betas...

If I'm looking at a short game list, then the game list will activate fine... so this is a long game list issue. Not sure where the cutoff for the issue is. Will do more testing. 

So far: platform containing 2 games = no problem (10 second delay but game list activates). platform with 4000 games = problem (10 second delay, game list remains inactive)

On 5/6/2020 at 6:29 PM, mcfilmmakers said:

Further testing is inconsistent. Seems to have nothing to do with the length of the game list. It can have 200 and work (lag notwithstanding) or have 10 and never reactivate without the platform list scroll technique... happens whether its a single game being edited or a bulk edit.... my PC CPU doesn't max out nor does the RAM so those aren't the problem...

I'm doubtful that anything changed with the 10.14 release that would significantly slow anything down like that, but I could always be wrong. My guess is that it's likely a data issue of some sort. Did you make any significant data changes recently that could have caused it?

Also, do you have similar issues with the box art view?

This is the only notification from anyone that I've received that the 10.14 release has performance issues, so I'm guessing there's some kind of other influence and it isn't just the 10.14 release. I'm guessing it's either related to the list view, your data, or something else on your machine.

Beta 8 is out now with the following:

• New Feature: The game audit process has been overhauled with missing fields added and the ability to audit all of the games in your collection at once instead of just single platforms

• Improvement: More additional logging has been added to the MAME high scores in the debug logs for @GreatStone

With the updated audit, it is still in development. There's a number of tweaks that we still want to make, such as some of the column headers, the colors, the sorting, etc. It should mostly behave correctly though; we'll be back to it next week.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

I'm doubtful that anything changed with the 10.14 release that would significantly slow anything down like that, but I could always be wrong. My guess is that it's likely a data issue of some sort. Did you make any significant data changes recently that could have caused it?

This is the only notification from anyone that I've received that the 10.14 release has performance issues, so I'm guessing there's some kind of other influence and it isn't just the 10.14 release. I'm guessing it's either related to the list view, your data, or something else on your machine.

Well, i can't pin this on 10.14... I just imported Mame so that's a massive data inflow but given launchbox is built to handle Mame, I can't imagine this is in and of itself the root cause.

I will however backup previous claims about RAM usage. Launchbox uses 2-2.5GB of RAM just being open and about 4-5% CPU (i5-3570K). When it's handling data changes, RAM usage doesn't change but CPU usage goes to 60-70% (but none of my CPU cores max out). Scrolling the games list causes CPU usage to jump up to 40% (though it varies from 20-40%). When i stop scrolling, it'll drop down to 4-5%. There is no unbearable lag when scrolling (though i wouldn't call it smooth). The real annoyance is the irregular failure to wake up the games list.

I've been playing around using image view and there doesn't seem to be a difference in either lag, hang time, sleeping games list problem, cpu usage or RAM usage compared to list view.

Not sure if this is a known issue or something just introduced.  Never noticed this until beta-8.  Found it accidentally...

Double clicking in an empty area (between or under box art) with in the game list will cause this exception every time.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

App:     LaunchBox
Version: 10.15-beta-8
Type:    System.NullReferenceException
Site:    Void (Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.ViewModels.MainViewModel, Unbroken.LaunchBox.Plugins.Data.IGame, Unbroken.LaunchBox.Plugins.Data.IAdditionalApplication, Unbroken.LaunchBox.Plugins.Data.IEmulator, System.String)
Source:  LaunchBox

at (MainViewModel , IGame , IAdditionalApplication , IEmulator , String )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.ViewModels.MainViewModel.PlayGame(IGame g, IAdditionalApplication a, IEmulator e, String commandLine)
   at (<>c , Object , MouseButtonEventArgs )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.ViewModels.BoxesContentViewModel.<>c.<AttachView>b__32_2(Object sender, MouseButtonEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.Controls.Control.HandleDoubleClick(Object sender, MouseButtonEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.ReRaiseEventAs(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args, RoutedEvent newEvent)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.OnPreviewMouseDownThunk(Object sender, MouseButtonEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseTrustedEvent(RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingArea()
   at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessInput(InputEventArgs input)
   at System.Windows.Input.InputProviderSite.ReportInput(InputReport inputReport)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.ReportInput(IntPtr hwnd, InputMode mode, Int32 timestamp, RawMouseActions actions, Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 wheel)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.FilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.InputFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

Recent Log:

9:39:46 PM Exception

• Like 1

I updated to latest beta. I then noticed that compressed games were not starting and LB always show the error " 7-zip returned an error when trying to extract the archive". 

I though this was due to my settings of beta version and I then did a clean install of the last stable version 10.14 on another drive and the games unpacked correctly.

I then uninstalled version 10.14 and did this time another clean install from versions 10.15-beta 5, to beta 8 and none worked - same error message.

Could someone on beta versions test and confirm this issue?

LaunchBox-10.14-Setup already had the 3rd Party folder and that worked for me. Nothing related to that matter. (I guess)

Edited by bbneo

16 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

You can just add a new game via Add in the button bar at the bottom, and put the steam:// text in the Application Path field.

Yes, thank you. C-B(eats) helped me out on that one too. I'm not really too sure how much more obvious you can make it for someone as oblivious as me! 

On a slightly-related note, is it possible to manually add games in Twitch libraries?

Thanks. 

1 minute ago, nearvanaman said:

Yes, thank you. C-B(eats) helped me out on that one too. I'm not really too sure how much more obvious you can make it for someone as oblivious as me! 

On a slightly-related note, is it possible to manually add games in Twitch libraries?

Thanks. 

Just drag and drop the shortcuts it drops on your desktop and choose the "none of the above" option in the wizard.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mcfilmmakers said:

Well, i can't pin this on 10.14... I just imported Mame so that's a massive data inflow but given launchbox is built to handle Mame, I can't imagine this is in and of itself the root cause.

I will however backup previous claims about RAM usage. Launchbox uses 2-2.5GB of RAM just being open and about 4-5% CPU (i5-3570K). When it's handling data changes, RAM usage doesn't change but CPU usage goes to 60-70% (but none of my CPU cores max out). Scrolling the games list causes CPU usage to jump up to 40% (though it varies from 20-40%). When i stop scrolling, it'll drop down to 4-5%. There is no unbearable lag when scrolling (though i wouldn't call it smooth). The real annoyance is the irregular failure to wake up the games list.

I've been playing around using image view and there doesn't seem to be a difference in either lag, hang time, sleeping games list problem, cpu usage or RAM usage compared to list view.

We can troubleshoot your performance, but probably would be best to do it in a new thread. We'll need your systems specs and stuff to determine if there's an issue with your data, or if it's expected performance with your collection and your hardware. My main concern though here is making sure that there's not an issue with the games list fading out and not coming back in. I've tested that though and I can't seem to reproduce it. I may be best to just zip up and PM me your Data folder so that I can test it.

@Ateb Thanks for that report. That's a new issue that was introduced in the betas, apparently. We'll get it fixed for the next beta.

@Pixel Thanks for that report as well. We'll get that one fixed too.

12 hours ago, RULLUR said:

Any chance we can sort by Versions in the near future?

What do you mean by sort by Versions?

1 hour ago, bbneo said:

I updated to latest beta. I then noticed that compressed games were not starting and LB always show the error " 7-zip returned an error when trying to extract the archive". 

I though this was due to my settings of beta version and I then did a clean install of the last stable version 10.14 on another drive and the games unpacked correctly.

I then uninstalled version 10.14 and did this time another clean install from versions 10.15-beta 5, to beta 8 and none worked - same error message.

Could someone on beta versions test and confirm this issue?

LaunchBox-10.14-Setup already had the 3rd Party folder and that worked for me. Nothing related to that matter. (I guess)

I've tested this and haven't been able to reproduce it. We should probably figure out what's happening here though; it's probably related to the 7-Zip upgrade we did in one way or another. Do you have a LaunchBox\7-Zip\x64\7z.exe file in your LaunchBox install?

1 minute ago, Jason Carr said:

We can troubleshoot your performance, but probably would be best to do it in a new thread. We'll need your systems specs and stuff to determine if there's an issue with your data, or if it's expected performance with your collection and your hardware. My main concern though here is making sure that there's not an issue with the games list fading out and not coming back in. I've tested that though and I can't seem to reproduce it. I may be best to just zip up and PM me your Data folder so that I can test it.

I agree that the sheer size of my database would cause a performance hit so I don't see that as the big issue. it's the faded games list that doesn't always wake up on its own that's the problem. I'll zip up my data folder and PM you.

16 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

I have that issue to, as mcfilmmakers says scrolling the left column pulls it out of the lock.

Also when deleting a game launchbox will jump back to the top, was this the behaviour of previous versions? It's kind of annoying if your working through a number of games and have to keep scrolling back down everytime. You can avoid it if you select another game just before it gets deleted but i don't remeber having to do this before.

21 minutes ago, mcfilmmakers said:

I agree that the sheer size of my database would cause a performance hit so I don't see that as the big issue. it's the faded games list that doesn't always wake up on its own that's the problem. I'll zip up my data folder and PM you.

Well, it doesn't appear to be a data issue because I still can't replicate it on my machine with your data. I suspect that it's probably primarily a performance issue. It could be somehow caused by media though, since I didn't have any of your media to test with. I'm not sure about a fix for it though, since I haven't been able to replicate it, unfortunately.

1 minute ago, Jason Carr said:

Well, it doesn't appear to be a data issue because I still can't replicate it on my machine with your data. I suspect that it's probably primarily a performance issue. It could be somehow caused by media though, since I didn't have any of your media to test with. I'm not sure about a fix for it though, since I haven't been able to replicate it, unfortunately.

I figured it had to do with media... so here's the thing. Running the media clean up tool gets me THOUSANDS of duplicate files that I would love to delete. But there's no option to delete only duplicates and keep the files not in use, you can only select all or select none :(