LaunchBox Community Forums

10.15-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

So I've been playing around with my Examu Ex-Board issue and came to the following results:

All scenarios are in the Examu Ex-Board platform.

1) Importing the exe files as roms into the platform causes the "You NEED to set an emulator" popup issue to appear. Expected since emulation is enabled. Disabling emulation does not prevent the popup from appearing. Not expected and annoying.

2) Importinf the exe files as "none of the above" avoids the "You NEED to set an emulator" popup issue entirely. This means the popup is not dependent on the platform name.

3) Do step 2 and then go into Manage Emulators and set Examu Ex-board as an associated platform (default) and accept out , accepting to set the emulator as default for all existing game sin the platform (I did this by accident! I had to set a lot of platforms as default to MAME...). Without editing the game metadata, go back into the Manage emulators and remove Examu Ex-board from the same associated platforms list. Now try editing the game metadata. Disable the emulation tab (since the emulator was set as default for all game sin the platform) The popup now appears, even though the game was not imported as a ROM.

So, it would appear that the issue is not platform dependent and not dependent on method of import either. It appears that disabling emulation simply isn't disabling the expectation of having an emulator.

On 5/11/2020 at 9:09 PM, Jason Carr said:

Version is available currently in the Arrange By drop down, but I see that it's not currently available in the filters side bar. Is that what you mean?

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. I would like to even be able to access it that way in BigBox listed the same as I could for Platforms, Series, Publishers end etc.

On 5/11/2020 at 11:18 PM, Jason Carr said:

This looks to be the same issue that should have been resolved in the betas, caused by the Chromium Embedded Framework refusing to shut down. Are you running 10.14 or the betas?

I got the BigBox not closing a few times today. This last one I closed BigBox and came back 20 minutes later to open LB and BB was still showing open in task manager.

9 hours ago, mcfilmmakers said:

So I've been playing around with my Examu Ex-Board issue and came to the following results:

1) Importing the exe files as roms into the platform causes the "You NEED to set an emulator" popup issue to appear. Expected since emulation is enabled. Disabling emulation does not prevent the popup from appearing. Not expected and annoying.

2) Importinf the exe files as "none of the above" avoids the "You NEED to set an emulator" popup issue entirely. This means the popup is not dependent on the platform name.

3) Do step 2 and then go into Manage Emulators and set Examu Ex-board as an associated platform (default) and accept out , accepting to set the emulator as default for all existing game sin the platform (I did this by accident! I had to set a lot of platforms as default to MAME...). Without editing the game metadata, go back into the Manage emulators and remove Examu Ex-board from the same associated platforms list. Now try editing the game metadata. Disable the emulation tab (since the emulator was set as default for all game sin the platform) The popup now appears, even though the game was not imported as a ROM.

So, it would appear that the issue is not platform dependent and not dependent on method of import either. It appears that disabling emulation simply isn't disabling the expectation of having an emulator.

My workaround was to create an "emulator" that is a batch file, you then import a dummy .txt file with the game name so that you still get metadata.

You're going to have the same issue with the following Platforms.

Spoiler

Arcade PC
DJMAX
Examu eX-Board
EZ2AC / Ez2DJ
Gaelco
GLOBAL VR PC Based
KONAMI beatmania
KONAMI beatmania : Omnimix
KONAMI beatmania DanceDanceRevolution
KONAMI beatmania DanceEvolution
KONAMI beatmania DanceEvolution : Omnimix
KONAMI GuitarFreaks & DrumMania
KONAMI jubeat
KONAMI MÚSECA
KONAMI PC Based
KONAMI pop'n music
KONAMI pop'n music : Omnimix
KONAMI REFLEC BEAT
KONAMI SOUND VOLTEX
NAMCO System ES3A
NAMCO System ES3B
NAMCO System ES3X
NAMCO System N2
Raw Thrills PC Based
SEGA ALLS HX
SEGA Europa-R
SEGA Lindbergh Blue
SEGA Lindbergh Red EX
SEGA Lindbergh Red
SEGA Lindbergh Yellow
SEGA Nu 1.1
SEGA Nu 2
SEGA PC Based
SEGA RingEdge 2
SEGA RingEdge
SEGA RingWide
TAITO NESiCAxLive
TAITO Type X Zero
TAITO Type X
TAITO Type X+
TAITO Type X²
TAITO Type X³
TAITO Type X⁴
Team Play
UNIANA

Edited by wallmachine

Just now, wallmachine said:

My workaround was to create an "emulator" that is a batch file, you then import a dummy .txt file with the game name so that you still get metadata.

But doesn't that mean you have as many emulators as you do games? That doesn't strike me as practical unless your batch file is universal...

18 minutes ago, mcfilmmakers said:

Care to share? You can send me a PM.

See if Jason & C-Beats will create a easier way to deal with these types of games so its an easier process.

Not sure if the process to fix/make better import process for games needs to go on the poll or not but for PS3 its still a convoluted process as you can't have both zipped and non-zipped games its one or the other with LB.

Edited by wallmachine

@rodww yes when selecting all games in your collection those come up to save time scanning your entire library. The following two prompts should only appear if you checked a media item for that storefront or have any games imported from that storefront (since it is possible to grab metadata from them even if you aren't grabbing media). I am looking into how fast or slow it would be to just add a check if you have any titles for a given storefront when downloading all to just remove those options and the confusion surrounding them when you have no titles that qualify.

23 hours ago, Retro808 said:

I got the BigBox not closing a few times today. This last one I closed BigBox and came back 20 minutes later to open LB and BB was still showing open in task manager.

I just got this with Launchbox. Been editing metadata all day. Closed Launchbox. 10 minutes later, tried opening Launchbox again and it said the Launchbox session was still open, check task manager, etc. Computer was idle, CPU and RAM nowhere near being full use.  Tried again 5 minutes later, still the case.

Opened task manager, Launchbox appeared as a background process and disappeared from task manager on it's own after 2 seconds.

Launchbox opened fine afterwards.... but none of my changes were saved since the last emulator edit. Using 10.14

Edited by mcfilmmakers

1 hour ago, mcfilmmakers said:

I just got this with Launchbox. Been editing metadata all day. Closed Launchbox. 10 minutes later, tried opening Launchbox again and it said the Launchbox session was still open, check task manager, etc. Computer was idle, CPU and RAM nowhere near being full use.  Tried again 5 minutes later, still the case.

Opened task manager, Launchbox appeared as a background process and disappeared from task manager on it's own after 2 seconds.

Launchbox opened fine afterwards.... but none of my changes were saved since the last emulator edit. Using 10.14

Happened to me today also.

16 hours ago, DOS76 said:

Happened to me today also.

Same thing again. Launchbox failed to save changes done about 5 minutes before it was closed initially. It seems the background process gets stuck but fails to actually do what it is supposed to be doing after launchbox closes. Launchbox hung around longer with task manager open and I can see CPU usage go from 0-0.5% and ram staying at a solid 1.45GB so it was doing something, but not saving.

I just noticed something: If I edit game metadata, platform sorting (move a platform into another category), emulator associated platforms, delete games and add games, the only thing that doesn't get saved is the platform sorting regardless of what order I do the edits in.

Even then, only the platform sorting done closer to closing Launchbox gets forgotten.

I.e. I move the platform into another category, edit emulator setting to associated that platform to the emulator and then close Launchbox. When reopening, if I get the Launchbox is already open error, the platform will be back to where it was initially but the emulator settings are saved.

I.e. I edit emulator setting to associate a platform to the emulator then move that platform into another category, and then close Launchbox. When reopening, if I get the Launchbox is already open error, the platform will be back to where it was initially but the emulator settings are saved.

On 5/12/2020 at 11:14 AM, ed20910 said:

LB would not open to grab the beta 9 update (from Beta ? if i d elete the 7-Zip folder or the contents of it.  Leaving the folder and files intact allows LB to open and update. I remember reading about an issue with 7zip but not sure if mine updated with beta 9. My x64 folder shows modified today, but none of the files in the folder show modified today. Log attached for the crashes.

Debug 2020-05-12 02-04-38 PM.log 11.28 kB · 0 downloads

Sorry, yes, I misspoke. If you delete the ThirdParty/7-Zip folder, you have to reinstall over top in order to re-create it. I don't think anyone will need to delete that folder after all.

On 5/12/2020 at 4:45 PM, OhBoy said:

@Jason Carr can the "Notes" field be added to audit? That way it's easy to tell if games are missing descriptions. 

Yes, we can add that before the official release.

On 5/13/2020 at 6:52 AM, mcfilmmakers said:

This is probably because the Scrape As value is being used. It's still using the platform name, though it uses the Scrape As value if it's populated.

On 5/13/2020 at 7:46 AM, RULLUR said:

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. I would like to even be able to access it that way in BigBox listed the same as I could for Platforms, Series, Publishers end etc.

Got it, thanks. I'll put that on the list.

On 5/13/2020 at 3:50 PM, Retro808 said:

What theme are you running? It sounds like I'm going to have to do some further testing on this issue. I haven't seen it since I made the changes in the beta, but I have seen it reported a few times since.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/14/2020 at 8:29 AM, Rlad said:

My Launchbox is getting stuck at 'Populating Games' sometimes, if i close the process in Task Manager then try again it works.

Debug 2020-05-14 12-29-25 AM.log 54.36 kB · 3 downloads

That's a new issue that I've never heard of. The log file you posted though shows that LaunchBox loaded up the main window and was running it, so it doesn't look like it's the correct log file for that instance. It would be good to see the correct log file if you have it. Have you ever run into this issue again?

19 hours ago, mcfilmmakers said:

If LaunchBox eventually disappeared on its own, that means that most likely it was still saving things in the background. Unless Windows magically killed it, idk, but I've never seen that happen. What changes did you make that didn't save?