LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox With Consoles Split Into Different Regions

Robin55

This is just a little showcase of my setup with consoles split into different regions. Completely unnecessary of course but a lot of fun. There's still work to be done on this set up but it's getting there.

Edited by Robin55
  • Like 5
  • Game On 1
  • The Cake is a Lie 1

22 hours ago, Robin55 said:

This is just a little showcase of my setup with consoles split into different regions.

Love this! Like the organisation with the different regions as playlists, the proper names of the platforms for each region, the different clear logos for the different regions and the small region flags. Nice!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/28/2020 at 12:56 PM, Darkstar said:

Really great. The dream of many collectors. Robin55, With your great arts we are so close to the feeling of handling the real thing.. your dedication to get all arts for every regions is outstanding (3d boxes, CDs...). Thank you.

Just saw your post now Darkstar. Thank you very much for the complements, I'm glad you like my work :)

• 2 weeks later...

hi, i forgot to ask: did you split your different systems into multiple subsystems? I mean 1 system like the genesis becomes 3 systems in launchbox like so: genesis (U) + megadrive (E) + megadrive (J)? Or did you arrange 1 system into different playlist for each region? I've never found a good way to display multiple regions of the same game in launchbox. Have a nice day and thanks again for showing your collection..

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 7/12/2020 at 3:25 PM, Darkstar said:

hi, i forgot to ask: did you split your different systems into multiple subsystems? I mean 1 system like the genesis becomes 3 systems in launchbox like so: genesis (U) + megadrive (E) + megadrive (J)? Or did you arrange 1 system into different playlist for each region? I've never found a good way to display multiple regions of the same game in launchbox. Have a nice day and thanks again for showing your collection..

I have mine setup he way he does in the video, what he's doing is probably what I'm doing where the main system such as "genesis" is setup as a category in launchbox with 3 platforms nested inside of it. The 3 platforms would be genesis (u), megadrive (e) and megadrive (j)

•GENESIS

-Genesis (u)

-megadrive (e)

-megadrive (j)

• 5 weeks later...

Thank to @ALIE to have pointed me this post

And @Robin55...it is a very good work and help me to organize in a better way my collection.

I have already a good collection ready but there is a lot of junks that I want to keep anyway (yeah...I think it is a sort of psicological "affaire")

So, talking here on the forum, I am thinking to create a new category and than create some list, under this new category, filling them with the products that I want.
I have seen that you can autopopulate the lists, maybe I can mark the favorites and then autopopulate them in the lists, divided for platform. Can it works?
Have you any idea about that?

thank you again!

• 3 months later...
On 9/11/2020 at 8:09 AM, darreldearth said:

I have mine setup he way he does in the video, what he's doing is probably what I'm doing where the main system such as "genesis" is setup as a category in launchbox with 3 platforms nested inside of it. The 3 platforms would be genesis (u), megadrive (e) and megadrive (j)

Is there any benefit doing it this way over having just the one platform, with the regions separated as playlists?

On 1/18/2021 at 8:06 AM, Retrofrogg said:

Is there any benefit doing it this way over having just the one platform, with the regions separated as playlists?

you wont be able to consolidate the roms/games if you use playlists, because it will mash all the regions up together unless you do it by hand which takes forever. I've run into other issues using multi disc games because I try to keep them separated from the single disc games, but the main thing is the consolidation, because anything you do to one game gets translated across all playlists, but when using platforms and separating all games into different folders based off their region it just makes it cleaner and easier to manage. 

13 hours ago, darreldearth said:

you wont be able to consolidate the roms/games if you use playlists

Sorry, what do you mean by consolidate the roms? Launchbox has a feature to auto-create region playlists so that shouldn't mess anything up, no?

Edited by Retrofrogg

Consolidating games is when launchbox merges all your games of the same name into the same file so they only show up as additional applications but all share the same box art, disc art etc. it combines all versions and regions of the same game into a single file, but yes if you don't consolidate the games then you will be able to sort them by region but you will see multiple copies of the same game when they are not sorted by region. within big box it will not look as pretty, and even within launchbox you will end up seeing 10,000 games for certain systems instead of 1,000 because of duplicates. Anyway I was never able to figure out a way to sort everything by region and have it look pretty with different box art and intro videos for each region without making different platforms. Playlists might work at times but can end up having limitations when it comes to not wanting to see multiple versions of the same game, because everything you do to 1 game effects all playlists.

this is nittpicky on my behalf but it doesn't combine anything into one file it just makes all the relevant files as one entry in LB just wanted to add that in case someone reads this in the future and might be confused by that and think LB is combining their actual files.

• 1 month later...

This is driving me crazy trying to work out how to make a setup like Robin with the one system split into regions.  Trying to work this out by trial and error but I can't work it out and have been unable to find a clear explanation anywhere else.

Sigh....can someone please (such as the op) share their method? At least for the benefit of others.

• 2 months later...
On 3/12/2021 at 2:12 PM, Raging_Daemon said:

This is driving me crazy trying to work out how to make a setup like Robin with the one system split into regions.  Trying to work this out by trial and error but I can't work it out and have been unable to find a clear explanation anywhere else.

Sigh....can someone please (such as the op) share their method? At least for the benefit of others.

Here’s an example for Dreamcast. When importing USA games change the platform name to “Sega Dreamcast USA” and the Scrape As “Sega Dreamcast”. Then do the same with Europe and then Japan. Once that is all done create a Platform Category called “Sega Dreamcast” and then put each of those 3 platforms you imported into the “Sega Dreamcast” category.