LaunchBox Community Forums

Would you pay for a plugin?

Hi all. I am wondering what the attitude around here is on asking for money for a plugin. I am asking because I have started to put in quite a lot of hours into developing a new plugin and I am thinking of putting a small price on it. Are there any other people here who have done this already?

On our forum? No, no one has actually asked anyone to pay for a plugin. There was even a post a while back with someone asking to pay someone to make a plugin and as far as we know, no one responded. The plugin that person was asking for was made and released for free by a forum member. It is not against any forum rules.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SsjCosty said:

Hi all. I am wondering what the attitude around here is on asking for money for a plugin. I am asking because I have started to put in quite a lot of hours into developing a new plugin and I am thinking of putting a small price on it. Are there any other people here who have done this already?

Hey @SsjCosty. if it's cool/useful enough for me, I would gladly pay for it. Can you tell us more about your plugin?

Thanks all.

On 11/10/2020 at 10:57 PM, alfredolvera said:

Hey @SsjCosty. if it's cool/useful enough for me, I would gladly pay for it. Can you tell us more about your plugin?

I can indeed. I made a plugin last year for setting up Youtube videos on games with the ability to play them as if they were an "additional app" for the game - quite basic, but at the time it was fine for my own needs. I have recently felt the need to update the plugin so that it gives a much better user experience, both for adding videos and playing them from BigBox, + gamepad support, + support for the GamesDB video link, + support for videos from other services like IGN and Steam and auto-detection of the original video title etc. All of it would be streaming, to save up space, but I could probably add a download feature to it too.

However this turned into a lot more work than I anticipated and it's taken up quite a big chunk of my evening time. So at this point I am not sure if should continue it, given the amount of remaining work. That's why I was wondering if maybe I could charge a small fee for it - that might give me a reason to dedicate time on this. But would anyone need such a plugin or is the current LaunchBox video functionality good enough?

Countless people have contributed in large and small ways to this scene for many years. Contributions which you have undoubtedly reaped the benefits of no small number of times. If you've downloaded a single piece of media or metadata you have. None of that stuff just appeared out of the ether. It's a scene made up of a wide array of different people good at various bits and bobs that all come together to make a better whole, and it's all niches within niches. That's the nature of the hobby (or any hobby, really). You either enjoy it or you don't (and, if you don't, why the hell are you doing it?) You're either willing to put the time and energy in for the benefit of that hobby or you're not. If you're not, my suggestion would be to stop. If you need to stick your digital coffee cup out into the crowd in order for it to be worth it to you, you might want to take a moment to consider why you're doing what you're doing.

I've spent literally thousands of hours on various projects for this scene, and continue to do so to this day, without receiving penny one. Hell, I spend money every year on these projects. And I'm married, have a mortgage, and a full time job. You enjoy the hobby or you don't. If you don't, stop spending your free time on things you don't enjoy.

My two cents.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
13 hours ago, Mr.Laor said:

I would chip in for a that.  The browser search. 

RIGHT? It would be so convenient. Especially for the most obscure games that don't scrape. Or indie games that aren't even on steam or another launcher. If we could see that its missing media, hit a button, then we can see everything we need for it right there. Or if we're just trying to find something out about the game, that's why I loved wiki peek when it worked (I even asked that dude to make this, and he hasn't answered me in a year.) It didn't work for everything though. I think with a search engine we will probably get access to every game and its info.

Maybe Jason Carr can put up a plugin bounty on the forums?!!

just an idea

• 2 months later...

I'd be down to pay for a plugin especially if it required routine updates and served a beneficial purpose not included in launchbox, such as...

1. youtube downloading (current plugin no longer works or is updated),

2, Automatic labeling of disc 1, disc 2 etc for multi disc games to be kept as separate entries in the library

3, movie scraper and trailer downloader,

Anyway that's just to name a few. I'm always down for anything that encourages more people to enhance LB and make it more user friendly.  Also be nice to see something built into LB where you could update the games database thus encouraging all users to contribute, kuz the current plugin bugs up and isnt updated. 

Edited by darreldearth