LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox for Android New Version - Beta Testing

Jason Carr

4 minutes ago, adam1972 said:

Also.. I was using the Beta LWindows Launchbox and used the android export tool a couple days ago.  I saved the file to my NAS.. I have a folder setup for Launchbox exports.  I got prompted with an official release yesterday and I went to export to android just now (so I can test on my Oneplus) and I can't access my network drives from within Launchbox anymore.  ?

To be honest, I'm really doubtful that's a LaunchBox issue; I don't think that's even possible. Maybe try rebooting?

1 minute ago, dia said:

I’m not the most technical person but I can’t write to the root folder. 

Okay, good to know. I assume you have an external drive attached to the Shield? Can you try these steps that I posted a while back in this thread to see if they help? Keep in mind that you will need to back up your external drive contents, if there's anything on it that you don't want to lose. Here's the post:

11 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Okay, I've confirmed that Sega Genesis with the genesis_plus_gx_libretro_android.so core works fine on my setups. Just tested it. So not exactly sure what's going on there. I am using the 64-bit version of Retroarch sideloaded though.

I just confirmed on my oneplus it works (configured identically to the tivo4k).  The Tivo4k runs the app and retroarch runs the games just fine.  The connection to the 32 bit sideload; even though the confirmation within Launchbox app shows a success.. seems to fail to a black screen when launching a game.  

10 minutes ago, adam1972 said:

I just confirmed on my oneplus it works (configured identically to the tivo4k).  The Tivo4k runs the app and retroarch runs the games just fine.  The connection to the 32 bit sideload; even though the confirmation within Launchbox app shows a success.. seems to fail to a black screen when launching a game.  

Okay, not sure if there's gonna be much we can do there, but if you have access to another frontend, by chance, you could test to see if loading that particular core works with any other frontends. If not, then the issue is likely somehow either a bug with Retroarch (on that device), or just a problem with the device in general.

Looking into that device, though; is it really this $40 device? https://www.tivo.com/products/stream-4k

If that's really the device that you're using, to be honest, it's a miracle that anything is working lol, since the hardware is so lowend.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

To be honest, I'm really doubtful that's a LaunchBox issue; I don't think that's even possible. Maybe try rebooting?

You sir were right.  I accidentally set LB to run as Administrator while testing something else.. I just happen to have the LB properties up.. ugh.. sorry Person Bowing on Facebook.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Okay, not sure if there's gonna be much we can do there, but if you have access to another frontend, by chance, you could test to see if loading that particular core works with any other frontends. If not, then the issue is likely somehow either a bug with Retroarch (on that device), or just a problem with the device in general.

Looking into that device, though; is it really this $40 device? https://www.tivo.com/products/stream-4k

If that's really the device that you're using, to be honest, it's a miracle that anything is working lol, since the hardware is so lowend.

No woories, always try to see if I can run my oldskool games on every android I get hehehehe, plus I got it free from Google and ETA matched it up nmicely against the Chromecast.. 
Now I can focus on my Oneplus ;)
Thank you for your time and the awesome work you're putting into all this Jason :)

• Like 1

Just released LaunchBox for Android version 0.35 with the following:

• Added support for 8 new platforms: Apple II, Apple IIGS, Commodore PET, Fairchild Channel F, Neo Geo CD, PC Engine SuperGrafx, Sharp X1, and Watara Supervision

• Added support for 25 new RetroArch cores in order to support the new platforms and better support some existing platforms as well

• Updated the RetroArch recommended/default cores list with more up to date options

Upon restarting the app on Android, you should be prompted to update to the new 0.35 release. If you're not getting prompted, make sure your Internet connection is stable and working properly. Let me know if anyone runs into any issues updating. :)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Streetwise Crew said:

I read further up you are struggling with 3DS. Dig is the same will not open a game but opens the emulator. I don’t actually mind that saves me looking for the emulators I just open my front end.  It may not be for everyone. 
Thanks for bringing Launchbox back to android.  

I see; yeah, we do have it working opening up the emulator in testing, but of course it doesn't load up the game. We could put it in in that broken state, but then we're likely to get a million reports that it doesn't work. I'll keep my ears open on that to see if we get any further feedback on it.

• Like 1

I just picked up a copy of this for Android. Just a couple questions I've run into...Sorry if they have been asked and I missed it.

Is there any way to use any core you want? I'd like to use mGBA for Gameboy and Gameboy Color but that core isn't available in the dropdown. 

Also is there a way to separate two of the same systems that use different emulators (i.e. Arcade Games that use MAME and then another section that uses FBN)? 

Thanks!

1 minute ago, Streetwise Crew said:

Any chance of Duckstation for PlayStation and Classicboy gold I use for N64. 

The Duckstation Retroarch core is now available in the new 0.35 release. Are you referring to a standalone version of Duckstation?

I will add Classicboy Gold to our list of emulators to add support for.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jason Carr said:

The Duckstation Retroarch core is now available in the new 0.35 release. Are you referring to a standalone version of Duckstation?

I will add Classicboy Gold to our list of emulators to add support for.

Yes I was talking about the standalone version of duckstation. It’s easier to use imo. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BDogg49 said:

Is there any way to use any core you want? I'd like to use mGBA for Gameboy and Gameboy Color but that core isn't available in the dropdown. 

I see; it looks like we just need to allow using mGBA for Game Boy and Game Boy Color. We missed the fact that that core works with more than just Game Boy Advance. I can add that support here shortly.

We do have plans to allow you to use a custom core name, but that feature isn't available just yet.

4 minutes ago, BDogg49 said:

Also is there a way to separate two of the same systems that use different emulators (i.e. Arcade Games that use MAME and then another section that uses FBN)? 

Unfortunately not just yet, but that functionality is also coming. We're planning on adding the ability to choose a different emulator for each game here soon.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jason Carr said:

I see; it looks like we just need to allow using mGBA for Game Boy and Game Boy Color. We missed the fact that that core works with more than just Game Boy Advance. I can add that support here shortly.

We do have plans to allow you to use a custom core name, but that feature isn't available just yet.

Unfortunately not just yet, but that functionality is also coming. We're planning on adding the ability to choose a different emulator for each game here soon.

Wow, thanks Jason for the quick response back and working on implementing that so quickly. I appreciate it. I'm really liking the Launchbox Android app. Thanks for bringing it back from the dead! 

• Like 2

Everything is running flawlessly for me aside from a few very, very minor issues that may or may not be issues with my phone or Retroarch.

It seems a lot of platforms are defaulting to "unzip roms" and while that shouldn't be a problem in itself, for some reason that results in a black screen for me when I try to start most games.  Ignore this. Turns out it's working fine. No idea what my phone was doing yesterday.

Another issue that I'm nearly positive is a Retroarch issue - if I'm messing around with Retroarch before getting back into Launchbox to launch a title, LB will launch into wherever I left off in RA - usually an options screen - and never launch the game. Again, not a huge deal and I doubt it's something that can be addressed in Launchbox.

Outside of that, everything is working very well for me. I'll be testing it a bit more extensively this coming week because I've got a bit of free time. The export system from LB really makes things easy.

Edit: I should also note that something I was going to address here (Cores not being up-to-date) has already been fixed before I even had a chance to report it. You guys are phenomenal.

Edited by darkaegis
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, darkaegis said:

Not sure if anyone is having a similar problem - but it seems a lot of platforms are defaulting to "unzip roms" and while that shouldn't be a problem in itself, for some reason that results in a black screen for me when I try to start most games.

If that's a "my phone" issue, obviously nothing has to be done, but since most of these cores support a whole bunch of zip formats, a solution could be to leave that option unchecked by default.

Ah, good to know. Yes, we do check that option by default on purpose, but I wasn't aware that it was causing an issue for anyone. It sounds like maybe the emulators aren't able to access the extracted ROM files from the LaunchBox\Extracted folder. Not sure why that would be, but we can look into it. Can you help us out and answer these questions?

• What Android device are you using?
  • What version of Android is it running?
  • What platform(s) are you seeing the issue on?
  • Where is your LaunchBox folder on the device?

9 minutes ago, darkaegis said:

Another issue that I'm nearly positive is a Retroarch issue - if I'm messing around with Retroarch before getting back into Launchbox to launch a title, LB will launch into wherever I left off in RA - usually an options screen - and never launch the game. Again, not a huge deal and I doubt it's something that can be addressed in Launchbox.

This is actually more of Android issue than anything else, but Retroarch may be able to get around this issue one way or another. But yeah, when I first started Android development I nearly dropped the whole idea when I realized that unless you close the emulator with the task switcher, it won't work properly to launch a new game. It's really quite irritating, but unfortunately I don't think there's anything we can do to fix it in the frontend.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Ah, good to know. Yes, we do check that option by default on purpose, but I wasn't aware that it was causing an issue for anyone. It sounds like maybe the emulators aren't able to access the extracted ROM files from the LaunchBox\Extracted folder. Not sure why that would be, but we can look into it. Can you help us out and answer these questions?

• What Android device are you using?
  • What version of Android is it running?
  • What platform(s) are you seeing the issue on?

This is actually more of Android issue than anything else, but Retroarch may be able to get around this issue one way or another. But yeah, when I first started Android development I nearly dropped the whole idea when I realized that unless you close the emulator with the task switcher, it won't work properly to launch a new game. It's really quite irritating, but unfortunately I don't think there's anything we can do to fix it in the frontend.

I've realized I was mistaken and everything is suddenly working just fine (stupid phone). I edited my original post to reflect that, but not quickly enough. That said, in case anyone else comes up with a similar issue.

Oneplus 6
Android 11
I was seeing it on a few - NES, SNES, GB, I believe. It presented with default settings, then worked after I switched it. Tried it out again today on SNES and it worked fine though, so it had to be a "me" issue.
Launchbox Folder is at the base level of the internal storage section of my phone - I don't believe there should be any issues getting to it (i.e. No root required).

I figured that was an Android multitasking issue, but I figured I'd mention it just in case. Not a huge deal regardless as I'm very rarely tinkering with settings after initial setup. Thanks for the fast response!

Edited by darkaegis
  • Like 1