LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox for Android New Version - Beta Testing

Jason Carr

@SupaGrova @TheMadMan007 I was finally able to replicate that issue. Here's what I did:

1. I disconnected my external drive, which is *not* configured as "device storage" on the Shield (it works when I plug it into a Windows computer, as it's running the exFAT file system).
  2. I plugged in a different external drive, and told the Shield to format it and use it as device storage.
  3. I disconnected that drive.
  4. Now when I start up LaunchBox, I get that error.

The Shield warns you when you disconnect a "device storage"-formatted drive that things won't work. So I think the Shield moves important data and files over to the drive when you use it in "device storage" mode. As far as I'm concerned it's a really stupid way of doing things, but I guess it's just the way they've done it.

That said, if I re-connect my external drive that is formatted in "device storage" mode, then I am able to start up LaunchBox just fine, so at least on my model, it should work fine in that case so long as you don't ever disconnect the drive that you formatted in "device storage" mode. But that seems to be a scary and unfortunate way to do things, and it's not that simple either, because I've also noticed that after I connect my "device storage" mode drive, the Shield will sit in "scanning" mode on that drive for ages before it actually becomes available. During that time, nothing is able to access that drive. You can confirm this with a file manager app. If you're not able to access the drives on your system with a file manager app, then LaunchBox won't be able to access them either.

Here's what I would recommend doing (though I recognize that this is likely to be a pain in the rear):

1. Connect your "device storage"-formatted drive to your Shield.
  2. Go to Settings > Device Preferences > Storage and wait for your external drive to no longer read "Scanning...".
  3. Once it reads "Total space" instead of "Scanning...", select it and select the option to "Erase & format as removable storage".
  4. Proceed through the prompts, taking note that you might lose some apps and/or data. You can always back them up first by connecting the shield to a computer via USB if needed.
  5. After the Shield is done formatting the device, you should be able to run LaunchBox just fine. You will now also be able to connect the drive up to your computer to put stuff on it if needed.

Let me know if that works for you guys, or if you'd rather not format your external drive.

Good day team....I installed the beta on my Samsung Tab E tablet and for some reason it just crashes. I don't know what i'm doing wrong...it installed great on my phone.

I restarted my tablet and changed the permission to storage i cleared data and still no cigar. Im out of ideas atm...

3 hours ago, Nally said:

Good day team....I installed the beta on my Samsung Tab E tablet and for some reason it just crashes. I don't know what i'm doing wrong...it installed great on my phone.

I restarted my tablet and changed the permission to storage i cleared data and still no cigar. Im out of ideas atm...

How old is the tablet? How much RAM does it have? I have noticed that my old Galaxy Tab S2 from 2015 can sometimes run out of RAM and crash the app, depending on how many background apps are running.

2 hours ago, SupaGrova said:

I'm sorry but I followed the above steps and received the same result..

Okay, I'm stumped. What happens when you open a file browser app on the device? Are you able to view and edit files at all? The FX file browser is one that I've found that's easy to navigate with the controller.

Hey all, beta 7 is out now with some fixes for lower-end devices. This new beta may work on some additional devices that it didn't work before on. I was able to get this version working properly on my old tablet from 2015.

I also sent out a new download email to everyone just in case, for anyone who wasn't able to run previous versions of the app. Any testing you guys can do would be appreciated. :)

@Nally @SupaGrova @TheMadMan007 @Nora

• Like 1

Oh, one more note: I did attempt to get Citra/Nintendo 3DS working, but unfortunately neither Citra nor Citra MMJ work properly with frontends (they start up but they don't launch games). If anyone knows otherwise or knows of a frontend that works properly with them, please let me know.

5 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Hey all, beta 7 is out now with some fixes for lower-end devices. This new beta may work on some additional devices that it didn't work before on. I was able to get this version working properly on my old tablet from 2015.

I also sent out a new download email to everyone just in case, for anyone who wasn't able to run previous versions of the app. Any testing you guys can do would be appreciated. :)

@Nally @SupaGrova @TheMadMan007 @Nora

The new beta loads faster and works better on my GPD XD Plus than 6. Thanks Jason! Hopefully I can figure out the whole NVidia Shield issue.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Oh, one more note: I did attempt to get Citra/Nintendo 3DS working, but unfortunately neither Citra nor Citra MMJ work properly with frontends (they start up but they don't launch games). If anyone knows otherwise or knows of a frontend that works properly with them, please let me know.

Thanks a lot for the latest update! Beta 7 is now loading up noticeably faster on my Galaxy S10. Also, I can confirm the same issue (that you mentioned) with the two variants of Citra. When you load them up with the Dig frontend, it doesn't launch the games. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nally said:

Hey Team.....any one having problems importing arcade games to android....for some reason i have some arcade games im trying to import but not working for me.....

What is happening when you try to import them? We'll need as many details as possible in order to help.

30 minutes ago, Nally said:

@Jason Carrwhen i get to the proceed with import....it just stays on the "Please wait while scanning for game files to import" page i kept it on for about 20 mins and nothing...

It is possible that that part could take a very long time with the Arcade platform on lower end devices, due to the number of games. It might be worth trying it again and waiting longer. But it's also possible that the device is running out of resources. It makes sense that it could be pushing the device to its limits.

Hi, i would like to know, if it is possible to add a network path to each platform on android. So that if you have your games on your pc and your pc and android device is on the same local network, instead off having all the games on your android device you enter the path for your games folder for instance your SNES games on your pc and it fetches it, but not store the game on your android device and then you play it/or sream it from the network. The game can maybe also temporarily be placed on your device and removed once you are done playing it. something like that

1 minute ago, AVissie said:

Hi, i would like to know, if it is possible to add a network path to each platform on android. So that if you have your games on your pc and your pc and android device is on the same local network, instead off having all the games on your android device you enter the path for your games folder for instance your SNES games on your pc and it fetches it, but not store the game on your android device and then you play it/or sream it from the network. The game can maybe also temporarily be placed on your device and removed once you are done playing it. something like that

It is possible, but there are a number of challenges with it, so it wouldn't be fast to implement. The Nvidia Shield does have some kind of a custom network implementation, but my current understanding is that most Android devices do not have any network implementation for Windows networking. So downloading things from the Internet is easy, but not from a local network. Request noted though. :)

Hey, just downloaded and installed the Android version and just have some feedback.

After using DIG on Android for awhile, I've grown used to using the L1 and R1 buttons on my controller to access the different menus, and think that'd be really cool to see in LaunchBox as well.

Second is some clarification on what the Delete option does on games. Does it just remove it from LaunchBox, or does it actually delete the game from my device? If it's the latter, I would like to request a Remove option to handle the former option. This is mainly prompted from it putting just about any kind of Android package under the Android section, and I'd rather not accidently delete something from my device that I don't want to.

Other than that, so far things are working and looking great.

• Like 1