LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox for Android New Version - Beta Testing

Jason Carr

To get started for the first time on the Android version, I wanted to try exporting a couple of games from the Windows "Export to Android Wizard", and in choosing the option to "Export the 2 selected Game(s) Only", it still appeared to try to export the entire library (I stopped the export after the temporary folder reached 13gb after several minutes). Have I found a bug?

Forgot to add, Windows version is 11.17 (fully licensed), Android version is 0.37. Device is a OnePlus BE2025 running Android 11.

Edited by jeffrose5
added versioning

18 minutes ago, jeffrose5 said:

To get started for the first time on the Android version, I wanted to try exporting a couple of games from the Windows "Export to Android Wizard", and in choosing the option to "Export the 2 selected Game(s) Only", it still appeared to try to export the entire library (I stopped the export after the temporary folder reached 13gb after several minutes). Have I found a bug?

Forgot to add, Windows version is 11.17 (fully licensed), Android version is 0.37. Device is a OnePlus BE2025 running Android 11.

I too get this with my MAME collection, even though it is a non-merged set. I think I remember it being a limitation last time Android development was going on. I would guess it is due to a lot of MAME rom sets being merged. Just a guess until Jason answers your question. All my consoles work fine though, as expected - since the roms are much simpler when compared to the MAME rom architecture.

22 minutes ago, ItchyRobot said:

I too get this with my MAME collection, even though it is a non-merged set. I think I remember it being a limitation last time Android development was going on. I would guess it is due to a lot of MAME rom sets being merged. Just a guess until Jason answers your question. All my consoles work fine though, as expected - since the roms are much simpler when compared to the MAME rom architecture.

Yup, I just tried a non-MAME rom and the export worked perfectly. Thanks!

There seems to be a problem with launching Sega System 16 roms through Launchbox using Retroarch Plus and the Mame 2003 plus core.  I can launch these games directly from Retroarch Plus without issues and play them fine.  The 3 games that I have tested that will not launch and launch into a black screen are Outrun, Fantasy Zone and Space Harrier.

Again the games launch without issues directly from Retroarch Plus.

10 minutes ago, Glenn72 said:

There seems to be a problem with launching Sega System 16 roms through Launchbox using Retroarch Plus and the Mame 2003 plus core.  I can launch these games directly from Retroarch Plus without issues and play them fine.  The 3 games that I have tested that will not launch and launch into a black screen are Outrun, Fantasy Zone and Space Harrier.

Do you have Launchbox unzipping those games before launch, cause you want that option off for Arcade games?

On 8/28/2021 at 5:36 AM, mrcleen74 said:

I was wondering if there's a way to specify an emulator to an individual game? Definitely have a few mame games that need different emulator to work.  Also is there a way to edit the game name. Had a few I had to rename to get the correct metadata. Not a big deal for small collection on a phone but if you have an Nvidia shield with a massive collection could be daunting. Also for a feature request is there any way to incorporate the bezel project but on an individual game level. My phone doesn't have a micro SD slot so downloading the whole zip file takes up more space than I care to use. I'm trying to streamline my games down to a minimum so less space more fun. Lastly launchbox rocks. Best frontend ever.

On 8/28/2021 at 10:04 AM, NOVASPRITE said:

I asked for the same thing.  It's coming in a future update.  I have the same problem separating my neogeo arcade, cps arcade, and mame arcade sets.   Also the different games that run better on one mame core versus another.  

Yes, we'll definitely be adding the option here soon to specify a different emulator on a game-by-game basis.

On 8/28/2021 at 1:03 PM, J2chulo said:

how did you find the correct name for the files/roms? I also have few roms where my launchbox on my pc picked up the metadata and downloaded the images, but launchbox on my samsung galaxy tab 2 is not and there is no way to manually search for the images and arts or manually add them. I think this option should be added in a future update, also the option to specify core emulator for certain roms like @Novasprite said. I noted that the android version of retroarch is missing lots of cores but that ain't launchbox problem

Yes, this is planned as well. We'll be adding the ability to customize metadata and media here soon.

18 hours ago, jeffrose5 said:

I have a sizeable Google Play balance and would love to purchase the license on there. Could you consider offering just the license key on Google Play?

Also, do you plan on offering any discounts to fully licensed Windows users?

If we ever end up back on Google Play it will be the free version only. We're not interested in doing anything paid on Google Play anymore (and I'm hesitant to even put the free version up there). We just did not have a good experience on Google Play, and I'm not convinced that we need it. It really does make everything much more annoying and makes it so much harder to get stuff done.

Anyways, sorry for the bad news on that. We currently don't have any plans to combine discounts, but it is something that we can consider for the future.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jeffrose5 said:

17 hours ago, ItchyRobot said:

17 hours ago, jeffrose5 said:

Yup, I just tried a non-MAME rom and the export worked perfectly. Thanks!

Yeah, just to confirm, if you export Arcade/MAME from the desktop, it will always export the full ROM set. This is because MAME ROM sets are not always merged (most of them out there aren't), which means that picking and choosing ROMs won't work. I'll put an item on the list to allow for that though.

27 minutes ago, Glenn72 said:

16 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Do you have Launchbox unzipping those games before launch, cause you want that option off for Arcade games?

7 minutes ago, Glenn72 said:

I just checked and the uncompress option is not enabled.  I also noticed same issue with Mario Bros which is not System 16, but other games seem to launch fine.  

That's quite strange, not sure where to begin troubleshooting that. I think it's more likely to be a Retroarch bug than a LaunchBox one, honestly.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Glenn72 said:

Ok, it is strange that it affects some games but not others.  I'm using Retroarch  Plus 1.9.8 with official cores from the play store.  Hopefully this will get fixed eventually by Retroarch team.

Yeah, it might be worth trying to use a sideloaded version of Retroarch instead, to see if that makes any difference.

5 minutes ago, Glenn72 said:

J just tried with Retroarch 64 sideloaded and still same issue with Mame 2003 plus core.  I like this core for the cd samples in Outrun and Final Fight, and Final Fight works.  Strange,.

Strange indeed. Honestly, I have no idea what's going on there.

1 minute ago, bbweiners said:

Hey @faeran. I purchased the Android version before. Am I still able to get in on the beta testing for this re-release? I'm going to have a bit of time to mess around with it, so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

It's out officially now, so you can just download it from the main site. Email us at support@unbrokensoftware.com with your Google Play email and we can get you your license. :)

• Thanks 1