LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox for Android New Version - Beta Testing

Jason Carr

14 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

For anyone who has had issues starting the app on Nvidia Shield devices, we finally have the issue fixed. Version 0.36 is out now and should resolve the remaining issues.

If you need a download link, here you go:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7lhx9yq4dexto20/LaunchBox-Android-0.36.apk?dl=0

Please let me know if anyone is seeing any additional issues on the Nvidia Shield (or other devices), with version 0.36.

@Kuro Houou @SupaGrova @TheMadMan007 @dmaker @dia @smitchell6879

I can confirm that this version has installed on my NVidia Shield without any issues. Thanks @Jason Carr for the speedy fix! When I get a chance I will add some roms.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Streetwise Crew said:

Hi Jason. Going back to the 3DS and not including it because it will only open the emulator not a game. 
Redream is doing the same for me. Only opens the emulator not a game. 
not a problem to me but have I got something wrong ?

I'll see if I can get it working. We're getting a lot of reports to add those emulators, so I've got a new plan. I'm going to go ahead and add them, but put a big red note on them that says what the issues are. Then at least everyone knows that it's not the fault of LaunchBox.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Streetwise Crew said:

Hi Jason. Going back to the 3DS and not including it because it will only open the emulator not a game. 
Redream is doing the same for me. Only opens the emulator not a game. 
not a problem to me but have I got something wrong ?

I can open citra as an emulator in the Android banner then select the game.  An extra step for now.  I'm running version 0.36 and the Dreamcast games open just fine with the Redream emulator setup.  Doesn't need to open the emulator.  

Version 0.37 is out now with the following:

• Improved region prioritization for image downloads, which should help the images that are downloaded to better match the region of the game and/or the prioritized region

• Added 23 missing platform banners for some of the more obscure platforms; thanks to Faeran and other members of the community for their work on the images

• Added support for ClassicBoy Gold and Dolphin MMJR

• Added support for Duckstation, Citra, and Citra MMJ (though unfortunately all of these emulators are broken and will not actually launch games from a frontend; we can only launch the emulator itself)

• Added support for Mupen64Plus FZ and Mupen64Plus FZ Pro (though they also appear to be broken on some devices; games will launch fine on an Nvidia Shield TV, but they fail to launch with a "Failed to open ROM file for reading" error on some other devices)

• Added support for Nintendo Game Boy and Nintendo Game Boy Color to the Retroarch mGBA core

• Added problematic emulator warnings on some emulators to help notify users of broken emulators

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NOVASPRITE said:

I'm guessing this will be fixed once we have arcade system categorizes.  I put my MAME neogeo games into the neogeo aes and mvs banners and launchbox can't locate 90% of the box art.  They are the MAME 2003 sets. 

Thanks, will review this.

• Thanks 1

I'm guessing this will be fixed once we have arcade system categorizes.  I put my MAME neogeo games into the neogeo aes and mvs banners and launchbox can't locate 90% of the box art.  They are the MAME 2003 sets. 

Did you check the box to use MAME metadata for these?

I can open citra as an emulator in the Android banner then select the game.  An extra step for now.  I'm running version 0.36 and the Dreamcast games open just fine with the Redream emulator setup.  Doesn't need to open the emulator.  

Are you using the payed version of Redream or is there any settings to change ?

1 hour ago, cobhc said:

Is there any way currently of importing ROMs from network storage on Android TV?

Not currently, but that is on my list. See this thread:

9 minutes ago, TheMadMan007 said:

Just installed it and it's working flawlessly! Thanks for the hard work and bringing this version back.

Good to hear. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was wondering if there's a way to specify an emulator to an individual game? Definitely have a few mame games that need different emulator to work.  Also is there a way to edit the game name. Had a few I had to rename to get the correct metadata. Not a big deal for small collection on a phone but if you have an Nvidia shield with a massive collection could be daunting. Also for a feature request is there any way to incorporate the bezel project but on an individual game level. My phone doesn't have a micro SD slot so downloading the whole zip file takes up more space than I care to use. I'm trying to streamline my games down to a minimum so less space more fun. Lastly launchbox rocks. Best frontend ever.

4 hours ago, mrcleen74 said:

I was wondering if there's a way to specify an emulator to an individual game? Definitely have a few mame games that need different emulator to work.  Also is there a way to edit the game name. Had a few I had to rename to get the correct metadata. Not a big deal for small collection on a phone but if you have an Nvidia shield with a massive collection could be daunting. Also for a feature request is there any way to incorporate the bezel project but on an individual game level. My phone doesn't have a micro SD slot so downloading the whole zip file takes up more space than I care to use. I'm trying to streamline my games down to a minimum so less space more fun. Lastly launchbox rocks. Best frontend ever.

I asked for the same thing.  It's coming in a future update.  I have the same problem separating my neogeo arcade, cps arcade, and mame arcade sets.   Also the different games that run better on one mame core versus another.  

7 hours ago, mrcleen74 said:

how did you find the correct name for the files/roms? I also have few roms where my launchbox on my pc picked up the metadata and downloaded the images, but launchbox on my samsung galaxy tab 2 is not and there is no way to manually search for the images and arts or manually add them. I think this option should be added in a future update, also the option to specify core emulator for certain roms like @Novasprite said. I noted that the android version of retroarch is missing lots of cores but that ain't launchbox problem