LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox for Android New Version - Beta Testing

Jason Carr

2 hours ago, foleyjo said:

I've just noticed this thread. I previously purchased the app from play. Do I need to email my details or is that only to test the beta version, ie will you be sending out license keys for everyone who purchased the app after beta testing is complete?

We would love the ability to automatically send out license emails to everyone who previously purchased, but sadly we don't have that option. Google Play got restricted because of GDPR and we can no longer see the email addresses of users who purchased the app. It's really dumb, because we can *search* for an email address and see if a user purchased, but we can't just get a list of emails who purchased. Go ahead and send an email to support@unbrokensoftware.com @foleyjo.

Beta 5 is out now with a couple of things:

• Improvements to the quality of the generated thumbnail images (some devices like the Nvidia Shield TV were not using bilinear filtering as they should have been when generating the smaller thumbnail images)
  • Fix for platform images not showing up properly when the Scrape As field was set to an empty string (sometimes caused when exporting to Android from the desktop)

How are the betas working for everyone? We're hoping to put out the official release some time next week.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Received my email with my licence code, much appreciated! 

Installed on my Nvidia shield and I'm so happy to have the app again! Everything is working well, just one thing though. I've picked the wrong emulator for one of my consoles but I can't find a way to change it. I am sure I used to have to click on the 3 dots up the top right of the screen but for some reason I can't get my controller to go up to that option. I have tried with the shield remote and a bluetooth controller but can't seem to go to the top right of the screen.

Anyone have any ideas?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PunkRocker316 said:

I noticed when trying to set the Mupen64Plus FZ emulator for N64 games it didn't find the emulator. It's because I have the pro version and not the free one. Can this emulator be added to support the pro version of Mupen64Plus FZ as well please?

So previously I was able to test the old version of Mupen64Plus FZ successfully, back a year ago or so, but the newest version does not seem to be working for me at all on my S10+. It refuses to launch any of the games with a "Failed to open ROM file for reading" error. I believe this is because Mupen64Plus "upgraded" to the new Android data access model, which in turn basically screws us and makes it so we can't use a frontend with it at all. This issue is part of what turned us off from Android in the first place; the new Android data model gets in the way of being able to share ROMs with emulators.

So honestly, I don't know if there's any way to make either the free or the pro versions work. I'm going to try the other frontends that are available to see if any of them work to launch either version. If not, it's probably safe to say that it's not happening.

• Like 2

I've confirmed that neither Dig nor RESET Collection work with the latest versions of Mupen64Plus FZ or FZ Pro, so unfortunately, it looks to be a lost cause. The emulator developer ruined any chance for frontends to be able to launch games when they changed to the new Android storage model.

This issue is Google's fault, through and through. The new storage API is horribly designed.

• Like 2

I got the beta working great and have absolutely no issues with LB. Quick easy copy over as soon as I connect my phone, so easy to setup and works perfectly! The only real issue that I have has absolutely nothing to do with Launch box. Retro Arch just kind of stinks on Android and I can't get used to the on-screen controls. Has nothing to do with the app though. It is so great having a portable version of my home arcade in my pocket with such a beautiful UI. Such an excellent job so far!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Retro_Rage said:

I got the beta working great and have absolutely no issues with LB. Quick easy copy over as soon as I connect my phone, so easy to setup and works perfectly! The only real issue that I have has absolutely nothing to do with Launch box. Retro Arch just kind of stinks on Android and I can't get used to the on-screen controls. Has nothing to do with the app though. It is so great having a portable version of my home arcade in my pocket with such a beautiful UI. Such an excellent job so far!

Good to hear. I would highly recommend getting some sort of a game controller device for your phone. It's more annoying to carry around but it really does make the difference between playable and worthless, at least to me. I can't use the on-screen controls to do anything really. Check out ETA Prime's channel on YouTube if you need some reviews. :)

My only gripe, and it is minor, is that there doesn't seem to be direct support for Retroarch Plus? It does work when I set the emulator to Retroarch 64bit Sideloaded, but this is a bit non-intuitive. I can't imagine why anyone would not be using Retroarch Plus, so it should really be supported out of the box.

34 minutes ago, The Chaos Maker said:

Questions about the licensing. I paid for Launchbox Andoird back before it was taken down and have not refunded it because you deserve the money to keep creating this amazing frontend. Will I and any other people that have not refunded the app get the licenses for "free"?

Yup, absolutely. Please email us at support@unbrokensoftware.com with your Google Play email address and we'll send you a forever license. We wanted to do that automatically, but Google Play won't give us a complete list of email addresses for privacy reasons.

1 hour ago, Tomkun said:

My only gripe, and it is minor, is that there doesn't seem to be direct support for Retroarch Plus? It does work when I set the emulator to Retroarch 64bit Sideloaded, but this is a bit non-intuitive. I can't imagine why anyone would not be using Retroarch Plus, so it should really be supported out of the box.

We are planning on recommending the full-fat sideloaded version of Retroarch, and not any version from Google Play, because of the Google Play restrictions. We're also considering adding a feature that automatically downloads and installs the sideloaded version of Retroarch, but that won't make it into the 0.34 release.

Regardless, yes, we can add support for that from Google Play.

• Like 2

I only use the play store versions because they are automatically updated. Retroarch's built-in updater is not user friendly at all and I could never get the hang of the fdroid version.

Another thing:

Could you add an option to create a .nomedia file in the image directories? My phone's album is filled with screenshots and whatnot now, which I don't really want to happen.

Thanks!

Edited by Tomkun
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Beta 6 is out now with the following:

• Added Retroarch Plus from the Play Store

• Added a .nomedia file to the root LaunchBox folder so that the game images don't show up in the Android image galleries

Fantastic! Talk about a fast response. Thank you so much!

• Like 1