LaunchBox Community Forums

How to make LaunchBox and Big Box update all emulators automatically?

starmaster

8 hours ago, starmaster said:

Hi,

Does anyone know a program or something to make updates automatically? I mean, updating each emulator can be tedious . . .

This is one of the reasons we suggest using RetroArch when possible. Updating the core is simple, and if you have to update RetroArch itself, you just update it once and then you have updated your emulators for the majority of your systems in one go.

18 minutes ago, starmaster said:

I tried RetroArch and its so complicated. I was hoping for an easy way to update all. Maybe a command or something.

What you want is simply not feasible. Every emulator has a different update method, and every emulator has its own website where you download from. Automating that would me a mammoth task, that will quite likely immediately break when the URL of the websites change. Retroarch is actually very simple and your best bet here for waht you want.

Ok, I don't want to force you to do something like that. Just wondering if there is a way but I will do what you said.

Alright, I will look into RetroArch again. Can you or anyone suggest a guide for which is best emulator / core for each system to be included for RetroArch? I already done my research for emulators but not on cores for RetroArch. Some guides are outdated or incomplete, etc.

I will check the tutorial section for merging RetroArch with Launchbox and Big Box. And how to update it too.

13 hours ago, starmaster said:

Ok, I don't want to force you to do something like that. Just wondering if there is a way but I will do what you said.

Alright, I will look into RetroArch again. Can you or anyone suggest a guide for which is best emulator / core for each system to be included for RetroArch? I already done my research for emulators but not on cores for RetroArch. Some guides are outdated or incomplete, etc.

I will check the tutorial section for merging RetroArch with Launchbox and Big Box. And how to update it too.

Emulation General Wiki (gametechwiki.com) 

I usually use this. It shows which emulators are suggested for the system, and if it has a RetroArch core. 

5 hours ago, starmaster said:

I already added RetroArch and cores but the strange thing is that I select Flycast (Dreamcast core) and it doesn't work when I try a game on launchbox? I went to the 'Edit Emulator' and set up, etc but when I try a game, I see RetroArch sign showing up and then crash. What did I do wrong?

Does the game play when ran directly in Retroarch without LaunchBox?

I found a way to run the game from RetroArch. But it did the same thing as in LaunchBox.

It opens up and I see the RetroArch Icon and info and the game screen start up and crash. Barely last a second before the crash.

The RetroArch successfully set up the other emulators and they works. Just the Dreamcast core isn't.

I am confused?

Edited by starmaster

• 1 year later...

late to the party but..

So I know launchbox itself doesn't have a way to update all the various emulators you are using, but I'm wondering if there's a way to use a program that does.
On my PC I use Windows/LB, and on my Steamdeck I use Linux/Emudeck. 

One thing that's really nice about the Steamdeck desktop mode is the Discover Software Center. There's an updates section right in there that shows updates that are available for all of the emulators.
All you have to do is click "update all" at the top, and it automatically downloads/installs any available updates for all the Emudeck emulators (retroarch, yuzu, ryjinx, cemu, dolphin, rpcs3, pcsx2, duckstation, mame, citra, etc.)

It makes it super easy to keep everything current. 

neil9000 mentioned that it would be difficult to accomplish since website URLs can change

On 9/16/2021 at 6:11 PM, neil9000 said:

What you want is simply not feasible. Every emulator has a different update method, and every emulator has its own website where you download from. Automating that would me a mammoth task, that will quite likely immediately break when the URL of the websites change. Retroarch is actually very simple and your best bet here for waht you want.

So that has me wondering if the people that work on Emudeck are updating the URLs for the emulators updates/download links regularly. Or if there is some coding they did that takes care of that, or just a feature of the Discover app in Linux. Maybe the emulators in Emudeck act like retroarch cores so it's easy to just download those "cores".

I've seen some programs that are supposed to look for updates to any software you have installed for Windows.  Not sure how effective any of them are.  (Ketarin was one: might only do fixed URLs)

But if anybody knows of any changes or new programs/ways, to update multiple programs in one go, that have come to light in the past year, I'd be more than interested to get some info on em. 

Edited by CuzzinChizzy
  • Like 1