LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox 13.11 - Beta Thread

faeran

Hi everyone,

We have a new beta out that fixes a number of issues that have cropped up since releasing 13.10. We are looking at this cycle to be a quick hotfix release so these issues don't linger while we wait for the next set of features to be built out. Below is the full changelog.

Beta 1:

• Improvement: The Bulk Edit Wizard will now skip the welcome page when making additional changes
  • Improvement: The GOG login windows will now explain the steps required to successfully import your games
  • Fixed: EA Storefront games would not launch properly in some situation
  • Fixed: Rare Amazon auto-import error
  • Fixed: Additional documents launched from Big Box using a third party document reader
  • Fixed: Context menus within LaunchBox opened via the keyboard's "Apps" key would instantly close
  • Fixed: Achievements in LaunchBox's Game Details pane would double when popping the pane in and out of its own window
  • Fixed: Storefront Automatic Imports would import installed games in some situations where it shouldn't

Beta 2:

• Fixed: Turning the Cloud Sync feature off and on again would sometimes cause incorrect changes to local sync data
  • More work has been put into the fix for EA app storefront games using the automatic import feature

For users that are having issues where EA games are not launching, but instead you get taken to the EA app, we would love to hear from you on whether this beta fixes that particular issue.

As always, thanks to everyone who takes the time to help us beta test these releases.

• Like 4
  • Game On 1

13 minutes ago, hawkfanz said:

Hopefully 13.11 can fix the issue where the startup video only shows a black screen!

If you are referring to the intermittent black screen issue that some users are experiencing, it's not something we covered in this beta and is something we haven't yet looked into. It's on a list to tackle, but no ETA at the moment.

If you are ever wondering what's included in a beta or release, the changelog should hint at the areas of the app we've touched 😉

• Like 3

1 minute ago, faeran said:

If you are referring to the intermittent black screen issue that some users are experiencing, it's not something we covered in this beta and is something we haven't yet looked into. It's on a list to tackle, but no ETA at the moment.

If you are ever wondering what's included in a beta or release, the changelog should hint at the areas of the app we've touched 😉

Just hearing it's on the list makes me so happy!  Thank you for all the work that you and everyone else does on LaunchBox.

• Like 1

Thanks for the point release! I'm still noticing oddities with GOG cheevos. The badge now shows correctly, but the achievements don't show in the game details section. (It does show for Steam and retro games.)

no_gog_cheevos.PNG

I don't know if it happens to you, the retroachievements of the PSP console don't show them to me but the emulator does detect that it has achievements, I use the CSO format in my games. There is some solution.

All the best.

Not sure if it's related to the latest beta, but after updating to it I found out that Launchbox cannot find some of the games that are in its database.

For example, when I go to https://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/ and search for "Burnhouse Lane", I find it: https://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/games/details/382426-burnhouse-lane

But when I try to add "Burnhouse Lane" in the app itself, it says that no games with this title can be found.

The same applies to Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader and, probably, several other titles I can't remember right now.

P.S. I have of course made sure that the latest game metadata package is downloaded.

image.thumb.png.8fdbe7b62781aec0fb68ec40294462a0.png

Edited by glaymore

@glaymore The DB only updates the XML files you grab when updating your local data once every 24h. The website updates instantly. If you are within that 24h period what you're seeing is what is the expected behavior. That being said I haven't looked if that was the case for the record in question. Also if the game is Steam you may need to do the following work around because that game doesn't have a Steam ID associated to it via the DB:

Open Edit Game for the game in question
Go to Launching tab
Cut (CTRL+X) the Application Path
Go to Metadata tab and search for the record, selecting it if found
Return to Launching tab
Paste (CTRL+V) the application path back into the game
Press OK when done to save changes

Beta 2 is out with the following changes:

• Fixed: Turning the Cloud Sync feature off and on again would sometimes cause incorrect changes to local sync data
  • More work has been put into the fix for EA app storefront games using the automatic import feature
  • Like 2

@C-Beats This behavior persists for several days already, so I don't think it's the problem.

Actually, I looked into the latest Metadata.xml, and its entry on Rogue Trader looks a bit strange as it has no DatabaseID field that, I believe, is mandatory. The entry on Burnhouse Lane also has no DatabaseID. So the issue is probably not related to the current beta, but rather to incorrect  generation of Metadata.xml. Should I move this discussion to another forum section, like "LaunchBox Games Database > Troubleshooting" ?

image.thumb.png.8f083957df095f9fbaf85e2e6b82e0f6.png

Edited by glaymore

5 hours ago, glaymore said:

@C-Beats This behavior persists for several days already, so I don't think it's the problem.

Actually, I looked into the latest Metadata.xml, and its entry on Rogue Trader looks a bit strange as it has no DatabaseID field that, I believe, is mandatory. The entry on Burnhouse Lane also has no DatabaseID. So the issue is probably not related to the current beta, but rather to incorrect  generation of Metadata.xml. Should I move this discussion to another forum section, like "LaunchBox Games Database > Troubleshooting" ?

I was able to write a parse program that identified several records in a similar state. I let the team know and we'll take a look into it.

• Like 1

Morning!

Not really a build issue per say, more of an adjacent issue, but please hear me out :)

There's a problem with the metadata XML file. A lot of newly added Windows or MS-DOS games have the same ID, and not possibly on purpose.

Specifically, 4194+ games have the ID 439018. Example: Deep Diving Simulator (Windows).

It seems these games cannot be found within LaunchBox (maybe the parsing of the XML doesn't want to deal with duplicate IDs?).

I also noticed that the local file doesn't get updated when triggering a download through the EDIT window, but will update if triggered through the menu.

Edit: Just noticed that previous METADATA.XML-related discussions. Hopefully this get resolved soon.

Edited by Belmont

22 minutes ago, Belmont said:

Specifically, 4194+ games have the ID 439018. Example: Deep Diving Simulator (Windows).

Not true, only the 1397 games we identified were missing an ID in the previous conversation have that DB ID. The return number you're seeing in your search is because of other data tied to those IDs (like images). I've let the team know and we'll see what went wrong and get it corrected.

You are correct. I had done a count on " <DatabaseID>439018</DatabaseID>", but it also picked up images and alternate names. It is indeed 1397 games.

Happy this is being looked at. Sorry for the misinformation.

1 hour ago, Belmont said:

Sorry for the misinformation.

No need for apologies, you correctly identified we had an issue. It should now be corrected. You'd need to go to Tools > Download and then select the bottom most option to download the corrected XML file.