LaunchBox Community Forums

Arcade 3D Boxes 2.0 3.4

(13 reviews)

22 Screenshots

About This File

Happy Christmas or Yule brothers!

Arcade 3D Boxes 2.0

Important: Press follow button in the upper right corner to get notified for any future updates to this project, future updates to this page will not be pushed to the "What's New" section.

I was inspired by the Mame 3D Boxes by @Robin55 and @Reevesad and the work by @spycat and @MadK9 

At first I experimented to convert Robin's work to a darker color as it fits my dark colored setup better, one thing let to another and was helped enormously by @Robin55 in the process of automation and more, if it wasn't for all his help and work this project wouldn't have happened, thanks again so much brother! \m/

The 3D boxes are mostly for the Mame set (could include other emulators as well) but only includes Arcade video games, no pinball, fruit machines and such.

Features:

• Covers based on official flyers, instruction flyers or fan art, customized official artwork and more. I've hunted down previously artwork missing from databases and/or very rare flyers, original resolution of these images can be low some times.
  • Each box has a logo for the game, if it was missing I've hunted it down or extracted it from images (I upload these logos to the database as well)
  • Each box has a logo of the company that either developed or published it (some flyers may have a different publisher from another region, bit confusing at times)
  • Each box is manually color corrected, cleaned and optimized
  • Some games have a second alternative version, made from cabinet side art, marquees or from a different region for example

Please remember if you miss boxes to also check the naming convention of the file and if it is the same as the most recent version in the database. Any entry with "The" in front (Like The Astyanax) will be included in the QRST pack.
NOTE! : After installing the images you have to select all (or any alphabetical range) arcade games (CTRL+A = select all) go to Tools and click 'Refresh selected images', let it load and cache and the games should now display the right 3D boxes. 

Hope you like :)

Credits
Thanks go out to anyone contributing and making art for the launchbox games database.

Thanks for any help, encouragement and advice:
@Robin55 @spycat @MadK9 @Reevesad @Jason Carr @Kondorito @zetec-s-joe @Fablog @andyco47 @mikty @PoloniumRain

Special thanks to:
@neil9000 and @Retro808 for those logistics ;) \m/

Edited by Mr. RetroLust

What's New in Version 3.4   See changelog

Released

- Added DoDonPachi SaiDaiOuJou thanks to @PoloniumRain for making it

• Like 43
  • Thanks 23
  • Haha 1
  • Unusual Gem 8

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Brilliant, thanks so much! Look forward to trying these when I get home, and then to the update packs to fill in the gaps!

By the way, I use these but was thinking - why do we use 3D boxes (when these kind of boxes didn't exist for arcade games) instead of media that did exist like the flyers? Keen to hear others' opinions. 

Edited by Retrofrogg
  • Like 1

Thanks bro :)

My opinion: I normally prefer to use the realistic media, as in cps3 cdrom cases for example, but I love 3D images more than 2D, so in the end I went for it seeing how cool it looked when others made 3D boxes. In short: I think it looks cool in my collection lol

Yes, my thoughts exactly! I've put in a feature request for true 3D boxes (i.e. ones we can rotate and zoom in/out) so hopefully that will be implemented someday!

Just added the lastest pack; excellent work as always! I think the packs I'm looking forward to most are the update packs, as they will satisfy my OCD to complete the gaps :D

• Like 1
  • Game On 1

16 minutes ago, Retrofrogg said:

Just added the lastest pack; excellent work as always! I think the packs I'm looking forward to most are the update packs, as they will satisfy my OCD to complete the gaps :D

Lol yeah OCD gets the better of me as well but am a bit frustrated now I see how much work is still to be done. Around 1650 boxes still to be made, this time the workflow is different, have to find flyers or make artwork, cutout/find the missing logos (more missing then not), at this point it feels like I reached the end of the tunnel only to see a longer tunnel ahead. Kinda bummed out by this, not having a good day today but maybe soon I'll have fresh new energy again to work further.

If u need flyers for the boxes i have around 7gig of stuff if that will help pal.

i have around 5070 flyers let us no if u need any pal.

Edited by andyco47
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, andyco47 said:

yep pal never been on them sites. i got the lot off pleasuredome

Cool thanks bro! They could be of great help then, only question now is how to transfer the 7gb, by wetransfer?

lol i no thats the problem just let us no wot u need and ill see wot i can do. may be zip a few up at a time for the ones you need if i have them.

58 minutes ago, andyco47 said:

lol i no thats the problem just let us no wot u need and ill see wot i can do. may be zip a few up at a time for the ones you need if i have them.

I think the best/fastest way would be zipping em up in various zips and send them through wetransfer, you can send 2 gb at a time so it's probably 3 to 4 packs then. Me making a list of 1600+ games that having missing artwork and you finding and collecting these 1600+ would be too much work for the both of us. In case you want to send them to me by wetransfer I'll pm you my emailaddress. Ps I guess those flyers on P-dome will not be available for starting members right? If they are I can dl them myself ofcourse lol

1 hour ago, andyco47 said:

2 minutes ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

I think the best/fastest way would be zipping em up in various zips and send them through wetransfer, you can send 2 gb at a time so it's probably 3 to 4 packs then. Me making a list of 1600+ games that having missing artwork and you finding and collecting these 1600+ would be too much work for the both of us. In case you want to send them to me by wetransfer I'll pm you my emailaddress. Ps I guess those flyers on P-dome will not be available for starting members right? If they are I can dl them myself ofcourse lol

Depending on where they originally came from you could upload them to the download section of the forums then other users could use them as well. :)

Sorry but i needed to delete that torrent file, that is not allowed on the forums.

1 minute ago, andyco47 said:

here is the torrent file.

Ok @andyco47 I see some scans for arcade and downloading, I'm afraid it will be the usual flyers used by the known flyer websites seeing the date of the packs, but we'll see.

Depending on where they originally came from you could upload them to the download section of the forums then other users could use them as well. 

@neil9000 You mean uploading downloads from that "PD" site here ? Wouldnt that cause complications with people? Seeing as I am still quite a noob to this community I don't want to take risks. But if it wouldn't I see quite some more stuff that could be uploaded to the downloads section, many GB's and thats a bit of a problem as launchbox servers aren't very speedy on my end. Takes about 15 minutes to upload 500mb.

Edited by Mr. RetroLust

1 minute ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

@neil9000 You mean uploading downloads from that "PD" site here ? Wouldnt that cause complications with people? Seeing as I am still quite a noob to this community I don't want to take risks. But if it wouldn't I see quite some more stuff that could be uploaded to the downloads section, many GB's and thats a bit of a problem as launchbox servers aren't very speedy on my end. Takes about 15 minutes to upload 500mb.

Well i posted that before i knew where they came from, so no we don't want them on the forums im afraid.

• Haha 1

Update: I've done some thinking to make this project something that will not drain every bit of energy out of me lol I think it's best if I just do the ones that have scraped media and leave the ones without any media alone, unless I see some popular games and that I have in my personal mame collection (Abscam, ASO aka Alpha Mission for example and so on) and then once done release the tools, template and resources so people can work to satisfy the fine thrills of collective OCD-ism. ? The messed up thing is I have 1600+ files to work on with mostly empty scraping results and that's the full mame collection with bootlegs/clones collapsed with parent titles, I don't even want to know the enormous number when it's uncollapsed.  I'm sorry if I disappoint anyone with this, the Mame ocean is just too big of a bitch to sail all over. <quote for the history books)

• Like 2

Sorry to hear this Mr R, but if you're not enjoying it overall any more then it might be time for a rest! Yes, releasing the templates would be a good idea so that others can contribute...though you've set the bar quite high with the quality!

• Thanks 1

Version 1.6

•  Added pack "0ABCDE - UPDATE PACK" Enjoy! ? After all update packs are done I'll release the resources and template so people with the skills can make their own or any missink ones.

NOTE! : After installing the images you have to select all (or any alphabetical range) arcade games (CTRL+A = select all) go to Tools and click 'Refresh selected images', let it load and the games should now display the right 3D boxes. 

• Like 1