LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

So if you deleted the platform but not the games, all of the games still exist in LaunchBox. You need to delete the games then a platform in LaunchBox. So LB thought you were trying to import duplicates. And yes, we saw that TGDB is up again, but no we will not be switching back to use them. From the next version onward we are not utilizing TGDB at all. Our database is a mirror of theirs however, we just need to alter some of the importing rules.

duhmez said Version 5.8 Beta 7. NOt sure if you want my feedback here or if this is already a known issue. The new beta version which just removed thegamesdb I did a fresh install and imported a full set of USA Snes roms (Goodsnes) with default settings and it imported only 1 game successfully. Maybe this is expected as you are building the db int he beta verstion still? Not sure so I post it here. I am now retrying by enabling the wikipedia option and try again see how it goes.
Did you have EmuMovies enabled by chance?

keltoigael said I dont know if this is a bug or not but with the latest beta client every NES game that I imported that started with a number, 720, 1942 etc got meta data attached correctly, no images and appears in the All tab but not in the NES library. I was able to go into the games and download images but they still appear in All but not in NES.
I ran a quick test on this (imported a complete NES library), and the titles that start with a number imported fine into the NES platform, so yes, I think this must have been because the games existed before the import.

Jason, I know you're pretty busy with other major features you're working on but... is there's any possibility to add an option to auto-adjust row's height based on taller icon in the row, just like modern Windows editions does? It would be pretty nice to have this option that could let us have more items listed on screen when using a large library of games. I'll attach screenshots of my actual N64 collection in LaunchBox and a Windows folder with those images, just for comparison purpose. Captura-de-pantalla-84.jpgCaptura-de-pantalla-83.jpg Thanks in advance. :)

Minor issue I ran into on a fresh install. Bigbox mode would not remember my configuration while importing with LB in the background. After the import was finished I shutdown LB, retarted BB, edited settings, exited and everything saved correctly. Not a big deal but worth mentioning and maybe already a known issue.

scree said Hi GatoSoft. I don't think LaunchBox has this as an auto- adjust feature. You can reduce row gap manually though. See Tools, Options, Spacing.
Thanks for asnwering, Scree. I really appreciate it. :) I know about the setting you're talking about, but I was talking about different heights between rows, according to the taller image of every row. Basically, in the screenshot you can see it clearly how Windows manage to adjust every row depending on that and how in LaunchBox, whatever the row height I assign, it's always the same for every row in the grid. Sorry if I can't find the correct way to put it on words, but my english is not as good as my native spanish. ^_^U

Hi GatoSoft. Sorry if I misunderstood you. Yes I see that LaunchBox uses the tallest box aspect ratio to work out a common vertical spacing for all rows. And this applies across all platforms. So one platform using just one tower box means that other platforms using all landscape style boxes are forced to use the same spacing. I had the same problem with my imported box covers having different aspects; some tall, others wide and the rest sort of squarish. I ended up manually sourcing my box fronts so that they all have a common tower style 5:7 ratio. I started with The Cover Project and then went elsewhere for anything they didn't have. This was ok for me with a tiny collection of about 470 games across 15 platforms. For big game collections this solution takes far too much time and effort. Also, it's not a solution if you prefer your N64 boxes and maybe others in landscape style. Hopefully a solution might be put in place soon.

I did an import for Windows games and I see that you can't pick which folder your games are in. I would get some of my softwares scraped thinking they are games. Any chance we have to an option like we would with importing Roms?

cash84 said I did an import for Windows games and I see that you can't pick which folder your games are in. I would get some of my softwares scraped thinking they are games. Any chance we have to an option like we would with importing Roms?
So there is always the add button for manual adding, but no, there probably won't be a way to add Windows games like roms. It unfortunately doesn't work the same way. We can certainly always improve it but I don't know if there will be an official ROM like scanner for windows games. You could always work around it. Do a normal Rom Import, add files. You can go through and add them 1 by 1, set the platform as PC, pick an emulator and finish the import. Then when it is over, click your PC system name (or what ever it is) on the left. Ctrl + A to highlight all of the games, right click -> edit, this will bring up the Bulk Edit Wizard. Change "Use Emulator" to no. There is also Drag and Drop.

I don't know if this is a new bug or not but I just downloaded a few manuals but after downloading them the option to view them from the context menu is greyed out. I went into my LB folder and the manuals are there and I can open them outside of LaunchBox. EDITSorry about this post it seems that they just weren't available seconds after I added them they are fully accessible now. It must take a minute for the XML to register the changes.