LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

Still having major issues with this beta, but I can get it to work if I delete my LaunchBox.xml file and let it create a new one, but I really don't want to have to add back all my systems and games! Cry I am attaching my old XML for Jason to look at to see if there is any issues with it.

Ok, this is weird, I have actually managed to get the latest beta working now, I accidentally overwrote some of the files installed with 5.8 beta 1 with the files from an old install of 5.7, while trying to restore to a previous backup of 5.7. I am not sure which files though because my backup software went crazy and crashed! But when I then ran launchbox it opened fine, and it is up to date with 5.8 beta 1! I have confirmed that videos are working in the sidebar so it is definitely the latest beta. I can still get it to crash by loading my previous XML file, so there must have been something changed in the XML to allow it to run. I am attaching both the working XML and the crashing XML so you can see what has changed, and a screenshot of the error I was getting. Cheers, Scott Crash-Error.JPG

SentaiBrad said That would be really cool, but don't we have to create one for each game? That would take a huge amount of time. Also, how do you sort that stuff? I personally have a huge library, my system would grind to a halt if suddenly all of my games (or even half) were live tiles.
Live Titles doesn't work in that way, they are for Windows 8 / 8.1 / 10 Live Title so it could show the last games added or favorites or takes any metadata from our collection @Jason Carr Thanks for the update

Installed 5.8 beta 1 ok. Videos are playing fine in the right sidebar. However, when I close this sidebar any selected game plays it's video. Not visible, obviously, but audio can be heard. Also, if I close the right sidebar and exit LaunchBox and then restart LaunchBox, any attempt to select a game, open the popout box or open the right click menu brings up the error shown in reply 1067 above and LaunchBox is forced to close. This applies to both boxart and list views. Now, if the right sidebar is enabled, then all works fine. Rolled back to 5.7 no problem.

To elaborate on what @scree is reporting I choose a random game for TG16 and added a single video to it. If I disable the game details in view stop LaunchBox and then restart it I can then select any one of my games without an issue until I choose the one game that has the video then the error message pops up and LaunchBox closes. Then once restarted if I open the game details sidebar and then choose that game I don't get any kind of error.

Lmagnus87 said
SentaiBrad said That would be really cool, but don't we have to create one for each game? That would take a huge amount of time. Also, how do you sort that stuff? I personally have a huge library, my system would grind to a halt if suddenly all of my games (or even half) were live tiles.
Live Titles doesn't work in that way, they are for Windows 8 / 8.1 / 10 Live Title so it could show the last games added or favorites or takes any metadata from our collection @Jason Carr Thanks for the update
I know what Live Tiles are I use Windows 10... but someone was showing tiles for games not for LaunchBox, and having a Live Tile just cycle through your last 4 or 5 games seems... pointless. The live tile can show certain stats, like Library Size, System Count etc.

calle81 said Videos work great for me but it would be nice if it was possible increase size of the video in the sidebar. Awesome work btw :)
Right now you increase the size of the sidebar, click to another game and go back the game with the video and it will be bigger. He notes this as known problems. Increasing the video bigger than the sidebar doesn't make sense.

I don't know if it would be possible to do a live tile for a desktop app I don't think I've ever seen one that has one and I've been using Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 since the first Windows 8 beta. Actually after searching I found this which seems like it would be possible for certain desktop apps whether or not there would be enough interest or not to try to make it work with LaunchBox. If it randomly displayed games from my collection that would be kind of cool but it wouldn't take any type of priority over anything else I'd like to see done.

I'll except both terms. If the one on the left is considered a sidebar which it is by name then the games details sidebar for the one on the right seems accurate to me. I almost called it the games detail pane in an earlier post but was unsure that it would be correct either way its just splitting hairs.