LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

CADScott said Ok, this is weird, I have actually managed to get the latest beta working now, I accidentally overwrote some of the files installed with 5.8 beta 1 with the files from an old install of 5.7, while trying to restore to a previous backup of 5.7. I am not sure which files though because my backup software went crazy and crashed! But when I then ran launchbox it opened fine, and it is up to date with 5.8 beta 1! I have confirmed that videos are working in the sidebar so it is definitely the latest beta. I can still get it to crash by loading my previous XML file, so there must have been something changed in the XML to allow it to run. I am attaching both the working XML and the crashing XML so you can see what has changed, and a screenshot of the error I was getting. Cheers, Scott Crash-Error.JPG
I am getting this same crash again, which is weird, because I was running Launchbox most of the day at work (Fixing and downloading artwork), but when I got home and transferred the latest changes to my laptop, I am once again getting the crashes. I have had to roll back to 5.7 for the moment.Cry

Is there a way to disable and/or mute the videos? The audio continues to play even after launching a game which is kindof annoying. They also seem to freak out if you have a long game description and scroll up or down in the details while the video is playing. I'd just as soon disable them until the kinks get ironed out but haven't found a way to do that yet. I haven't been getting any crashing though, thankfully.

SentaiBrad said
calle81 said Videos work great for me but it would be nice if it was possible increase size of the video in the sidebar. Awesome work btw :)
Right now you increase the size of the sidebar, click to another game and go back the game with the video and it will be bigger. He notes this as known problems. Increasing the video bigger than the sidebar doesn't make sense.
Ok, thanks. Missed that somehow Embarassed

Thanks everyone, apologies for the delay on the fixes for the videos issues. Got plenty of feedback so it should be easy enough to resolve the issues. So Brad and I created a merch store through Spreadshirt. I'll give you guys the link early just for a test run if you're interested. We may be opening it up tomorrow, but I'm not sure. Please don't share it quite yet, but feel free to order something if you like. https://www.launchbox-app.com/merch There's an extra shirt that shows up (the first one in the list) that we can't seem to get rid of, which is quite irritating. Spreadshirt seems like they're having some issues with updating the products so it's been more trouble than it should have been. We're hoping to add more products eventually. The duffle bag is more of an experiment right now as well (the logo isn't quite right).

The Logo isn't quite right because it has to be off, it requires special printing methods and that method requires a very specific type of file, regular PNG's wont do. As well, SpreadShirt is having some difficulties right now, so the Store might not load properly right now. Give it sometime and check back later if it wont load for you.

Alright, new beta is out that should fix most of the video issues. There still may be an issue or two, but I wanted to get this out due to the issues. Should fix the issue with the video still playing after switching filters as well as the crashes. And the resizing issues.

Another new beta out. Fixed a few more issues with the videos including music/video conflicts and the issues with the videos still playing when switching to a game without a video. Also in this beta is improved error reporting for the EmuMovies imports disappearing issues. They should no longer just disappear but report an error instead (though at this point I'm not sure how useful the error will be). If anyone gets an EmuMovies error on importing, please let me know.

Hi Jason. I just grabbed 5.8 beta 3 (I missed out on beta 2). This is working just great regarding the LaunchBox mode videos and all the issues seem to be sorted. The only thing I can report is that there's approximately a 2 seconds delay between selecting a game and it's video playing. However, this may be due to my old system, although I don't remember such a delay when I tried beta 1. I also like that the video is now placed above the notes, although the screenshots are still below the notes. Can't wait for the video feature to be added to the details popup, as I use this rather than the right sidebar. Edit: Looks like I spoke too soon. When the video is playing in the right sidebar, launching a game only seems to briefly kill it (video replaced by a black window)before it resumes playing while the game also runs.

5.8 beta 3,windows 7 64bits: 1. Can't play video in same Partition with launchbox: Game video path: '..\StarCraft2CinematicTrailer_EnglishUS.avi'2.jpg
  • After restart launchbox:
  • 1.jpg Manually change Game video path to 'D:\StarCraft2CinematicTrailer_EnglishUS.avi' then worked! But in edit windows still display the Game video path: '..\StarCraft2CinematicTrailer_EnglishUS.avi' 2:Lanuchbox can't remember the volume setting,it reset to system default value after restart launchbox. 3: Should loop play the game video.

Video Scaling. https://i.imgur.com/jSZsToh.png We have scaling for when a video is bigger than the box, but what if a video is small? This video's resolution is tiny, 160 x 120. I'll probably replace it later since it will be easy to find probably, but scaling video's up in general would probably be a good idea. Obviously, keep aspect resolution and don't go bigger than the box allows.

Thanks everyone. Another new beta is out that hopefully fixes/adds the following: Options GUI for auto-play, show, etc. Now pauses on deactivate window (as well as on playing games) Restarts video on resume focus if paused Loops Full path no longer required? In addition I've added show/hide options for all elements in the sidebar, as well as the missing file name in the sidebar. I'll address the remaining issues (including the video scaling for low-rez videos) soon. :)

The sound on the video stops now when you are changing from one platform to another but I see a new problem. For an example if a video is playing for game on the snes platform and then you choose the sega genesis platform the sound from the video stops like it is supposed to unless you choose manage emulators from the tools menu and then when you hit close on the manage emulators menu the sound from the video will start playing again from the previous snes platform even though you are on the sega genesis platform now.