LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

Jason, is there a feature available that I'm not aware or is it in your plans to get the config menu accessible only through key combinations instead of using the same ESC key to navigate through the games/platform? I think it should stop at the Platforms and never get back to config, so people with kids could protect that area better. In my home arcade I have autohotkey set to only produce ESC when the furthest keys apart in the control panel are pressed together for example, so unless they team up, they cannot get to the menu, ever :) I'm talking about big box, btw.

Not necessary, niche really. But I extract to a flash drive, for instance, to save the rewrites (I leave the games I play the most extracted). I also was reading that you can turn extra RAM into temporary storage and extract there. Personally, I don't think I'd go that far. Still, the feature is a good one to have, thanks for that!

Thanks @scree, yes, it is not enabled by default. You have to enable it for each emulator. When you add a new emulator, LaunchBox should automatically check that box if the emulator is recognized as needing it, but for your existing emulators you'll have to manually go and check the box. Also see the change log.

Thanks, Derek. It shouldn't need to be installed, no. Should support 7z, rar, or zip. Can you give me details on what you're trying to launch? The platform, emulator, ROM, what is in the zip file, etc. Also, what do you see in the LaunchBox\7-Zip\Temp folder when that error message is up?

It is Sony PS1 using eSPXe Ace Combat 3 the .zip .rar and .7zip contain one .cue and one .bin file. I do see the 7zip folder and even though the emulator never opened there is a .cue and a .bin file for the game in the .temp file

Deleted the temp files and tried again worked perfectly with .7zip and .rar archive using the .zip produces the error every time. Edit Made a fresh .zip out of my extracted folder instead of converting my .7zip file now all 3 formats are working.

Ok I started testing load time and I found that the .zip and the .rar only work one time after that the error returns if you then delete it and make a new .zip or .rar that works one time and then breaks again 7z work every time. My load time test results were 7z with the file located on my local computer 23 count .rar on the local computer 8 count (but only worked once) .cue from my network server instantly .cue locally also instantly .zip locally about 10 count (only works once) The .cue/.bin combo is around 730,000kb while the .zip is 365,000kb, .7z is 300,000kb and the .rar is around 330,500 so yeah you save a ton of space using the compressed files but you sacrifice at least so far load time I don't know how it will effect performance. Did more testing after typing the 1st part of this and this is what happens if you launch the .zip and the .rar files the temp files deletes when you exit the emulator if you launch the .7zip it doesn't delete if you then launch the .zip or the .rar file without manually deleting the temp file 1st they no longer work even if you delete the file manually afterwards they both stop working if you do delete it then they both keep working. The .7z file works over and over again even though the temp file is not deleted. So basically if you load the .7z file and let it load completely when you close out of the emulator then the temp file doesn't disappear and it breaks the other files for some reason. Now I don't know if closing LB and restarting it then the files would work again and they aren't actaully broken but LB won't work with them until restarted.

Tested some more and now I can't seem to break the RAR file but the behavior remains true for the .zip
Spoiler
dual-temp-files.JPG
This test is inconclusive because I can't duplicate it all of the time I did get the .RAR to break again it is when the temp file for that didn't clear and I tried to use the RAR again closing LB and restarting it make your file usable again though I did test that also now I've seen the .7z file clear a few times in a row so it isn't every time that the temp file doesn't clear.