LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

Riffman81 said
Jason Carr said Awesome, thank you @Riffman81. Didn't know you were part of the team. :)
Yeah, I'm one of the moderators... Thought I mentioned it before but maybe I didn't ;) Circo, has been updating the site for the past few months off and on when he has time, I think he's just doing routine maintenance tonight and sorting through new submissions, etc. Btw Jason, Launchbox has become my main FE and I wanted to personally thank you for all the work and effort you put into this amazing software! I have totally left HS in the dust. I may not post much but I visit the forums often and try my best to stay in the loop. The new views are looking fantastic and I really appreciate your dedication to the community. Haven't had a chance to test the latest beta yet, it's on my to-do list.
Thank you Riff, granted I know im not Jason (he's much more sexier than I), but I also do appreciate the kind words as well! I would be lying if I said you leaving HS for us doesn't stroke our ego a bit. In fact we've been seeing that sentiment a lot lately, but I can personally say that Jason devotes his life to this and he strives to make this as amazing as he possibly can. I'm just here to keep him on track (our users do this too of course), and to try and take care of everything else as much as I possibly can so he can keep going on. Working with Jason is easily one of the best expierences of my life and it would be fair to call him family now. Sorry if I got sappy today, this is like my 3rd or 4th sappy post... I just want everyone to know how thankful we are for everyone in our community. Personally gives me a place where I feel like I belong.

Lol, @wallmachine, are you for real? No, the entire program does not come from open source. If that was the case I would've been just sitting on my hands for the last two years. In reality very little of the code has come from open source; the vast majority has been written from scratch. That said, if a library is already available with a license that is okay to use (like MIT), I'm definitely going to go ahead and use it instead of reinventing the wheel and wasting everyone's time.

I just thought of something that will probably improve the looks of the metadata in BigBox. If you look at that picture of Kodi you see that the names of the metadata categories like Year, Genre, etc is colored to separate them from the actual info of the film. I think that this will definitely look really good in BigBox as well. You even could make the color customizable for the users so that we would have something like a rudimentary color scheme in BigBox. Unfortunately is every bug I found and reported in this thread in the last 2 or 3 days still there. I hope you don’t have forgotten them because ReleaseCandidate sounds so final for me. But nonetheless like always thank you for all the work you put in LaunchBox :)

Here you go: https://www.launchbox-app.com/forum/features/launchbox-beta-testing/page-89#p18362 https://www.launchbox-app.com/forum/features/launchbox-beta-testing/page-90#p18365 https://www.launchbox-app.com/forum/features/launchbox-beta-testing/page-91#p18489

Jason Carr said Bedwyr, thanks. It's jasondavidcarr@gmail.com. @DOS76, the platform clear logos folders probably shouldn't have multiples in them, no. Were there mismatched images in the folders? That does sound like you found and resolved the problem. Still strange that there would be multiples in there. @ALIE, as I commented on YouTube, I didn't expect anyone to miss that view. We can discuss it though; I still have all the code for it in the project, but the image caching for it was glitchy and I didn't like the view at all so I just got rid of it and replaced it with the CoverFlow with details view. What is it about the previous view that you like more than the new CoverFlow with Details view? Thanks!
I think it was the smaller covers on top I liked. it was just easier to get an overall look of things. Question about the cover flow when u enter a large collection for the first time only I hope, I have to scroll through them all to have the images appear. Is there a way of having LB load everything at start up?

Jason is it possible to maybe have a dedicated post for sharing images/styles. I would love the console logos this guy uses. PM has been send to him.
wallmachine said BigBox takes around 15 seconds to load till the "initializing BigBox" then around another 15 seconds to actually open. Also the wheels look far apart, and the box images look squashed since the last few updates on the pages showing. Furthermore the platform images take around 4 seconds to load up when scrolling through the wheels. Lines on wheel images 2 The following two platform images landed in a good spot, maybe an example? 3 4 The following platform image landed in a bad spot, maybe an option to center it? or maybe with your idea for people to create custom themes maybe a drag around functionality instead of that markup language i think it was you mentioned? 5

wallmachine said
ALIE said Jason is it possible to maybe have a dedicated post for sharing images/styles. I would love the console logos this guy uses. PM has been send to him.
This is what they look like @ALIE CARBON VERSION: Carbon STEEL VERSION: Steel
cool mightSmilet be a stupid question. but how do you use them individually.

SentaiBrad said
Riffman81 said
Jason Carr said Awesome, thank you @Riffman81. Didn't know you were part of the team. :)
Yeah, I'm one of the moderators... Thought I mentioned it before but maybe I didn't ;) Circo, has been updating the site for the past few months off and on when he has time, I think he's just doing routine maintenance tonight and sorting through new submissions, etc. Btw Jason, Launchbox has become my main FE and I wanted to personally thank you for all the work and effort you put into this amazing software! I have totally left HS in the dust. I may not post much but I visit the forums often and try my best to stay in the loop. The new views are looking fantastic and I really appreciate your dedication to the community. Haven't had a chance to test the latest beta yet, it's on my to-do list.
Thank you Riff, granted I know im not Jason (he's much more sexier than I), but I also do appreciate the kind words as well! I would be lying if I said you leaving HS for us doesn't stroke our ego a bit. In fact we've been seeing that sentiment a lot lately, but I can personally say that Jason devotes his life to this and he strives to make this as amazing as he possibly can. I'm just here to keep him on track (our users do this too of course), and to try and take care of everything else as much as I possibly can so he can keep going on. Working with Jason is easily one of the best expierences of my life and it would be fair to call him family now. Sorry if I got sappy today, this is like my 3rd or 4th sappy post... I just want everyone to know how thankful we are for everyone in our community. Personally gives me a place where I feel like I belong.
My comments go for you as well Brad. I appreciate all the work you put into the RSS and tutorial videos on YouTube and your dedication here on the forums. You've always been there when I've had a question or two to help out, no matter the time of day :) I'm really excited with the direction that LB and BB has taken, and although I appreciate the "HyperSpin" styled views/themes, I hope LB maintains its user friendly setup and look. I think HyperSpin kind of set the standard back in the day and see to many other FE's trying to look like HyperSpin. My answer to that is if you like HyperSpin and setting up RocketLauncher, than by all means use that. No need for HyperSpin clones. I'm not saying BIgBox is heading there, I'm just saying I've noticed other frontends straying away from their originality and looking more like HS. I like BB because it's cake to get up and running and looks just as beautiful IMO. Again, not to knock HS, I've used it for years and loved the time spent with it... But for me, it's out dated and either 2.0 needs to arrive or it needs to be retired. Jason has been a great developer and more developers could learn a thing or two from him. You shouldn't start a project and promise things and then disappear for months or even years with no explanation. That's been my experience with HS. Anyway, off to test the latest beta. I'll report here if I run across anything unusual with my setup. So far, every update has been running great on my rig.

Thanks everybody. I appreciate that, @Riffman81. I don't really desire to make Big Box look like Hyperspin, but always have enjoyed the Hyperspin wheels. That said, I hate how Hyperspin constantly goes back and forth between the wheel and the fullscreen themes. To me it's way too "in-your-face" and jumpy. But again, that's just one opinion. @wallmachine All I can say is that's not typical performance. Sorry if I've asked before, but what are your system specs? @CriticalCid Thanks for the reminder on those issues. I can tackle those today. :) @ALIE, we already have a thread for sharing images I believe, but hit up @SentaiBrad and he can sticky a new one if we need one.

What we really need are image "sets". In other words a person downloads a .zip file with all the .png's for the theme in it, then can load that single .zip as a theme in Big Box. The .png's inside are named using a standard template so they are recognized by Big Box. That would be your basis for simple submission and use of theming. Is this already possible?

Brad C Awesome thanks. @Jason I have a question the Hyperspin like game names/wheels do they come only from the updates for LB or are they apart of Metadata scan normal or emuMovies. Just wondering if I should regularly do a scan.

ALIE, anything in LaunchBox or BigBox gets it's metadata from the Local.xml, downloaded from the LaunchBox Games Database and the Images come from a mix of places, mostly the LaunchBox Games Database. We update the database with new images when we find them, but some images I believe come installed with LaunchBox, like console images if I recall. So everything is plug and play and swappable.

Yes, @ALIE, there haven't been any major additions images-wise for the wheels as of yet. I noticed earlier this week that EmuMovies doesn't have any wheel art at all, so the only images that are available currently are coming from the LaunchBox Games Database. The best source for those images is clearly directly from the Hyperspin forums, though; so it's relatively easy to download a package of wheels for a particular system and then dump them in the Clear Logo folder for the platform. That said, very soon I would like to batch import these into the LaunchBox Games Database, so that is coming.

Just put out another new beta; this beta has updated French and Brazilian Portuguese translations thanks to @Wattoo and @AFaustini, as well as hopeful fixes for @CriticalCid's LaunchBox VLC crash on opening Big Box and the issue where switching views wasn't working properly for non-platform games list views. Cid I did some quick research on playlist support and I haven't gotten anywhere as of yet; I haven't found anyone discussing it so I'm guessing support just isn't there for that yet. I also looked into the "dropping" images in the wheels when switching pages but haven't yet found a solution for that. I wouldn't call that a deal breaker for the release, but I'll keep playing with it to see if I can fix it before 6.0. As it stands I'm planning on putting out the official release tomorrow morning to coincide with the weekly Saturday emails that go out. Please let me know if anyone finds any deal breakers in the mean time. Thank you everyone, I really appreciate all the time you guys put into testing this stuff. :)