LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

wallmachine I missed your middle paragraph there. The folders should be automatically created whenever media is added to them by LaunchBox. Is that not working for you? Or are you just trying to add media manually immediately after adding a new platform?

Bedwyr said Just got a new error in the latest beta (13). System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Not found: Videos\Super Nintendo (SNES)\Ultima VI - The False Prophet (USA).mp4 The video in question does exist and I grabbed it from EmuMovies. And it does play in BB, but has occasionally not consistently played. Perhaps there's some encoding shenanigans going on in the file that VLC choked on? For reference the file I'm using is located on the server at /Official/Video Snap Packs (480p)(HQ)/Nintendo SNES (Video Snaps)(HQ-480p)(EM 20160209). Toss this in the bugtracker?
Hmm, I wonder if it's because we're not using an absolute path. I should look into that. Added that to my list. :)

wallmachine said is it just me or the coverflow design screws with the eyes? Also added 36 systems and its laggy as. Also when deleting a platform it doesn't delete the videos/images etc
@wallmachine, honestly that kind of feedback doesn't really help me at all. Please try and be specific with feedback, and try to stay positive. I don't like getting discouraged because of negative comments, especially ones that I can't do anything about because I don't have any details. What specifically about CoverFlow is screwing with your eyes? What in particular is laggy? LaunchBox or Big Box? Where are you seeing the lag? Videos and images aren't deleted on purpose right now (don't want users losing stuff that they don't want to lose). We could probably prompt for that though when deleting games/platforms.

Soundtrackgeek said I'm getting a strange thing whenever I delete a game and right after that tries to edit another game. I get this message: I have to click OK and then go CTRL+E again on the file I wanted to edit. Any way to remove that? It would make sense if the game I was going to edit wasnt actually in there anymore, but it is.
Ah, that's interesting. I'm guessing what's happening is that somehow the "deleted" game is still selected in the GUI, but obviously hidden and you can't get at it. I'll take a look at that. :)

wallmachine said anyone else find the site slow to load?
I have a fix for this in progress. It's hard to justify spending too much time away from LaunchBox/Big Box development, but I am working to fix this. It's really only the forums that are a problem, but the forums are of course probably the most important part of the site.

Thanks @wallmachine, I see, sorry for misreading you. It's hard to keep track of everything. Per LaunchBox coming back up after the Options screen, does it get stuck unpainted like those screenshots? Or is it just displaying like that permanently? The black bars should no longer be there in Big Box when using VLC. They shouldn't be there in Big Box for Windows Media Player either. In LaunchBox, the black bars will still show up for the VLC engine, but shouldn't be there for Windows Media Player. I see what you mean about the folders; can you add a ticket for that to Bitbucket to create those folders immediately after a platform is created? It does sound like performance issues are the cause for that stuff in Big Box. It's smooth on all my machines, so not sure what the trouble might be. Does it help any if you reduce the CoverFlow Quality setting?

Jason Carr said
Bedwyr said Just got a new error in the latest beta (13). System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Not found: Videos\Super Nintendo (SNES)\Ultima VI - The False Prophet (USA).mp4 The video in question does exist and I grabbed it from EmuMovies. And it does play in BB, but has occasionally not consistently played. Perhaps there's some encoding shenanigans going on in the file that VLC choked on? For reference the file I'm using is located on the server at /Official/Video Snap Packs (480p)(HQ)/Nintendo SNES (Video Snaps)(HQ-480p)(EM 20160209). Toss this in the bugtracker?
Hmm, I wonder if it's because we're not using an absolute path. I should look into that. Added that to my list. :)
That would be very very weird. The video file is in the same folder as the others and it's always that particular clip that causes issues. Before the current beta what I noticed is that it simply wouldn't load. That is: - It would play if I just started up BB. - But after entering and exiting an emulator it would not load the video. - It would continue playing the previous video (the one either above or below). So navigating up from UN Squadron it would still play the UN preview, and then the following clip one place up from U6. - LaunchBox *always* would play all videos correctly (as far as I can tell; results may vary). Now, however, it's just that error message.

Ugh, sounds like a nasty bug to fix. Or actually more sounds like a bug with VLC itself. I always blame my code first, but you're right, if it's only that video that's causing the issue, then it probably isn't the relative path issue. All I can figure is it must be a bug with VLC. I assume you're still getting the error with beta 14?

Jason Carr said Justified I'm hoping the issue you were seeing was just due to a crappy 64-bit version of LibVlc we were using. I've updated it to hopefully resolve that error. Let me know if it's working for you now.
Thanks Jason, I already tested in v6 b14 with VLC and WMP, in both cases videos playback just fine and the menu and game browsing lag seems to be gone as well! Smile

Jason Carr said Ugh, sounds like a nasty bug to fix. Or actually more sounds like a bug with VLC itself. I always blame my code first, but you're right, if it's only that video that's causing the issue, then it probably isn't the relative path issue. All I can figure is it must be a bug with VLC. I assume you're still getting the error with beta 14?
Downloading now. Will let you know if it crops up again.

Bedwyr said
Jason Carr said Ugh, sounds like a nasty bug to fix. Or actually more sounds like a bug with VLC itself. I always blame my code first, but you're right, if it's only that video that's causing the issue, then it probably isn't the relative path issue. All I can figure is it must be a bug with VLC. I assume you're still getting the error with beta 14?
Downloading now. Will let you know if it crops up again.
Ok, I just reproduced the error. Sequence is: - Enter SNES list (using the list view) - Scroll up and down across the video (no problem; it loads every time) - Load a game (I did Link to the Past) - Exit the emulator and return back to the list - Scroll across the video - Get error; BB crashes You want my copy of the video or something? I still have some suspicion that it's an encoding issue and that the player/BB is just choking on it. Something about the video and the state of BB after having left emulation.

Thanks @Justified and @kmoney2315, great to hear. @Bedwyr, what game's video is causing the issue? I can just download it from EmuMovies and test it myself. After thinking about it, even if the video is corrupt, I should probably figure out how to make it so that corrupted videos don't crash things. So it'll be a good test/way to fix that scenario.

Jason Carr said Thanks @Justified and @kmoney2315, great to hear. @Bedwyr, what game's video is causing the issue? I can just download it from EmuMovies and test it myself. After thinking about it, even if the video is corrupt, I should probably figure out how to make it so that corrupted videos don't crash things. So it'll be a good test/way to fix that scenario.
Ultima VI: False Prophet.

SentaiBrad said SNES or DOS so I can test it. Edit: Or Amiga. :P
Er, SNES:
For reference the file I'm using is located on the server at /Official/Video Snap Packs (480p)(HQ)/Nintendo SNES (Video Snaps)(HQ-480p)(EM 20160209).
The md5 check I got back from the Windows CertUtil was: e8 b8 4a 19 94 e6 62 fd e2 08 98 4a d9 c2 68 b5

Firstly big thanks for the platform background support for the games. It really looks much better now when I go through my games in BigBox :) It seems that the VLC engine doesn’t like playlists. I have some .m3u playlists which contain the EmuMovies gameplay video and some old TV commercials and they work totally fine with the WMP engine, but with VLC I only get an empty space where the video should be. The problem is in LaunchBox and BigBox. vlclaunchbox.jpg vlcplaylist.jpg Also when I have selected a game with a playlist in LaunchBox (with activated VLC engine) and switch to BigBox I get this error message. With WMP that error doesn't show up either. error.jpg