LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

sergeb and @Zeromod, I can certainly bring that view back in a beta here soon. There are significant problems with the image caching and I didn't expect that anyone would prefer it over the other new views. My apologies for that oversight. @Zeromod, I would appreciate if you could keep your feedback and communication positive in this thread; I really am out to make everyone happy and I will listen to feedback so there's no need to be harsh. As always, thank you @nyny77 and @kmoney2315. Can't wait for Monday so we can keep going. :) @Zombeaver, it sounds like your Metadata.xml is not up to date and is not updating from the LaunchBox Games Database. It should automatically update when you import games, or it should prompt you to update when you search for metadata. Is it not?

So I did some more testing of the Ultima VI video. - Downloaded a new copy twice and repeated the same behavior. - Uninstalled Launchbox, deleted the folder, and installed a fresh copy allowing LB to completely download new art, manuals, and videos. LB did not download the video for Ultima VI. It never found it. I copied one of mine over and repeated the error. I have threads of a working theory. It's not a corrupted video that's causing the problem. I'm convinced that the video is fine. The details of the problem may provide a clue: - The one trigger for me is probably that LB could not find the copy in its search and configuration process while importing the game art and videos from EmuMovies. - I have to manually set the video folder path for it to read a newly added video. - The video will always correctly play when in desktop mode - The video will always correctly play in BB mode, but only if I haven't entered and exited an emulator yet. - The error is the same error for any missing video. - My folder path is different than the default. For me it is d:\Games\Emulators\Launchbox So I wonder if there is a state that BB can get into where a non-standard install path can cause it to lose track of where a video is on emulator exit; something that's related to the inability of the search engine to correctly find and download the movie.

No problem. I reloaded my old configs again and failed to keep a copy of the automatic setup (in case you were tempted to ask something about it Smile). But do let me know if there's specific information you need whether system configuration or a particular test. That's about the best guess I can come up with from my end.

@Jason Well, when I try to do an import it has the launchbox games db listed as the resource to parse. It's obviously pulling some of the data because the text description/genre/etc. are coming through fine - it seems to just be relegated to some of the images. Is there something I should look for in the xml or something else I should test? Thank you for all your hard and continued work on LB/BB by the way. I've been involved in a number of other projects for a while but I've come back to working on my LB/BB setup recently and I'm really happy to see all the continued improvements that are being implemented. I really appreciate it!

Awesome, glad to have you back @Zombeaver. What's basically happening I think is that you Metadata.xml file is out of date. When you add a new game and hit the search button, are you prompted to update the local metadata? The immediate solution if for some reason that's not working is to download this zip file from here: http://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/Metadata.zip And then extract it into your LaunchBox\Metadata folder. It should overwrite the Metadata.xml and MAME.xml files. That shouldn't be necessary, but it seems like maybe the metadata downloads aren't working for you.

@Jason I do remember pulling some stuff in yesterday (which worked fine, by the way, this seems to have just started once I moved from the last beta to official) and the progress bar (once you go through all the initial import screens) said something like "updating local metadata" before the bar actually progressed, but that doesn't seem to be happening now. Just to confirm...I'm not going to lose anything if I manually overwrite my current Metadata and MAME xmls right?

That's correct; that won't overwrite any of your personal data. It's only the metadata that is used on imports and such. I think what might be happening is that the Metadata.xml that I'm distributing with 6.0 and 6.1 isn't the most up to date. It should automatically update anyways but I think it might be delayed a day actually, this is starting to make sense. I might have to put out 6.2 to fix that.

I overwrote them with the ones you supplied - worked like a charm! Not sure what would have caused it in the first place...kinda weird. Is there a github or something where we could access the newest xmls in the event this were to ever happen again? Not a huge deal, but I just prefer to fix my own junk if I'm able rather than pestering someone else :P Thanks for the help!

Jason Carr didn't meant to be harsh. I have an admittedly bad taste in my mouth from experience with the hyperspin people and the front end started to take a very hyperspin turn. I know that some people enjoy all of the flash, but I was happy enough with flat images and functional video snaps with a front end that did all of the heavy lifting for me, you are really doing great work here I was just knee jerk reacting to some changes.

Zeromod said Jason Carr didn't meant to be harsh. I have an admittedly bad taste in my mouth from experience with the hyperspin people and the front end started to take a very hyperspin turn. I know that some people enjoy all of the flash, but I was happy enough with flat images and functional video snaps with a front end that did all of the heavy lifting for me, you are really doing great work here I was just knee jerk reacting to some changes.
Yeah, I can sympathize with this. There are some real jerks over at HS. I made a post earlier about LB and it looking more like HS and expressed concern over going that direction. Jason has been great in listening to the community and at addressing concerns and problems relating to his software. I think we're all in good hands here and that has been proven over and over. My experience here on the forums has been nothing but positive and I never feel like I'm an inconvenience to someone when asking for help. Very refreshing! We have Jason, Brad and lots of other LB users here to thank for that. As I said in a previous post, others could learn a lot by watching our community here. The new wheel views in BigBox are beautiful, and it's great to see the FE maturing and evolving... Something HS hasn't done in years. Up and running on the latest version of LB and so far so good. I had some issues with images on the last beta, seems to be sorted out now with 6.1

That's ok @Zeromod, thank you for the apology at the very least. Some would never go that far. In terms of us turning in to Hyperspin, Jason nor myself have any interest in creating Hyperspin 2, or New Hyperspin or anything like that. I would go so far as to say that our wheel looks better to be quite honest, so much flash can get in the way sometimes so I think we're a good middle ground. A wheel only in Name! As for the expierence here of dealing with everyone, I hope you have a better time than anywhere else. I can't speak to the quality of their forums but we have heard from users that it has gotten pretty bad over there recently and we certainly strive to at least stay positive and fun. Jason and I are real people too, we just happen to be the owner, the developer ( both Jason), operators, and maintainers of the site. We just want everyone to enjoy their games.

No worries @Zeromod and sorry if I was harsh myself in my response. Just been getting TONS of feedback since the release (which is GREAT) so I'm rushing out responses. Glad to have you here, and I'm in agreement that there is such thing as too much flash. ;)

The wheels view on BB is definitely better looking than the ones on HS without a doubt. For one they are a little more spaced apart and not jumbled together which is easier on the eyes when looking for a game. Also they are cleaner and clearer looking being that BB supports higher resolutions. The hyperspin artwork over on there site, most of it is top notch with the wheel art being one of them. It is a shame that HS does not support higher resolutions. I actually think that BB being able to use their wheel art in higher resolution is actually doing justice to the great artwork that many members have contributed and put there time into making over on the HS forums.

We want to let everyone know that we are currently expierencing extremely high traffic on our server. We've maxed out our concurrent connection and we'll need to upgrade this ASAP after the weekend. If you are expierencing slow page loading, slow media downloading and slow LaunchBox updates this could be why. Everyone wants to get in to LaunchBox and we couldn't be more happy for the reasons why, but this will be something that we need to address.

Agreed @kmoney2315. :) Folks we're actually 100% maxing out a 100 mbps ethernet port right now. That is the cause of the slowness. Pretty incredible really if you think about it. I will be upgrading this to a gigabit ethernet port soon which will bring the speed back up, assuming this amount of traffic continues. I will have to schedule some short down time to upgrade the hardware, but I'll let everyone know.